Need help from the group before bed tonight...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
S.B.O'Gill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need help from the group before bed tonight...

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

Ok, so I am finished with my Clarke Meg. It is just too "pitchy" and sounds like dookie. I want to try one of those strait-walled whistles with a plastic mouthpiece. I'm thinking of buying one of these models before I go to bed tonight.

Acorn
Clare
Feadog
Generation
Oak
Waltons

You guys steer me in the right direction here. Which of the ones listed would I be the most happy with? I just want a plain-jane strait-forward whistle with no "issues." LOL... Help me please. I don't want to have to buy 10 whistles before I find one I like. I'm a broke-as-a-joke college student.

Alternatively, one of you guys who has like 100 whistles laying around could send me one of your cast-offs and I would be happy to paypal you up front for the shipping!!
ShadowBG625
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Go with a Walton. My first whistle was a Walton Nickel C, and it is THE BEST whistle I own. That'd be my recommendation. Nickel C and D are good. In brass, the Walton Mellow D is super. Hope this helps.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

ShadowBG625 wrote:Go with a Walton. My first whistle was a Walton Nickel C, and it is THE BEST whistle I own. That'd be my recommendation. Nickel C and D are good. In brass, the Walton Mellow D is super. Hope this helps.
I totally agree. Go with the Walton! :D
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Get one of each.
And maybe a Mellowdog tweaked to go with it.
Then you've sorta got an idea what's out there in the cheap whistle range.
Then maybe do a search on tweaks and figure out what to do with the whistles you don't like.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Of your list, Oak is my favorite.

That's just me, though. Can't guarantee you'd agree.

--James
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Walton's Mello D (wide-bore) and Walton's C whistles are very nice.

I don't care much for the Walton's standard-bore D whistles - personal taste, likely.

I like Feadogs - slightly rough sounding, but very traditional (and very consistant, too).

I like Oaks, but they may not be the best beginner's whistle - they require better breath control than most beginners have. I've never played an Acorn, but believe that they're more similar to an Oak than anthing else (lower-cost version of the same basic design).

Generations have a reputation for poor QC, but they can be fairly easily tweaked if necessary - and a good Generation is a very good whistle.

I need to try a Clare - there are enough folks on the board that like them, and the two-piece would be handy.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Remember that these are very cheap, mass produced instruments you are
talking about. Multiple whistles from the same company will vary, certainly
with Megs, but especially with Generations. Also, don't forget that a large
part of the sound may also lie with the experience of the player, so don't
throw your Meg out yet, you may pick it up in a year and it will sound great.

That being said, I have 2 Feadogs that sound awful in the second register,
and my Claire is unplayable. But others will almost certainly have had
different experiences with those brands, and that's OK. You just have to
experiment. There are few sure answers with the cheap whistles. (But you
can find some incredible whistles among the cheapies.)
Lambchop

Re: Need help from the group before bed tonight...

Post by Lambchop »

S.B.O'Gill wrote:Ok, so I am finished with my Clarke Meg. It is just too "pitchy" and sounds like dookie. I want to try one of those strait-walled whistles with a plastic mouthpiece. I'm thinking of buying one of these models before I go to bed tonight.

Acorn
Clare
Feadog
Generation
Oak
Waltons

You guys steer me in the right direction here. Which of the ones listed would I be the most happy with? I just want a plain-jane strait-forward whistle with no "issues." LOL... Help me please. I don't want to have to buy 10 whistles before I find one I like. I'm a broke-as-a-joke college student.

Alternatively, one of you guys who has like 100 whistles laying around could send me one of your cast-offs and I would be happy to paypal you up front for the shipping!!
When I first started playing, I didn't like this whistle, then that whistle, then the next whistle, and the next.

I kept thinking there was "a better whistle" out there.

You know what I've learned? Whistles is whistles. You have to approach them on their own terms. They aren't virtuoso instruments like a Stradivarius or a Steinway. They're just whistles.

Most importantly, they're not recorders! When you stop expecting them to sound like recorders, or baroque whatzits, and expect them to sound like whistles, they'll start sounding just fine.

If your whistle sounds like dookie, it's because you're playing it dookie. I don't intend that to sound mean or unsympathetic. It's just the way it is.

You have to play the whistle for what it is, on its own terms.

I know this to be true because every one of those whistles I hated initially . . . all those crummy, cheap whistles that sounded like dookie . . . now sound just fine. Including the Meg, which I hated most of all.

It wasn't the whistle. It was me. Once I got the right attitude toward the instrument and learned how to work with it, rather than the other way around, we got along.

There are lots of whistles. High end. Low end. But none of them are, not really, bad whistles. They're all pretty much the same. Including your Meg.
Last edited by Lambchop on Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I hated the Walton's Mellow D I had...either gave it away or tweaked it into oblivion, don't recall. The Clare I have never gets played - a very ho-hum whistle to me. Generations can be "iffy". In my opinion, a Feadog is as good as any whistle out there.

Susan
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

peeplj wrote:Of your list, Oak is my favorite.

That's just me, though. Can't guarantee you'd agree.

--James
BUT you have to keep in mind "Old Growth" oaks - IE before the design change - are an entirely different whistle than the newer ones. And much superior, IMHO. The newer ones are raspier, and harder to control. I doubt anybody could find the older ones in a store these days.

EDIT: Actually, compared to my "new growth" Oak, my Meg is fantastic. I like the mellower "conical" sound, I guess. THe Oak might be a better session whistle because it "cuts through" better. But cutting through with a cheese grater isn;t something you necessarily want.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
RamblDoc

Safe bets

Post by RamblDoc »

I think the Walton Mello D is the safest bet. My old Soodlum's (pre-Walton) Mello D is a very serviceable predictable instrument. Most everybody thinks the Walton "narrower" bore standard D is not a safe bet, by comparison.
The Acorn Surprise - -
Recently I bought an Acorn tin whistle pack (includes whistle, instruction book and CD) for about $18, to give to a nine-year old great-niece. I found the whistle to be surprisingly good, no big problems transitioining into the second octave, fairly clean tone, too. The mouthpiece appeared to be of Delrin like the Oaks.
I've found a couple of Feadogs, tweaked and untweaked that are OK. But I've played one that was terrible.
My Oak was simply unplayable, raspy, scratchy difficult second octave, unremarkable first octave. I put a Hoover Whitecap ($20) on it, which made it a fine instrument.
Hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you. RamblDoc
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Lambchop wrote:.......Whistles is whistles. You have to approach them on their own terms. They aren't virtuoso instruments like a Stradivarius ........
Darling, violins is violins too but that don't mean you cannae havea "virtuoso" violin. See?

I mean lets drop our gramma pie and get real earthy now, ay?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Jerry-tweaked Mellow Dog (Ebay, G. Crossings, others).
You won't find a more raved-about cheapish whistle out there.
Less money that an evening of pints at the pub.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Chiffed wrote:Jerry-tweaked Mellow Dog (Ebay, G. Crossings, others).
You won't find a more raved-about cheapish whistle out there.
Less money that an evening of pints at the pub.
Precisely what I was about to say... will cost less money than having to buy multiples of the cheapo-mass-produced ones, trying to find a good one... You'll *have* a good one, and then can wait for a decent one of the others to find you. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

talasiga wrote:
Lambchop wrote:.......Whistles is whistles. You have to approach them on their own terms. They aren't virtuoso instruments like a Stradivarius ........
Darling, violins is violins too but that don't mean you cannae havea "virtuoso" violin. See?

I mean lets drop our gramma pie and get real earthy now, ay?
I think there is more room for negotiation with a violin. There isn't all that much you can do with a whistle to improve it.

Granted, there are better and worse ones, but when you have people making fine music on low-end models . . . well, I think that says something.

And, on a personal note to you, Tal, kindly refrain from criticizing my speech habits. I write the way I talk.

Clearly, it's not good enough to allow entry to those fancy "by invitation only" places, but it's good enough for here. If you don't like it, have the good manners to keep your views to yourself. Ridiculing the speech of others is deplorable, and I suspect that is true even in Australia.