Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?

Post by Walden »

There's an animated cartoon film being advertised, called
Corpse Bride. It's a Tim Burton production. Then
again, I'm not usually one for Tim Burton cartoons. That
version of Legend of Sleepy Hollow was so far from the
book that I cannot see how he can call it based on it.
Reasonable person
Walden
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Everyone finds Tim Burton productions disturbing. Probably even Johnny Depp.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

I usually like Burton's work. I'd say Sleepy Hollow was the weakest I've seen. Most of his stuff has noticable flaws, but the oddball charm and originality generally outweighs them. His Batman had a lovely dark quasi-gothic feel. The realisation of Gotham was inspired.

Even when he just writes and/or produces his style shines through blending with that of the director, as in the two animated ones he did with Henry Selick (sp?), James & the Giant Peach and Nightmare before Christmas.

Big Fish was brilliant. One can excuse the borderline oversentimentality because the movie has real heart and just works... despite the brits doing dodgy American accents.

I like Burton, even if he does wear silly hats.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I usually like Burton's stuff. I actually liked Sleepy-Hollow. I didn't care for Nightmare Before Christmas. Fortunately it was less then 2 yonks long.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I didn't care much for most of Nightmare Before Christmas...I thought it could have been a better movie if it were shorter. It had a few nice touches though.

Corpse Bride looks interesting, in a sick sort of way.

I have an oddball sense of humor, anyway, though, and tend to laugh at all the wrong things in movies.

--James
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Here's favorable review. There was also one in our local rag this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... se_bride_3
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

What disturbing is that when I saw the preview I thought, "For a dead chick, she's kinda hot."

The fact that Helena Bonham Carter does her voice helps too.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

My favorite Burton film is the short about a boy and his resurected dog... I believe it was called Frankenweenie. Of course, it helped that the dog Frankenweenie was a Bull Terier. :D

Nightmare was OK, but I expected a little more 'Burton' from Tim. :D
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I'm not usually a movie-goer--the last time I was in a theater was with my sister to see "The Incredibles." But no, I'm not disturbed. I haven't liked all of Tim Burton's films and never got all the way through "Edward Scissorhands." But I have liked some of them--"Beetlejuice" among them.

I've always figured that being a Southerner of Irish extraction gives me a genetically morbid sense of humor. And I really like animation, particularly the stop-motion animation used here and in my other favorite films "starring" Wallace and Grommit.

I just checked out Ebert's review before writing this reply. He gives it 3 stars and has some interesting things to say.

But back to "disturbing"--I fully realize that my sense of humor doesn't mesh with everyone elses, so if the concept bothers you, don't go. I don't go to very violent movies because that's what I find disturbing in the cinema. I'm not going to pay 8 or 10 bucks to give myself nightmares.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
emmline

Post by emmline »

I can pretty much second Marguerite here, right down to the weird sense of humor.
There was a very favorable review in the Baltimore Sun this morning, which mentioned that Burton partially derived this movie's concept from a Russian folk-tale which does involve a guy accidentally marrying a dead person. The reviewer also likened it to a tale of adolescent romance in which the classic somewhat-less-than-confident hero botches his chances with the perfect girl for him, meets up with a bolder girl on the rebound (who in this case, happens to be dead,) and through that relationship develops the self-knowledge he needs to stand a chance with Ms. Right.
It sounds very interesting to me, but I have written fiction involving strange themes as well. Perhaps those of us who are already disturbed are not disturbed by this kind of thing!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Sean Means of the Salt lake Tribune wrote: Movie Review: Burton's 'Corpse Bride' is a dead-on delight
By Sean P. Means
The Salt Lake Tribune

Victor Van Dort, voiced by Johnny Depp, and the Corpse Bride, voiced by Helena Bonham Carter.

Corpse Bride

Where: Theaters everywhere.

When: Opens today.

Rating: PG for some scary images and action, and brief
mild language.

Running time: 76 minutes.

Bottom line: A funny, and inventively gruesome, thing happens on the way to the altar in this animated treat.

As "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" begins, Victor Von Dort has the worst case of cold feet ever recorded - because, as he practices his wedding vows, he accidentally puts the ring on the finger of a cursed corpse, who surprises poor Victor by saying "I do."
If this isn't a perfect story for Burton, the man behind such macabre delights as "Beetlejuice" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," then no such story exists. Burton and co-director Mike Johnson, who got his first movie job on the Burton-produced "Nightmare Before Christmas" (which this new film strongly resembles), have crafted a little Halloween treat that is devilishly funny and intricately animated.
When we are introduced to Victor, voiced by Burton's frequent collaborator Johnny Depp, he is on his way to an arranged marriage to shy and sweet Victoria Everglot (voice of Emily Watson). Victor's nouveau riche parents have the money but no social standing, the Everglots have the title but no cash, so everyone agrees - in one of the jauntily dark musical numbers penned by Danny Elfman - that this wedding is what both families need.
Then Victor ends up married to the undead Emily (voiced by Mrs. Burton, Helena Bonham Carter), who whisks him down to the underworld and its party-hearty denizens. (It's fun to note that the land of the dead is shown in splashy color, while the so-called "living" live in drab grays.) Emily, we learn, was murdered by her money-grubbing fiancé as they eloped, and has waited for a new groom to lift the curse on her. So, while Victoria fends off another suitor (voiced by Richard E. Grant), Victor must choose between a living fiancée and a dead wife.
The characters have the hallmarks of Burton animation (think "Nightmare Before Christmas" or his early Edgar Allan Poe-inspired short "Vincent"), namely spindly limbs and bulbous heads with giant ping-pong-ball eyes. The eyes become part of the joke in "Corpse Bride," since one of Emily's pops out at inopportune moments when her in-house maggot - a green wormy creature with a voice like Peter Lorre - emerges to offer advice.
The gaunt figures make for an interesting challenge for stop-motion animation, one that Johnson takes on with exacting grace and visual wit. (For example, one side joke is an underworld "Second Hand Shoppe" that sells - what else? - hands.) Endlessly inventive and gruesomely fun, "Corpse Bride" is further proof that Burton's imagination only has free rein when there aren't actual human beings in the picture.
movies@sltrib.com
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

So far, we've like all the Tim Burton films we've seen, Sleepy Hollow among them (in fact, it's on our 'to own' list). But then, we don't go into the theatre expecting to see the book... it's a bit impractical, given that each person who reads a book gets a slightly different vision of the characters, the scenery, and tends to see slightly different aspects of the story as more important than others. I can't see how anyone *could* get a book from the author's brain onto the screen without clips, snips, fudges and the like... even if it is the author that produces and directs... some things can be gotten across in print that have to be handled differently in visuals. It's the nature of the beast.

Also, I don't expect, nor really even want to go into the theatre and see "the book"... I've *read* the book (usually), and no-one can match that... so I go to see *that* person's take on it. In the cases where I have not read the book first, if the movie is good, I will often decide to read the book, and have almost always enjoyed the book even more. They tend to differ, yes, and that can be a good thing.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:My favorite Burton film is the short about a boy and his resurected dog... I believe it was called Frankenweenie. Of course, it helped that the dog Frankenweenie was a Bull Terier. :D
That movie got my kid in some trouble when he was in 1st grade, fer cryin' out loud! Here's why:
The kids were reading this in school:
My kid had just seen Frankenweenie.
The teacher asks if anyone can tell something they know about frogs and toads.
My kid says "when you touch a dead frog with an electrode, it twitches."
(see, in Frankenweenie, it was just such a science demonstration that gives the kid the notion that he can reanimate his departed bull terrier.)

I got a call later that day from the school principal, no less, to discuss the appropriateness of a first grader having thoughts of this sort. I gather she and the teacher presumed that we had a large slab in our basement with lots of switches connected to a lightning rod on the roof.

I tried not to laugh at her.

My kid only lasted one more year in that elementary school before it became evident that they were incapable of teaching a child who was dyslexic, ADD, and rather an extreme right-brain thinker.

Interestlngly, he's in 8th grade now at a great private school which serves his needs very well. Still, when I talked to his science teacher last night she was giving me the old how-he's-doing-this-year talk, and mentioned that his math class had had a survey assignment in which they created a list, and polled people on such topics as favorite ball team, favorite band--whatever they chose.
Gabe's list was something like this: Which is coolest?
a. a supersonic ray gun
b. a teddy bear that tries to kill you when you're
not looking.
c. a cute cuddly teddy bear.
d. a Vortex of Doom.
....I can't remember the rest...

At least the teacher laughed about it, even when I mentioned that I had chosen Vortex of Doom.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

anniemcu wrote: Also, I don't expect, nor really even want to go into the theatre and see "the book"... I've *read* the book (usually), and no-one can match that... so I go to see *that* person's take on it. In the cases where I have not read the book first, if the movie is good, I will often decide to read the book, and have almost always enjoyed the book even more. They tend to differ, yes, and that can be a good thing.
That really is the fun part of seeing cinematic versions of books; seeing that particular director's interpritation of the book/story in question is part of the whole expereince for me...for as much as I read, i try and put out of my head the literary version until the movie is over. Then I try not to be overly critical of where the movie is lacking; has there ever been a movie made of a book that has exceeded its namesake? Probably not, so I try not to worry about it...movies are fun, books are more fun, but they are also a different kind of fun.
The directors interpritation of the book is paramount to making the story work on film, and as we know from the LOTR movies (and many others) there are just some things that would be far too difficult or impractical to film, for either budget, time or continuity reasons...
Take the proposed Star Trek DS-9 movie that was shelved...
(ok, not a book, but to make a movie with DS-9 as the center is tough after the fact, because it's no longer there!)
For continuity reasons, technically a DS-9 film cannot be done because DS-9 was destroyed, but the idea behind the movie was to create an "alternate reality" situation, a storyline that was completely removed from continuity with the series... the original idea was to try to comprise the story with the final events of the series as a seperate story line...which is why it was shelved before it got off the ground.
That example is a bit of a stretch, but y'all get it right?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

emmline wrote:... when I talked to his science teacher last night she was giving me the old how-he's-doing-this-year talk, and mentioned that his math class had had a survey assignment in which they created a list, and polled people on such topics as favorite ball team, favorite band--whatever they chose.
Gabe's list was something like this: Which is coolest?
a. a supersonic ray gun
b. a teddy bear that tries to kill you when you're
not looking.
c. a cute cuddly teddy bear.
d. a Vortex of Doom.
....I can't remember the rest...

At least the teacher laughed about it, even when I mentioned that I had chosen Vortex of Doom.
Your kid sounds way cool, Emm!
put me down for a Vortex of Doom too!