Any music (or at least drink) in Plano, TX?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Gee, I was feeling like Plano might be one of those nice places to live that you wouldn't really want to visit, but then I found this!

Southfork Ranch
Your tour at Southfork will take you up close and personal with the most infamous Texas ranchers of them all- the Ewings! While longhorns and horses graze in the background, you can tour the "Ewing" Mansion and grounds made famous by J.R. and the clan. Eat a bite at Miss Ellie's Deli and take home some designer western wear or collectibles from the unique gift shops. Admission: $8.95 for adults, $7.50 ages 55+, $6.50 ages 4-12. Group rates available. For more information, call: (800) 989-7800, or (972) 442-7800. Click on the cows for more Plano info.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

jsluder wrote:
Yeesh! Are they gonna stop having the NTIF, as well?
At $8.00 just for parking (above and beyond ticket prices), not likely. :boggle:

I was moving around the site to see if I could find out what ticket prices were, too..I recall paying something like $25.00 last year just to get in the door. Crazy! And then, oN the NTIF terms and conditions page, I see this:
The SCMA specifically denies you permission to hyperlink or provide references to any page within the Site, with the exception of the "index" page.
Draconian! And also unenforceable.

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,35306,00.html
Deep linking has an official seal of approval now that U.S. District Judge Harry Hupp has ruled that websites can legally provide links to any pages on all other sites.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cynth wrote:Gee, I was feeling like Plano might be one of those nice places to live that you wouldn't really want to visit, but then I found this!

Southfork Ranch
Ewww! Thanks a lot Cynth! I finally managed to suppress my memories of that show, and now you drag it back out. :evil:

And, actually, Plano isn't one of those nice places to live or visit. :twisted:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I was trying to give it the benefit of the doubt. :lol: We're supposed to be finding fun things for Bloomfield to do. I think we'd better concentrate on the bars.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cynth wrote:Well, I was trying to give it the benefit of the doubt. :lol: We're supposed to be finding fun things for Bloomfield to do. I think we'd better concentrate on the bars.
Unless they've changed the laws since I lived there, Plano is a "club members only" city. Which means that, to purchase a drink in a bar or restaurant, you have to buy a "club" membership (usually $1 or $2). The alcohol laws in Texas are determined by the individual towns, so you can have a completely dry town, a wet town and a club town within a few miles of each other. :roll:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh, that's right. Walden put that map up with the three types of counties. I hope the clubs let just anyone join. I guess I'd bring some good books to read.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Well, at least they don't shoot whistle players!

do they?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Denny wrote:Well, at least they don't shoot whistle players!

do they?
Depends. Did you spook the cattle?
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

do they?
My neighbors have often told me how much they enjoy my playing.

My neighbors also know that I earned an expert marksmanship award in the navy. ;)
Denny

Post by Denny »

jsluder wrote:

do they?
Depends. Did you spook the cattle?
Nope!

'course I don't play whistle either!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Wanderer wrote:

do they?

My neighbors also know that I earned an expert marksmanship award in the navy. ;)
It is always nice to have understanding neighbors...
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Are you looking forward to your trip yet, Bloomie? :P
Robin

Post by Guest »

Denny wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

do they?

It is always nice to have understanding neighbors...
Only in America and mostly in Texas.

But all is not lost. There are oudles of sessions around if you are in the right end of the state. Mr Wanderer above seems to be the king of the hill on the coast and here in Old San Antone there two official and a load of home sessions - musical that is ahem not to deter the sale of Shiner but to shew that we do like to harfe a toone or twoo... hic.

OTOH you could try Oklahoma City renowned for its population of descendents of old west outlaws and fiddlers. Mention of which reminds me that of all the states in the US Oklahoma has some finetOT American music.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Bloomfield wrote:...I thought I'd consider descending on a session...
...like a murder of crows, I expect. :D
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

There used to be a nice place down on Greenville Ave in Dallas that had some pretty good music, and maybe even a session going. It was a coffee house. I remember that I first heard Kevin Burke there. They mis-advertised the music as starting at 9 instead of 8, and I was the sort who showed up for everything an hour early anyway. There were maybe 5 people present when he came out to play, and it was WONDERFUL. He came down off the stage and asked us to join him around a table, and he played and chatted for an hour or so, then when people started showing up he moved up on the stage and kept on playing.

There was a proper Irish 'pub' in South Dallas, but I couldn't tell you where.

But if you're in TX, why not sample the local sound? There is some good Cajun around there, and over in Fort Worth there are great bars and such with all the country western sound. And I'd go looking for Buffy's Quality Cafe too!

Have a great time, Bloo! I lived in Dallas, Richardson and Addison back in the mid '80s.

Sincerely,
Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe