How do 2 whistlers play together without it sounding boring?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-01 21:32, StevieJ wrote:

...Second, unless I'm missing something, no-one said that the question shouldn't have been asked.

No, they were just told the subject in question was "ridiculous" by two vastly experienced players. Maybe that has a different definition in Ireland or Canada, but here it means "you are an idiot for asking such a stupid question." Admittedly, Chris L made amends by posting an extremely educational and enjoyable post, but that doesn't excuse you for making light of an insult to an honest question. After all I've learned from your website and previous posts, I just expected better from you, Stevie.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:
:roll:
This is rediculous. Have any of you listened to Gavin Whelan, Mary Bergin, Laurence Nugent, Sean Potts - any trad musicians? By THEMSELVES they sound amazing, and very interesting. Why not try and play as well as them before resorting to gimicks like playing in intervals and playing rounds? One of the best sessions I ever played in was just four low F whistles. We all played the same tunes. No rounds. No harmony. No gimmicks. Just four low whistles playing jigs and reels 'till the sunrise. It sounded rediculously good.
My 3.7 cents,
Chris
Rounds and harmony are not gimmicks.
Reasonable person
Walden
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

On 2002-07-02 02:14, Walden wrote:
Rounds and harmony are not gimmicks.
Apparently, whether or not they are considered gimmicks depends on the genre. In Irish traditional, harmony is not prominent, but in the sessions I've attended, it is provided to some extent by the pipes, banjo, guitar, mandolin, and (with some stretch of the imagination) the bodhran.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Ridseard wrote:

Apparently, whether or not they are considered gimmicks depends on the genre. In Irish traditional, harmony is not prominent, but in the sessions I've attended, it is provided to some extent by the pipes, banjo, guitar, mandolin, and (with some stretch of the imagination) the bodhran.
That's true enough. You could offend someone's preconceived notions. But what's called "traditional" today (as concerns instrumental practice) is not what was traditional 40 years ago. And if you play it well, it may be traditional 40 years in the future.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The whole atmosphere here is turning a bit sour again, one of these phases is arriving where a minor remark will cause heaps of defensive outbursts and flame threads. And the ultimate one that always comes out in these situation ‘but not all of us play Irish music you know’, as if that is the fault of those who do.
To be honest I am getting a bit cranky myself, first because very little sensible has been said in general on this board [there were some notable exceptions though]and few, if any, interesting subjects have been raised on the board in recent weeks. I wouldn't have reacted to this whole thread at all if the two posters before me hadn't said a couple of things I only had been thinking but had decided against airing.
Irritation has been building for a time, in a lot of people, over threads like ‘who considers himself a pro-player here’ as if it matters what you make with it money-wise, do you make good music is what is it about or is that a totally outrageous thought?. I remember one thread a long while ago where people were asked how good the really were some. One person immediately reacted ‘I am a total pro’. This person regularly post messages he has his latest tune recorded and personally I think he hasn’t a fecking clue. So why bring up these non-subjects every time. Go out and listen to nice music, some of the nicest music I get to hear is being played by people who are total strangers to the notion of professional musicianship[I only realised after posting this both threads were posted by same person, makes you wonder, that]. What matters is whether or not, as an old fiddleplayer here Michael Downes calls it, you ‘can carry over a tune’. Play it well and give it meaning so that it speaks to the listener.

Anyway, the reason I disqualified this thread as ridiculous in the first place is plain and simple[and I did so admittedly solely based on the subject line]. If you regard your instrument and your music as potentially boring, then you obviously have little regard for either. If you think your music is 'boring' you can hardly expect people listening to it to think otherwise. What can you say to that, well what I said, better go out and learn to play your music well, it won’t be ‘boring’ then.
Chris eloquently elaborated on that. Realise you are are crap player, go out and listen to those who aren’t work on it and keep doing so until things improve. It’s the only way. And it is also something I have been emphasising for the past year. Regarding myself I have said time and time again I think I am a crap whistleplayer, I have taken some inspiration though from this board and have worked on it and I am less crap on the whistle than I was a year ago. But it’s work, rewarding and satisfying and fun as it may be but you don’t pick it up off the stones.

Sorry, I suppose that needed venting, let's not dwell on it and move on. At some point the sun will come out again and all will be well again.

I add a few bits, as to Walden's I am not fully convinced the music has changed all that much in 40 years, I play a good bit with older players [you have to cherish them I think and learn whatever they have to give while they are still here], in fact one of my more regular partners in music is a fierce old lady well into her seventies. A great concertina player who has been out of playing for 45 years and has gone back into it with a vengeance. Her music is very much as it was some 50 years ago. And it is not all that different from today's. Change, some yes, big change, no, not really as evolution is a slow process. Fashions come and go and only small bits worthy of the music are retained. And in the context of this music rounds and harmony ARE gimmicks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-07-02 09:52 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Lolly,

Good to hear you've got someone to play whistle with without a session - panic attacks can wait a while! Im hoping soon to be playing whistle/flute duets, sharing the music is so much better than playing alone.

If you have any whistle tutorial CDs, you would have the same problem - play EXACTLY what is on the CD, and you can barely tell there are two whistles. Of course, you rarely play exactly the same, you'd have to be Dr. Memorex or Captain Xerox or something to do that.

Two whistles playing together will push and pull against the rhythm & melody of the tune, just as a singer weaves a song in and out of the backing accompaniment. As our more experienced colleagues have said, but not in these words, the beauty of the music shines through the gaps between the variations. Listen to any recording of two of the same instrument playing together (fiddles, flutes, whistles, whatever) and you'll hear how they rarely pursue the exact same melody to get from A to B. One of my favourite recordings is St Anne's Reel played by 3 fiddles at once (On Bringing it all back Home)- the weaving in and out of three fiddlers around the theme is something close to heaven, and always brings a smile to my face.

So I would fall into suggesting you both play the same tune on the same key whistle but don't strive to play the tune the same. Know the tunes you are playing inside out, don't play from sheet music, and you free yourself up to discovering your own variations that make the tune your own, not just a copy of something you've seen or heard.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-02 04:28, Peter Laban wrote:
The whole atmosphere here is turning a bit sour again, one of these phases is arriving where a minor remark will cause heaps of defensive outbursts and flame threads.

Sorry, I suppose that needed venting, let's not dwell on it and move on. At some point the sun will come out again and all will be well again.
Good points...well said.
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

To Blackhawk and Neil (with apologies to everyone else):

Blackhawk:

I'm trying to understand how your expectations of me can have been disappointed. The only answer I can find is that you assume I think the original poster is "an idiot" for asking the question. If so, that is an enormous assumption and totally unwarranted. Please read my comments again.

Also, you have to realize that Neil is a very punctilious man. Several times in the past he has picked apart my posts phrase by phrase by phrase. So, in my previous reply, I thought I would give him a taste of his own medicine - without any added rancour. (Daft idea, probably.)

I was attempting - without offering any comment on the discussion at issue - to show him that his questions were predicated on false premisses.

Neil:
On 2002-07-02 00:57, ndjr wrote:
Are you suggesting that if someone has sufficient tenure on the board we are no longer obligated to be nice to them?
No. What gave you that idea? I was merely pointing out that your question was beside the point.
I was referring to the reception she got from a couple of "old timers" on the board who should have known better. Others of us had responded to her question in constructive ways when they chimed in, gratuitously, condescendingly, rather insufferably.
Yes I realize that. (Do credit me with a little intelligence.) Again, I was merely commenting on the way you phrased your question, which was tantamount to putting words into people's mouths.
How <b>is</b> one to know what is acceptable to ask, and what not? Is it in the FAQ somewhere?
I would have said that all questions are acceptable, as are all answers. Knowing your views on the importance of not silencing people, I would have imagined you would agree.
What harm does it do to be courteous?
It does no harm to be courteous, of course. That's a choice we can all make. I try. But tell me, would you silence those who fail to meet your criteria of courtesy? :wink:
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

On 2002-07-01 23:01, lollycross wrote:
Hi again all,
Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I play in a band, and I know a few tunes; but this time I was just wanting to know how to play with a new friend I had gained thru this forum.
We decided to try ALL the suggestions and see what happens. If it sounds bad, we will move on to another suggestions, and YES, we WILL HAVE FUN in the trying.
Thanks all,
Lolly
Good for you! :wink:

And I'm sorry that your thread got hijacked to side debates (to which I contributed somewhat....)... but at least your question got answered, in spades. :wink:

--Chris
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Anyway, the reason I disqualified this thread as ridiculous in the first place is plain and simple [and I did so admittedly solely based on the subject line]. If you regard your instrument and your music as potentially boring, then you obviously have little regard for either. If you think your music is 'boring' you can hardly expect people listening to it to think otherwise. What can you say to that, well what I said, better go out and learn to play your music well, it won’t be ‘boring’ then.
Where did the original poster every say anything remotely close about "boring"??? She just said that she wanted to know how she and a friend could best play their whistles together.

I found it a very reasonable question, one that hadn't even occurred to me, and the helpful replies were great ideas and suggestions that I'm going to try the next time I get together with my sister. Thanks, Lolly, for asking a good question, and thanks everyone else who replied with good ideas.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-07-02 12:14, Cees wrote:
Anyway, the reason I disqualified this thread as ridiculous in the first place is plain and simple [and I did so admittedly solely based on the subject line]. If you regard your instrument and your music as potentially boring, then you obviously have little regard for either. If you think your music is 'boring' you can hardly expect people listening to it to think otherwise. What can you say to that, well what I said, better go out and learn to play your music well, it won’t be ‘boring’ then.
Where did the original poster every say anything remotely close about "boring"??? She just said that she wanted to know how she and a friend could best play their whistles together.
She said it in the subject line of the thread.

Oooops! Now I did it. I was going to stay out of this thread, but here I am. While I am here, let me just say that if you are going to harmonize, don't just use a C and an F whistle and play the same fingerings. A tune has harmony built into it, and by just doubling it at fixed interval you destroy it. If you want a harmony part, you will have to understand the harmonic and tonal structure of the piece.
/Bloomfield
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Oops Bloomfield, my bad. I read the original post carefully several times but I guess the subject line I didn't!

My apologies.

:smile:
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

On 2002-07-01 21:18, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
That's a really, really good question and one that merits a good answer. Really, one can not expect a new whistler to know all these things. However, one would think that they'd want to learn them. My experience here, a source of frustration, is that many new players, and a lot of the people who have been playing for a long time but are still not any good do not want to hear any sound advice about improving their playing.
Thanks very much for your response, Chris.

The frustration I can well understand. The discipline of fifing is different from that of whistling, but I've found myself in parallel situations. I was, and am, very much interested in fifing, in learning all that I could about it, and in improving my skills with daily practice. Then when I go to a reenactment there are sometimes both "fifers" and "drummers" who want to fall in with the group but do none of the above, or are being led by parents who entertain the notion that the Field Music is cheap daycare. When I make suggestions for improvement, they aren't taken up, by parents, by "musicians," by officers, by enlisted men. It can be <i><b>very</b></i> frustrating.

But that still doesn't give me leave to be rude. A sense of humility is a very worthwhile thing to develop.
Rather, they reject advice and knowledge that could help them a lot, even going so far as to verbally attack those who offer the advice.
I looked back over the thread, and found nothing at all from lollycross which answers this description, and might have justified the later responses.

I edited out your stories about whistle and flute lessons to reduce space. I can only say that I am all too well aware of my own shortcomings and work daily to improve my skills, as do you. I am able to listen to myself play, and generally know when my rhythm, or whatever, is off, but it can take a while for the fingers to learn to follow the mind. I have also been around accomplished players, of both Celtic and fife music, who maintained an absurdly inflated notion of their own worth, and who very carefully eliminated the possibility that I might be able to learn anything from them. Why would we want that to happen here?
I love that so many people here play out of shear enjoyment without a care about every becoming good players. That's wonderful. However, I get really frustrated when people ask for advice on how to become good whistle players and then reject good advice when it's given, favoring instead the lazy path to poor musicianship.
Advice is a funny thing. The giving of it doesn't confer control over what the recipient does with it. It's an issue of long standing -- read up on "Pearls Before Swine" in the Bible.

It seems to me that in giving advice, one has to be unselfish. Give it, and then let the others make of it what they will. If it appears that some don't respect what you've given them, then perhaps it isn't worthwhile to give them more. So ... don't. Quietly.

Remember, though, that people trying to grasp an elusive concept may approach it with questions from different directions. It is well to be patient with that, because it is an extremely useful method. That means that Joe Blow may ask you <i>this</i> today, <i>that</i> -- which is very similar to <i>this</i> -- tomorrow, and <i>another thing</i> on the day following, or week, or month. Is Joe not paying attention, or just working out a problem he finds difficult?

It is well to be patient. I have seen the desire to play music quenched by the arrogant, the immature, and the mistaken, who thoroughly misinterpreted a situation. ( "Self love is more opaque than a solid body." M.B. Eddy ) That is very sad when it happens -- "a little bit of Mozart murdered," as St. Exupery put it.

In any event, I'm sure there are poor players in Ireland. It's historically accurate, part of "The Pure Drop." :wink:
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Cees, no worries! This thread has taken on a decidedly Beckett quality, anyway. :grin:
/Bloomfield
Cees

Post by Cees »

:grin: