Lovely Rita, no Meter maid.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

It looks like the worst has passed and we still have power and internet connectivity. (well, duh.) The power blinked a bit over night several times and I had to pull the fuses on the alarm because the siren kept running through a test cycle when it powered up. There have been a few fires around town and apparently about 500,000 people are without power, but no deaths have been reported.

It looks like we really lucked out, the worst part of the storm didn't really make it west of I-45. I haven't yet spoken to my mom on the south side of town to see how they are doing. This could have been much worse if the storm had come right up I-45.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Any reports from Galveston yet?
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

There's wind damage but much less than expected. There was a fire in the Strand and several buildings were damaged but I'm not sure how much. Which is sad, there are so few historical districts left in this area. The environment and politics destroy them faster than folks can save them.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Our power went out last nite about 3:15 a.m. Our whole family basically slept right thru it.
We have had power back on now for about an hour or so.
We had water all along.
Except for a few downed trees around the neighborhood, no damage.
We are lucky.
I am glad it's over.
I think I'll keep our supplies handy for the next one!

Mary
Galveston sustained remarkably little damage!
Poor Louisiana
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Wombat wrote:Any reports from Galveston yet?
There is a road block at the causeway to Galveston and they are only letting city empolyes, doctors, nurses, teachers, ect. back on the Island.
We just got back from Franklin (south east of Waco.) Everything is OK here in Santa Fe (south of Houston). I think the worst of went to our neighbors in Beaumont and Port Arthur.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tommy wrote:
There is a road block at the causeway to Galveston and they are only letting city empolyes, doctors, nurses, teachers, ect. back on the Island.
We just got back from Franklin (south east of Waco.) Everything is OK here in Santa Fe (south of Houston). I think the worst of went to our neighbors in Beaumont and Port Arthur.
I understand the reasons for medical professionals and city employees, but why teachers?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:
Tommy wrote:
I understand the reasons for medical professionals and city employees, but why teachers?

They are city or county employees and have to assess damage to schools. If the schools were used as shelters, they have to clean them up.

They're also government employees and therefore not going to be coming in to loot. Nor will they be likely to cause disruption to restoration activities currently in progress, i.e., they're not going to go out surfing and or offering chainsaw-for-hire services and thus require rescuing themselves.

Few groups are guaranteed non-looters and identifiable as such except for health care workers (who all have hospital IDs) and government employees.

A lot of the rationale behind restricting re-entry and forcing it into "stages" is to get enough respectable people in first that criminals can't rush in and run amok.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Just a moderate rain falling on the Brass Roof Inn at this time. :)
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

BrassBlower wrote:Just a moderate rain falling on the Brass Roof Inn at this time. :)
Be careful. Remember what it said in the Good Book, "Noah looked out the Ark an' saw..."
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Flyingcursor wrote:It's slowed down quite a bit and moved further north I see.

Yesterday they predicted it would make landfall at Galveston by early Saturday morning. Now it's predicted to hit NE of Galveston later Saturday. Looks like Louisiana will get a lot of rain.

I predict the eye will actually make landfall in either SW Louisiana or right on the border sometime later tomorrow.
Ha. I was right.

I'm glad all our C&Fer's are OK. Glad it didn't slam into Galveston and the highly populated areas.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm