Scars of Life

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

djm wrote: Or we could set this in India with a tiger. Perhaps we could thank Ganesh ... :D

djm
I used to work with a guy from India who had a little gold elephant-headed guy on his dashboard. It was very shrine-like, and kind of brought dashboard Jesuses to mind, so I asked "Is that Ganesh?" He responed "that is Lord Ganesh"

I was kind of amused ;)

(In all fairness, I'd have been just as amused if the same exchange had taken place with any diety on the dashboard)
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

Martin Milner wrote:
TelegramSam wrote:And the Duck says, "Wank, wank, wank!"
In the USA that must have a totally different meaning to what it means in the UK.
I should think you had an expression similar to that in your avatar when you read that. :boggle:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
TomB

Post by TomB »

Martin Milner wrote:
In the USA that must have a totally different meaning to what it means in the UK.

:lol:
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Although I don't disagree that a "religious content" label may be appropriate, I don't think it is really necessary. It only takes moments to get the drift of the thread from cran's post. If it doesn't appeal, why read on?

At least it makes a change from the footprints in the sand one.

Where's the harm, eh? Should the atheists and agnostics amongst us (me for example) write to the BBC and complain that Songs of Praise and the other small handful of religious shows that go out on a Sunday should be stopped, or that they should carry a warning label?

That'd be daft, as is the knee-jerk compulsion to complain every time someone mentions their faith. As long as the actual content isn't offensive, where's the problem? I once saw a website proclaiming that God says it's ok to keep heathens as slaves, which (it claimed) was a valid defence of the Confederate stance on African slavery. Now *that* is offensive to me.

Yer man is just offering positive, sweetness and light stuff. Get over it.

Sorry to snap, but the bloke either gets dissed for being a member of a "bizarre" and "silly" sect or gets grumbled at for posting something completely harmless.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Mark my words...y'all'r gonna git this thread locked iffen y'alls dont cut it out! :P :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Martin Milner wrote:
It has the same meaning, but it has a sort of secondary meaning of pointless bickering online, often over trivial matters. It's sort of along the sentiment of "talking is just masturbating without the mess".

See <a href=http://www.journalfen.net/userinfo.bml? ... ank>Fandom Wank</a> for details.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I do agree with you. I can't really respond further without possibly causing a problem.
Edited to say that I was agreeing with buddhu. And that I'm outta here.
Last edited by Cynth on Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
TomB

Post by TomB »

TelegramSam wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:
It has the same meaning, but it has a sort of secondary meaning of pointless bickering online, often over trivial matters. It's sort of along the sentiment of "talking is just masturbating without the mess".

See <a href=http://www.journalfen.net/userinfo.bml? ... ank>Fandom Wank</a> for details.
:roll:
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Tyler Morris wrote:Mark my words...y'all'r gonna git this thread locked iffen y'alls dont cut it out! :P :D
Possibly. Sorry. :oops:
djm

Post by djm »

Well, its a discussion forum, isn't it? Is no-one permitted a dissenting point of view? Or is it a pulpit for sermonizing or proselytizing? I agree a label in the Subject would be good, perhaps REL- or RT- or something.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:Well, its a discussion forum, isn't it? Is no-one permitted a dissenting point of view? Or is it a pulpit for sermonizing or proselytizing? I agree a label in the Subject would be good, perhaps REL- or RT- or something.

djm
What this topic is: completely hijacked. Sorry Cran. :oops:
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
djm wrote:Well, its a discussion forum, isn't it? Is no-one permitted a dissenting point of view? Or is it a pulpit for sermonizing or proselytizing? I agree a label in the Subject would be good, perhaps REL- or RT- or something.

djm
...i was also trying to find a tactful way of saying the same. Before JES beat me to it, I was going to say somthing like "Mebey this thread is going places Cran never intended it to, and it might make him feel bad. He wanted to bring something uplifting to the board and his religion is uplifting to him."
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:

djm
Yep. What Joseph and Tyler said. Apologies. :oops: :oops: :oops:

** Tapes gob shut **
TomB

Post by TomB »

Tyler Morris wrote:[...i was also trying to find a tactful way of saying the same. "

Tyler, tactful??? Now that is the funniest thing I've read here in a long long time.

:lol: :D

Tom
emmline

Post by emmline »

It's a nice story regardless of your religious pov.
Knees need not have jerked.