Space elevator robot passes 1,000-foot mark

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Actually, if you read the linked articles, they are proposing the Earth end to be tethered to a floating platform in the equatorial oceans somewhere. That would circumvent the USA needing to conquer some tropical backwater just to have an equatorial landbase.
emmline wrote:The idea of any kind of permanently installed cable strikes me as very strange somehow.
Yes, kinda like spinning through space with your fly undone. :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

djm wrote:Yes, kinda like spinning through space with your fly undone. :lol:

djm
a bit worse that that I'd think!
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

That's one elevator I wouldn't want to get stuck in. (Of course, I can't think of any elevators I would want to get stuck in.)

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

amar wrote:amar, a sanscrit name/word, meaning immortal. so, i'll be around quite a while.. :)
...unless this dood gets to you first....
There can be only one, amar...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i'll let this dude deal with that sissy:
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Rod Sprague wrote:THAT'S JUST COOL! Watch out Crystal People, here we come! I live in the eastern Washington, north Idaho area, so with a bit of detective work, I could probably figure out where they are just from the ecology and geography in the picture. If I do, I won’t tell anybody. That might even be Moscow Mountain in the background, the highest point visible from my hometown, Moscow Idaho.

Rod
That does look like they're out in the Palouse somewhere.

Neat.
Charlene
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Y'all been listening to Art Bell I fear.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

amar wrote:i'll let this dude deal with that sissy:
Connor killed Kurgan...
Duncan killed Connor...
you're still in deep sh*t, bro! :P :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

There are quite a few fairly recent sci-fi stories about space elevators. One of the more recent ones was about a competition, and it was cool becuase it gave a couple of not so obvious reasons why an ocean based connection would be safer, more convenient and cheaper than a land based one.

Of course it ended with the elevator being too short, so they made a platform from a few blimps....