a few whistle types . . .

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bfloyd

a few whistle types . . .

Post by bfloyd »

I have been looking and researching on recommendations from you fine people here and have come across a few questions regarding different types of whistle manufacturers.

First, are there any advantages, one over the other, regarding straight and tapered whistle bodies?

Second, I have read a few other threads here and seen a "mellow dog" being a good choice for a whistle. Is this a combination of a Feadog and a Mellow D from Walton?

Lastly, are the PVC whistles from Tony Dixon a wise choice for a beginning player? I have seen a simple model on sale for under $20.

Thanks, Bryan
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

bryan

I have a number of reviews that may help you make a whistle decision. The Mellow Dog is there (which is a combination of a Mellow D and a Feadog)
http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/reviews.asp

I don't have a Dixon review up (though I have two that I've been meaning to get around to)..many people like the tone of the Dixon. That said, many people also find the second octave to be a little sharp compared to the first, so it's something to think about if you have a very discerning ear and discriminating tastes in that regard.

Also, Dale has a lot of whistles commented on here under (whistle guides)
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/

Also, James Peeples has a bunch of reviews here:
http://www.flutesite.com/whistles.htm
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: a few whistle types . . .

Post by anniemcu »

bfloyd wrote:I have been looking and researching on recommendations from you fine people here and have come across a few questions regarding different types of whistle manufacturers.

First, are there any advantages, one over the other, regarding straight and tapered whistle bodies?

Second, I have read a few other threads here and seen a "mellow dog" being a good choice for a whistle. Is this a combination of a Feadog and a Mellow D from Walton?

Lastly, are the PVC whistles from Tony Dixon a wise choice for a beginning player? I have seen a simple model on sale for under $20.

Thanks, Bryan
I have no tapered bore whistles (gave them away), so cannot address your first question, but I can the next two.

The Mellow Dog is Jerry Freeman's tweek, and produces an excelletn whistle for a very low price. I believe he does use the mouthpiece from one and the tube from another, plus some serious work to turn the whole into a new, unique and exceptionally playable whistle. Well worth the owning!!

A friend of mine has a Dixon, and it is a nice whistle. Of the two (Freeman Tweeked Mellow Dog, and the Dixon) I would still stick with my Mellow Dog... but if I had spare moolah, I'd probably have both.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
bfloyd

Post by bfloyd »

Thanks all. Great links!!
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I used to have a Dixon (actually it is the one that Wanderer has right now) which was a very nice Whistle and pretty quiet which is good for a beginner. If you have played other woodwinds before I would not suggest it. The only tapered bore whistle I currently own is a wooden whistle made by Phil Bleazey but that is probably way out of your price range I did have a Sweetone (also gone to Wanderer) which was one of my favorite cheapies.
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Hi Bryan,

I bought a Dixon D, with a brass tuning slide, and liked it so well that I now also have a Dixon Mezzo A, G & Low D. To be fair, I also have a Dixon Bb that is not all that great. I started on a Tweeked Clarke Original from The Whistle Shop, a conial bore whistle, still a nice sweet sounding whistle. The Mellow Dog, a Jerry Freeman tweaked combo of Mellow D & Feadog, is IMHO one of the best choices for a starter whistle. Nice sound, easy to play.(By the way, none of these rank as my current 'favorite' whistle. That's a Greenwood D :roll: )

BUT, fair warning ... everyone here has 'favorite' whistles, tastes vary immensely. If you're lucky enough to live close to where a large celtic festival is being held soon ( ... like Cincinnati, OH, this coming weekend) you could find several varieties of whistle for sale in one 'location', that you could possibly try before buying.

Have fun picking out some whistles. You could get a conical bore & a straight bore for starters and make your own judgment call. Sounds like you have a wonderful musical background. :)

Judy
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Jerry's Mellow Dog is a Walton Mellow D tube (the wider bore like most cheapo brass Cs rather than the usual narrower D diameter) with an extension to correct the notoriously out-of-tune Walton bell note. The head is a Feadog Mk III C head with significant tweakage very cleverly applied to the blade and the void under the beak.

A great whistle. However, if you're a dunce like me, it can take a while to get used to. Well worth the effort though.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
bfloyd

Post by bfloyd »

jkrazy52 wrote:Hi Bryan,

I bought a Dixon D, with a brass tuning slide, and liked it so well that I now also have a Dixon Mezzo A, G & Low D. To be fair, I also have a Dixon Bb that is not all that great. I started on a Tweeked Clarke Original from The Whistle Shop, a conial bore whistle, still a nice sweet sounding whistle. The Mellow Dog, a Jerry Freeman tweaked combo of Mellow D & Feadog, is IMHO one of the best choices for a starter whistle. Nice sound, easy to play.(By the way, none of these rank as my current 'favorite' whistle. That's a Greenwood D :roll: )

BUT, fair warning ... everyone here has 'favorite' whistles, tastes vary immensely. If you're lucky enough to live close to where a large celtic festival is being held soon ( ... like Cincinnati, OH, this coming weekend) you could find several varieties of whistle for sale in one 'location', that you could possibly try before buying.

Have fun picking out some whistles. You could get a conical bore & a straight bore for starters and make your own judgment call. Sounds like you have a wonderful musical background. :)

Judy

Thanks Judy. Actually, I live in Toledo so I will try to make it down this weekend. That's a great idea.
bfloyd

Post by bfloyd »

Thanks again to all. I am seriously considering trying a Syn aluminum high D. I have heard a few sound clips of this whistle and I like the way it sounds. (I just hope I can make it sound that way :) ) From what I have read, players seem to like them plus, it doesn't seem to be too expensive. I will also get a couple of lower priced ones as mentioned by all to compare and have as alternatives.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Nice to welcome another Ohio whistler to the Chiff, Bryan! :D

If you haven't found one by now, here's a link to the Cincinnati Celtic World Festival. I think I read that Mike Burke would be there. Dublin, OH also has a great festival, but it was in August.

Have fun if you get to the festival. I have to work this weekend ... bummer!

Judy