Its always you

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
markv
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by markv »

On 2002-06-30 15:21, Wandering_Whistler
wrote

reply: "Good for you!"

Hey Greg, this is a family board. I certainly won't read any posts from people bragging about making "those" kind of films!

:smile: x :smile: x :smile: x

Mark V.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Teri

I freely offer an apology. Reading through this thread the first time, I was in too much of a hurry and read stuff into your first post that was totally out of context.

FWIW, I'd be surprised if some of the 'departed' are as gone as you suppose. I find it difficult to believe that someone with an interest in music and the whistle could turn off the attraction so readily. There are many among the old-timers who don't speak much anymore, but maybe that's just because so many of the newer arrivals also have interesting things to say.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

:roll:
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I am a newby both to this forum and to the whistle. But let me say that this forum is a model of politeness compared to the Flamenco board I have been a member of since its beginning about ten years ago. The Flam. list is well named because about every 3-6 weeks it erupts in a fever of name calling, slander, deliberate obtuseness and profanity, usually initiated by the same 2-3 people. Believe it or not, one member was actually physically asaulted by another member because of something that was said on the list. They are real crazies over there.

There will always be newbys, asking the same newby questions. There will always be some OT stream of consciousness posting. It's human nature and part of the attraction of a forum like this. I think some people come to think that it is their right to have interesting and educational banter on a forum like this. But, people, we don't own this forum or others like it and we also get it for free! For free I can put up with a lot of baloney.

Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burnsbyrne on 2002-07-01 13:12 ]</font>
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I think you're absolutely right burnesbyrne. I totally second what you say about civility on this board, although I have been physically assaulted several times by Tighress, with various whistles. (I should start a thread on the topic: A Burke Brass Wide Bore Pro Session High D hurts a lot more than a Walton, even a Walton C.)

On 2002-07-01 12:23, Walden wrote:
I think we have a worthy successor to "It's Sickening" being born!
Sorry, Walden, I think you didn't understand what It's Sickening was about (while it still was about something). Don't worry about it, it's just as well. But this little thread is nothing like it.
/Bloomfield
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Hey! No fair making me laugh out loud at work :wink:
On 2002-07-01 12:26, markv wrote:

Hey Greg, this is a family board. I certainly won't read any posts from people bragging about making "those" kind of films!

:smile: x :smile: x :smile: x

Mark V.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

On 2002-07-01 12:57, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
:roll:
My sentiments precisely.

Dale
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

I'd like to say a couple things.

The first is, if you have time, go to http://www.flute.com, and browse the message board there. It's mean, juvenile, and occasionally obscene.

The second is, Teri-K, please stay! You are one of a handful of people whose learned responses in prior topics prompted me to search under "Teri-K" and read everything you've ever written! I am one newbie who really, really appreciates your input, in writing and music.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Thank you whistleworks for your thoughts. I've often thought that many of my posts were kinda "me..me..me", but have never really figured out how to write a reply otherwise. I will continue to work on it.

Thank you also for providing me (there I go again with the "me" stuff) the chance to share some of my (dangit) thoughts about this board. I've been reading the board for almost a year and posting to it for about 4 months. I find that the overall caliber of people here is outstanding. The insight, humor and compassion that I find here help round out my life. The whistle is merely the glue that binds this community together...not its only purpose. I find myself worrying about the Deadwood fire and how Anna is doing. I wonder how Mack Hoover's recovery is coming. I was bummed when I heard of Gemm84's crushed flute and TelegramSam's cracked fipple. Amused at Dale's constant search for the answers to the world's great whistle mysteries. Laughing out loud when the "lamer" thing reared its ugly, yet extremely comical head. I also learn a lot about whistles and music...types, techniques, and theory. I've even had the privilege to meet or correspond with some of the C&F members...all very fine people.

Off topic or not, I think that this place is full of wonderful people, with wonderful thoughts and ideas.

Thanks to each and every one of you.

Eric
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

On 2002-07-01 12:27, Chuck_Clark wrote:
Teri

I freely offer an apology. Reading through this thread the first time, I was in too much of a hurry and read stuff into your first post that was totally out of context.

FWIW, I'd be surprised if some of the 'departed' are as gone as you suppose. I find it difficult to believe that someone with an interest in music and the whistle could turn off the attraction so readily. There are many among the old-timers who don't speak much anymore, but maybe that's just because so many of the newer arrivals also have interesting things to say.
Chuck:

No need for an apology, but thank you. We've all done the same.

On your second point: I sincerely hope you're right.

T
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

On 2002-07-01 17:42, thurlowe wrote:
I'd like to say a couple things.

The first is, if you have time, go to http://www.flute.com, and browse the message board there. It's mean, juvenile, and occasionally obscene.

The second is, Teri-K, please stay! You are one of a handful of people whose learned responses in prior topics prompted me to search under "Teri-K" and read everything you've ever written! I am one newbie who really, really appreciates your input, in writing and music.
Thurlowe:

I agree with your comparisons to other boards and lists. rec.music.bagpipes was mentioned in an earlier post - that was one of the worst I've ever seen, due in large part to one individual. I dread the day that person discovers our pipe forum here.

I did not say I was leaving, and by no means meant to insinuate that I was. My comment was based on conversations I've had with some disenchanted members off-board and actions I've seen in the past. I apologize if I sounded as though I was stomping off - not my intention.

Learned responses - generous, but not deserved. There are so many others much more qualified to speak with authority than me. I have a deep respect for them, their wisdom and hope they continue to contribute.

T
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey Teri: He (RL) got kicked off IRTRAD too. I couldn't believe the stuff coming out of one person. He was like Ignatius in Confederacy of Dunces. Even used some of the same terminology, like world view and the like.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-07-01 21:43 ]</font>
Pywacket

Post by Pywacket »

This post is making me cross-eyed!!!
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

On 2002-07-01 21:40, The Weekenders wrote:
Hey Teri: He (RL) got kicked off IRTRAD too. I couldn't believe the stuff coming out of one person. He was like Ignatius in Confederacy of Dunces. Even used some of the same terminology, like world view and the like.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-07-01 21:43 ]</font>
Amazing someone is so infamous on music boards and lists that just the mention of "one individual" triggers recognition, isn't it? He moved to the uilleann email list a couple years ago and is ceremoniously booted from there on a regular basis. It's a matter of time before we're invaded - he plays whistle as well.

T

My previous pipe teacher gave me his book - I sure wouldn't have paid for it!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I've been to boards with so much flaming my monitor started to smoke, and I find what is called "flaming" here to be mostly misunderstandings and such. As somebody pointed out above, we don't get a visual aspect here so body language is absent, and it's really easy to misinterpret.

Coming to this board is one of the joys of my day - even reading threads like this, where I still learn something new (human nature is a marvelous puzzle). What I see on this board is a lot of knowledge and a willingness to share it, and a lot of support even when a beginner asks a question that has been fried a thousand times.

I still have to teach myself how to PLAY my whistle(s), but just about everything I KNOW about whistles I learned on this board. Thanks, everybody.
<font size="small"><marquee>But
I'm just a beginner, so what do I
know...... </marquee></font>