Fixing a warped LP? (vinyl record)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

DaleWisely wrote:Oh, listen, Carol. I'm not trying to break any comedy records here.
Well, now that I think about it, maybe I am. So scratch that.
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

DaleWisely wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Oh, listen, Carol. I'm not trying to break any comedy records here.
Well, now that I think about it, maybe I am. So scratch that.
Sorry Squire, I scratched the record... Sorry Squire, I scratched the record... Sorry Squire, I scratched the record... Sorry Squire, I scratched the record... Sorry Squire, I scratched the record... Sorry Squire, I scratched the record...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
carrie

Post by carrie »

Geez, this whole thing is spinning out of control and I don't know a single thing I can do about it. Go ahead, label me a killjoy, but this seems like a capitol waste of time.

Carol
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Anybody gotta decca cards?
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Can't we disc cuss this properly. I'm coming to the conclusion that you're all bums. Don't press me any further. Any more of this and I'll be B-side myself with rage.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

LimuHead wrote:I was thinking about leaving it in a hot car with the windows up between two boards for a couple of hours.....

Seriously though, (I know that's asking for a lot) is there any way that works?

Oh, and I'm enjoying reading the replies.....

Aldon
May I suggest...
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Or perhaps this article will help: How to Unwarp a Phonograph Record - At Your Own Risk
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

I once had an Elvis LP that was warped in the same fashion. I had someone suggest placing the LP on a flat surface in a hot oven for a couple minutes. Not wanting to bake vinyl I decided to hold the record just above the flame on the stove burner. I only did it for very short amounts of time until I was able to forcibly (but lightly) bend the vinyl. It didn't come out perfectly straight, but I was at least able to play the record after that without any problem. Of course you have to be really careful of how much heat you apply and keep the record just far enough from the flame that it only gently heats. Don't want to lose the grooves in the record now do we? Disclaimer: I didn't really care if this particular record got ruined further, so was not afraid to give it a try, it was already unplayable with the warp anyway!

:D
Ailin
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
djm

Post by djm »

Okay, so let's try this web site's method. I sandwich my warped LP between two pieces of plate glass and put them into a preheated oven at 150 degrees for ten minutes.

Right, all done. So now we just sit and wait and ... oh, jeez maybe they meant 150 degrees Farenheit. S**t! Wait a minute ... what's that smell .... :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

djm wrote:Okay, so let's try this web site's method. I sandwich my warped LP between two pieces of plate glass and put them into a preheated oven at 150 degrees for ten minutes.

Right, all done. So now we just sit and wait and ... oh, jeez maybe they meant 150 degrees Farenheit. S**t! Wait a minute ... what's that smell .... :boggle:

djm
Might as well bake cookies while you're at it.
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Brownies. I'd rather have chocolate brownies, hold the vinyl please.
:D
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
djm

Post by djm »

Ailin wrote:Brownies. I'd rather have chocolate brownies
Don't let Redwolf make them if you value your innards.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Don't even bother trying to flatten it, your wasting your time. The performance is whats important, not the vinyl. Stick a coin or two on top of the tonearm until it's heavy enough to track and record it to tape, or if you've got the hardware, digitize it and burn a CD.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

MarkB wrote:Skeet range...pull!

Markb
Didja ever see "The Kids are Alright"? Keith Moon was doing something like that.
I.D.10-t wrote:LP’s are so cheap at garage sales, by a box full for $3 and warp them in the car. Then the experimentation begins! Such a fun project.
When I had a warped wheel on my bike, I asked a guy at a bike shop how to adjust the spokes to straighten it. He gave me the general recipe, but said it was a lot of trial and error and I should try it on a few bikes before my own. I asked him if they had some wheels I could use or something. He replied, "Nah, just go to a bike rack at night, that's how I learned."

I've tried to flatten out records. Never found anything that worked. So I'd just put some extra weight on the tonearm and tape the ones that were warped.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Yes, a nickel on the tone arm does wonders, but only up to a point. If they are warped to the point of being lumpy, it's a lost cause.

On a related note, I took my kids to the Kansas Museum of History last weekend, and there was a section devoted to the 40s through 80s where they got to see their first record.

"What's that?"

"That's a record. I've told you about records."

"Cool. What's that?"

"That's a record, too."

"Why does it have that big hole?"

"They just did."

"Cool. "<short pause> "What's that?"

"That's Pong."

<Long pause as they consider the general inadequacy of both records and Pong> "Were you alive during World War II?"
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow