C & F for Re***der?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Unseen122 wrote:I was just curious I do not play Recorder myself but I play lots of other stuff. I thought is there a parallel universe where Recorder players make fun of Whistle players saying that they are immature (pronouncue with a strong "t" sound) and not sophisticated enough to play a "real" instrument. Like the opposite of what we say about them.
Ha ha! Im mah TOUR!

Could be such a place, I'll warrant.

Are you sure they've discovered the internet, though?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:I was just curious I do not play Recorder myself but I play lots of other stuff. I thought is there a parallel universe where Recorder players make fun of Whistle players saying that they are immature (pronouncue with a strong "t" sound) and not sophisticated enough to play a "real" instrument. Like the opposite of what we say about them.
Ha ha! Im mah TOUR!

Could be such a place, I'll warrant.

Are you sure they've discovered the internet, though?
now, now
no reason to be fussy...just 'cause they can read music

whistler's chromatic jealousy

:D
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

What they don't know is that I can read music and I would like to see a recorder player transpose a tune in C on to a C Whsitle (ie reading the music as a C being a C).
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I was going to say “don’t they already have a forum? The whistle forum…” but then I looked at it and noticed no debates on double tonguing, triple tonguing, arpeggios, the relative differences between boxwood and pear wood, and whether baroque fingering was superior to German! Oh the fun!

(one day my account will be locked)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I daren't make pejorative remarks about recorder players because (a) such a person used to come to our session (b) he's a very big man (c) you never know who's lurking around these lists under strange noms-de-plume (d) Steve Shaw is my real name and he'll know who I am and he knows where I live. That's why I'm not posting to this thread. :o

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

SteveShaw wrote:I daren't make pejorative remarks about recorder players because (a) such a person used to come to our session (b) he's a very big man (c) you never know who's lurking around these lists under strange noms-de-plume (d) Steve Shaw is my real name and he'll know who I am and he knows where I live. That's why I'm not posting to this thread. :o

Steve
Very prudent of you, to be sure.

All the recorder-baiting here is of course all very tongue-in-cheek. Usually. Still, I cast my barbs hoping a particular recorder player, who knows who I am behind my C&F nick and lurks here occasionally, will read them and seethe (hey, Tom!! :party: ). :D We're actually good friends, if I may be so bold, and not least because he does NOT play recorder at ITM sessions. He thinks it's just wrong, and you gotta respect that attitude. Steve, you might be interested to know that not only is he a very good button accordion player, but he plays a real mean harmonica too, and has done so admirably at sessions on the rare occasion that he forgot the squeezebox.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote:I daren't make pejorative remarks about recorder players because (a) such a person used to come to our session (b) he's a very big man (c) you never know who's lurking around these lists under strange noms-de-plume (d) Steve Shaw is my real name and he'll know who I am and he knows where I live. That's why I'm not posting to this thread. :o

Steve

Not to mention that re***ders are thick and hefty beasts, able to deliver the occasional sound thumping.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Lambchop wrote:

Steve

Not to mention that re***ders are thick and hefty beasts, able to deliver the occasional sound thumping.
Well, exactly. This guy used to bring three wooden ones to the session and, man, they were LOUD! He greased 'em up before we started by eating two or three packs of pork scratchings, and he claimed that he warmed them up to get them in tune by putting them down the front of his trousers. Despite the voluminous nature of the pants-front in question and the undoubted heat generated therein it distresses me to have to report that "being in tune" was a foreign concept to him. :sniffle: A bonus to him emanating from this practice was that no-one ever asked to borrow his re***der. I can't think why not. :-?

If a very large Englishman comes to your session and starts to play Sir Sidney Smith's March on the re***der, do NOT attempt to accompany him on the b*dhr*n! :boggle:

Steve

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A greazy recorder player! :lol:

There's one that'll show up here maybe once or twice a year. Poor guy has the unfortunate habit of drooling when he plays. We call him "Mr. Spittle". Come to think of it, he's a bit on the sebaceous side, himself.

What's up with these socially challenged recorder players, anyway? Is it, like, part of the package? :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Nanohedron wrote:A greazy recorder player! :lol:

There's one that'll show up here maybe once or twice a year. Poor guy has the unfortunate habit of drooling when he plays. We call him "Mr. Spittle". Come to think of it, he's a bit on the sebaceous side, himself.

What's up with these socially challenged recorder players, anyway? Is it, like, part of the package? :wink:
In the days when I used to go to the session at the Welly in Boscastle we were occasionally joined by this itinerant lady called Jan (because of her chosen domicile we bestowed on her the soubriquet "Jan the Van" - geddit?). She was much given to playing tunes on a very cheap plastic recorder (we just let her get on with it). One night she brought a guitar with her and a young person whom we took to be her teenage daughter. Jan the Van was part-way through a set of tunes when the daughter picked up the guitar. Jan spotted this out of the corner of her eye, stopped playing, roared out a string of obscenities to the effect that she would rather the girl put down the guitar immediately and then - the good bit - seamlessly picked up the tune and carried on playing as if nothing had happened. A rare moment of magic, and from a re***der player too!

Steve

Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I hope I haven't been misunderstood. I don't think recorders should be allowed in sessions if other players don't want them. I do think that one jig BigDavy sent me was wonderful. But that was a recording not a session. I just think they sound fine as instruments on the occassions I have heard them, which would not have been in a session.

That man sounds like a particularly revolting sort. I think of recorder players as being very clean and quiet people. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:A greazy recorder player! :lol:

In the days when I used to go to the session at the Welly in Boscastle we were occasionally joined by this itinerant lady called Jan (because of her chosen domicile we bestowed on her the soubriquet "Jan the Van" - geddit?). She was much given to playing tunes on a very cheap plastic recorder (we just let her get on with it). One night she brought a guitar with her and a young person whom we took to be her teenage daughter. Jan the Van was part-way through a set of tunes when the daughter picked up the guitar. Jan spotted this out of the corner of her eye, stopped playing, roared out a string of obscenities to the effect that she would rather the girl put down the guitar immediately and then - the good bit - seamlessly picked up the tune and carried on playing as if nothing had happened. A rare moment of magic, and from a re***der player too!

Steve
Ummm, would this be the same woman as the one who had the tambourines and the egg-shaped shaker thing?

Share that one again, would you? Reading that was the closest I've ever come to PMP . . .
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OBD Monaghan Jig

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Cynth

If you like the track, you have loved the live version even better, that tune is my favourite one that any of the incarnations of OBD played.
The live version was effectively Johnny Hardie on recorder with Dave Cattanach on djembe with minimal backing from the rest of the band, man it kicked ass.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps