My Humps....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

My Humps....

Post by brewerpaul »

I must be getting old...

There's a song getting a lot of airtime recently (so I'm told) called My Humps by the Black Eyed Peas. You can see the "lyrics" at:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/blackeye ... humps.html

Now basically, and to be crude about it, this is a song by some woman singing about her tits, and how guys keep buying her stuff just to get at'em.

Doesn't this strike you as sort of wrong? Doesn't the fact that this is so popular on commercial radio strike you as even more wrong?

The thing that made me post this thread was the fact that we went to a Bat Mitzvah party last night and sure enough the DJ played this work of art. For a group of 13 year olds...sheesh...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Turtle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Turtle »

I haven't heard that one, apparently it doesn't get much play on
Armed Forces Radio. Sounds like something my teenage daughter
would listen to just to annoy me.
emmline

Post by emmline »

It's a stupid song. Of course they play it at kid functions. Reminds me of that one that was featured prominently in Charlie's Angels--it's called the Big Butt song, or somesuch, and contains some rather, um, interesting references.

I would hope that people with varied enough interests and intelligence, whether they be listeners or performers would eventually outgrow this stuff.
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

It's not an age thing. I'm 19 and still couldn't read through the whole page without feeling a headache coming on. :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Wake Up Little Suzie comes to mind, as does She Bop, and a few Fats Wahler(sp?) songs. I suspect it is an age thing, I mean, there were plenty of songs back in the day that dealt with sexuality and they drove our parents nuts. :D
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Wake Up Little Suzie comes to mind
Wake Up Little Suzie wasn't really BAD was it? Or am I really that naive?? :o Now mind you, I didn't "get" most of the music I listened to in the '80s (Little Red Corvette comes to mind here...it took my husband telling me what it all meant for me to understand it :roll: ).

As for that particular Black Eyed Peas song, I've never heard it (that I know of). While my eldest would consider herself to be musically "savvy" in the pop/rock genre, she's really not in to their genre. She's more of an alternative type (as she walks out the door in her combat boot looking Docs).
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I don't know if I'm alone in almost never listening to the lyrics of songs.
I listen instead to the music, the instuments, etc.
(As long as there is actually a tune associated with the song, which is debateable in much of today's music.)

I probably couldn't sing along with 90% of what's out there.

M
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Fats Domino: Blueberry Hill. Queen: Get Down, Make Love. Throughout the decades there are plenty of examples of strong sexuality in song lyics... nothing has changed, except the lack of creativity in disguising the lyrics. When you think about it, these songs are aimed at the youth... those whose physiologial responsibility it is to add to the numbers of the human race. Last time I checked, folks at 65+ weren't bearing new souls into the world. :D
Jack

Post by Jack »

Yes, Paul. I'm in 100% agreement with you.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

her lumps?

how romantic..
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Eric Burden once remarked on how hard it was to be the father of a teenaged boy when you were the guy who had a hit with It's My Life. :lol:

Interesting too that both writer and singer of My Generation show no signs of dying before they get old.

Chuck Berry was already middle-aged when he had a hit with My Ding-a-ling—now he actually was a danger around under-aged girls.

This one won't mean anything to non-Australians but some people I knew (Skyhooks) in the 70s had a big hit with a song called You Just like Me 'Cause I'm Good in Bed and it wasn't at all unusual to see 14 year old girls singing along at gigs.

If it's any consolation, I really don't think anybody actually did anything as a result of hearing these songs that they wouldn't have done anyway. When I was going through puberty we had the class Beavis who could make a double entendre out of anything. Prior to the advent of racing hormones, he had seemed clever. To us he quickly became just stupid, then sad—something insensitive viewers of Beavis and Butthead don't realise the authors understand perfectly well. So I really don't regard the fact that this still happens as very significant.
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, but I can'help thinking this is pretty naive, not to mention prudish.

Standing on the bridge at midnight
Throwing snowballs at the moon
She said no, she'd never had it
But she spoke too bloody soon
Its the same the whole world over ... etc.

How many centuries old is that? This kinda stuff has been around forever. I find it hard to believe people still cocoon themselves in a Victorian whitebread world. We are sexual beings, always have been, and teenagers most of all. Why would anyone be surprised to hear lyrics that suggest girls like to flaunt their bodies to get material things from boys. This is supposed to be something new? Come on, folks, get real!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

no, it's not new, been around forever. there are just good ways and bad ways to write it. of course, in the end it all means the same. :)
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:not to mention prudish.
I am prudish (especially for my age-group), and I don't deny it.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Aussies are quite good at naughty lyrics >>>

http://www.purelyrics.com/index.php?lyrics=cfaaofya

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon