A flutely whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bfloyd

A flutely whistle?

Post by bfloyd »

Hello again all. You are all probably getting bored and tired with my curiosity and learning of the whistle, sorry.

I have been listening to as many sound samples as I possibly can of different whistles and in my taste and liking, it seems that I am attracted to ones that almost sound flutey. By flutey I mean airy with a touch of breath behind the tone as almost in an actual irish flute. Three that I have really been attracted to in sound (not so much in price :( ) have been a - "Copeland soprano D in nickel - $300, a Burke Brass high D with delrin tip - $140, and a Whitney Brass high D - $75" (the latter not too bad in price).

I'll add a link to the sound samples I found these at and if anyone could listen to them and comment on them, I would be very greatful. Perhaps it has alot to do with the player that they are sounding with the flutey tone.

http://www.songsea.com/tinwhist.htm

Thanks, Bryan
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

You could just go for the real deal and get a tipple or Casey Burns folk flute. . . .

Join the Dark Side. . . it is your Dessstiny!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
bfloyd

Post by bfloyd »

Wormdiet wrote:You could just go for the real deal and get a tipple or Casey Burns folk flute. . . .

I could . . . but I'm not much of a side blown player . . . :(
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

bfloyd wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:You could just go for the real deal and get a tipple or Casey Burns folk flute. . . .

I could . . . but I'm not much of a side blown player . . . :(
Neither was Matt Molloy before he started :)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

The Burke composites have a very flutey sound to them, especially in the low whistle varieties. The low D composite I had was quite nice. I don't know about the high whistles though. You might try looking at the Black Diamond whistles from Erle Bartlett. The one I played had a very complex sound.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I invested in a Copeland whistle for that same flute-like sound, and it has delivered beautifully. My Burke is purer in tone and less complex. An added advantage (for me especially) is that the tone holes of a Copeland are a little closer, which makes it more comfortable to play.

I have no experience with a Whitney.

Hope you find the right one! :)

Jennie
bfloyd

Post by bfloyd »

Thanks Jennie and IDAwHOa. I understand that the waiting list for a Copeland is quite long right now . . . shame to, because the sound clips I've heard of them are very, very nice. Perhaps a Burke may be a good fit. I have only read about The Black Diamond and haven't heard them yet. They are priced much more attractively . . .
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Reyburn whistles would be another good bet. You can custom order the sound you'd like the whistle to have. The ones I've heard/played have a pretty complex, flutey sound.
www.reyburnwhistles.com
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

irishflutestore.com currently has a couple of Reyburn high d's in stock at a very reasonable price.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
talimirr743

Re: A flutely whistle?

Post by talimirr743 »

bfloyd wrote: You are all probably getting bored and tired with my curiosity and learning of the whistle, sorry.
My opinion is, you can never learn to much; and if any one is willing to learn, I think someone should teach them.
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Overton
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

some people say a good generation Bb is flutey. I have one and can see what they mean. It's actually one of my favorite whistles. really an increadible deal at $7 + five minutes of tweaking (fill-in the gap, and that's all I did).

You may notice that a Bb is not in D however. D is overrated...

Especially if you play with a jazz combo... not that I do... but piano players seem to be fond of my Bb whistle as well, and I do play with them from time to time.
Everyone likes music
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

talimirr743 wrote:My opinion is, you can never learn to much; and if any one is willing to learn, I think someone should teach them.
Your opinion is incorrect. It defeats natural selection :wink:
Everyone likes music
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

ninjaaron wrote:
talimirr743 wrote:My opinion is, you can never learn to much; and if any one is willing to learn, I think someone should teach them.
Your opinion is incorrect. It defeats natural selection :wink:
Your analysis is incorrect. Ignorance (in one who wishes to learn, and who can learn) is contingent, not genetic, so it cannot be modified through natural selection. :P

(Not that anyone is likely to fail to reproduce as a result of failing to find a "flutey" whistle.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe