Safe and sound in belgium

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
ninjaaron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Safe and sound in belgium

Post by ninjaaron »

Well, I've arrived at college, in belgium safely.

You may stop worrying about me now.

As school has begun, I assume I will be posting much less frequenly. I'm sure you are all heartbroken.

The whistles are a hit here, as are my PVC flutes. Still don't know where I will buy PVC, or where I can find a drill to use (I brought my tape measure, drill bits, sharpest pocket knife, and favorite file along. No worries on that).

It's funny, you know. Picking up whistle basics wasn't too rough, after already having a music backround (they say it's even easy for people without, which I don't find difficult to believe). Still, I'm pretty much a novice in terms of technique and ITM phrasing and all. Thing is, nobody I've met in real life knows anything about technique or ITM phrasing. They all think I'm good.

This is kinda re-occuring theme in my thought life. Not sucking and having people think I'm good, but reconsiling what I know to be true with the things that other people percive.

That's kinda random. I suppose I feel reflective today, Which may be fine and dandy, being that I am a college student.

My decending cuts are a disaster. My ascending cuts are now decent sounding if I've been practising them in a phrase, but I can't really just through them in a song where ever I feel like it. Ah... Cuts... my first attemps to sound like a real whistler.

Sold a flute to a guy on my guitar forum.

There you have it. I'm sure you are all so interested in this post.
Everyone likes music
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

The Mellow Dog is still awsome, by the way.
Everyone likes music
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Hope everything goes well for you at college in Belgium. How did you get over there. What is you main field of study going to be?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Good luck in Belgium Aaron. What a great experience for you!
When you have some time, send over a few pics....

M
Jack

Post by Jack »

Which part of Belgium?

HAVE FUN!
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

I'm in some town called St. Peitrs leeuw or someing, it's right outside of Brussels.

I'm working on my BA in Theology, with a focus in biblical languages.

Pictures... hmm... gotta get my laptop working with the network here, then I can probably do that. Right now I can only post pictures of myself in Denmark, Ireland, and Wisconsin :P (yes, that was supposed to sound cocky)
Everyone likes music
Jack

Post by Jack »

ninjaaron wrote:I'm working on my BA in Theology, with a focus in biblical languages.
Me, too! Well, not quite...but really close. Whether or not I'll be able to study Biblical Greek is up in the air because of the professor's schedule and other things.
ninjaaron wrote:I can only post pictures of myself in Denmark, Ireland, and Wisconsin :P
I read statistics recently that the country with the second lowest known* number of evangelical Christians in the world was Pakistan, but the country with the absolute lowest (and this surprised me, which is why I remember it) was Denmark, and Denmark had 10 times fewer than Pakistan! It's so sad.

*This didn't include countries for which information wasn't available, like Saudi Arabia, but it's still a frightening statistic.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Belgium? You lucky so-snd-so (I can't call a theology student a devil). Hoist a few Hoegaardens for me.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Aaron

Sell a few of your flutes and then treat yourself to dinner in Brussels. Go to Cafe Vincent and ask for "mools" . I have no idea of the correct spelling. I'ts clams baked in garlic butter and served with crunchy fresh baked french style bread. To die for.

Best

PS Go see the Grand Platz on Saturday morning too.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Cranberry wrote: I read statistics recently that the country with the second lowest known* number of evangelical Christians in the world was Pakistan, but the country with the absolute lowest (and this surprised me, which is why I remember it) was Denmark, and Denmark had 10 times fewer than Pakistan! It's so sad.
Then you might find it strange to hear than I attended a Bible School in Denmark.

Denmark is in a pretty poor spiritual state, it's true, but there is beginning to be more of an openness towards spirituallity, and there are actually some very good state churches which are not counted in that number.

Perhaps God has something for Denmark after all.
Everyone likes music
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

ninjaaron wrote:

)
If you're into theology, make sure to visit some of the Trappist monasteries and drink some of their phenomenal Abbey ales!

In fact, Belgium has been called The Disneyland of Beer-- more different styles than you can imagine. They range from fairly conventional to some REALLY unusual brews-- lambics, strong beers, fruit flavored ales. Man, I'm jealous. Even if you're not a beer drinker, try some of the local specialties. You may be surprised.
My alltime favorite beer is Duvel, which is a Belgian strong ale. Pale, with a head that doesn't quit and a flavor like nothing else. Mmmmm....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Rob G

Post by Rob G »

brewerpaul wrote:
ninjaaron wrote:

)
If you're into theology, make sure to visit some of the Trappist monasteries and drink some of their phenomenal Abbey ales!

In fact, Belgium has been called The Disneyland of Beer-- more different styles than you can imagine. They range from fairly conventional to some REALLY unusual brews-- lambics, strong beers, fruit flavored ales. Man, I'm jealous. Even if you're not a beer drinker, try some of the local specialties. You may be surprised.
My alltime favorite beer is Duvel, which is a Belgian strong ale. Pale, with a head that doesn't quit and a flavor like nothing else. Mmmmm....
Well, I don't know that much about theology, but if you ever visit antwerp (half an hour by train from Brussels), I can probably learn you some things about beer. I don't know if Duvel (Devil) is the right stuff for a theologystudent but you have to try it.

Cheers,
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Belgium's an under-rated country. Try the stoemp, Belgium Bangers n' Mash.
Rob G

Post by Rob G »

peteinmn wrote:Aaron

Sell a few of your flutes and then treat yourself to dinner in Brussels. Go to Cafe Vincent and ask for "mools" . I have no idea of the correct spelling. I'ts clams baked in garlic butter and served with crunchy fresh baked french style bread. To die for.

Best

PS Go see the Grand Platz on Saturday morning too.
It's spelled "moules" I think, you should also be able to to ask for "mosselen", Flemmish (I have now idea about the correct spelling of that word in English) is still an official language in Brussels although French may be more succesfull.

'Stoverij' is also great but I have now idea how it's called in French.

BTW: I might be interested in a flute, I'll try to PM you later.
Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

There are some good music festivals in Belgium, I don't know if it's still exists but there was one in a place called Gooik (pronounced HOYK and near Brussels)
I've been to an event at a place called Lavoir Heron in the south, it was at an old water mill in September. Nice atmosphere but cold.
I second the recomendation of Duvel, also try Orval (it's also a nice place)
and I have vague recolections of something called Maredsuse? It came in a 7 or 10% variety.