Bb whistle purchase?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Butterfly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bb whistle purchase?

Post by Butterfly »

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Bb whistle ( I allready have a Generation, which I do not like so much ).
I'm considering a Burke. Does anyone have soundclips of the Bb Burkes ( brass, aluminum or composite), or know where I can find soundclips on the net, to be able te make a comparison?

What other brands would you recommend?
:) Rini
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I got an absolutely fabulous Bb made by the late Glenn Schultz when I visited his family for the funeral. This is maybe the best single whistle I've ever played. When I was there I had about 5 to choose from, so there may be one or two left. Glenn's daughter Bree is still checking his mail at thnwzl@aol.com . (Once in a while I sign onto AOL and see THNWZL on my buddy list, and think I'm seeing a ghost).
These are close to $400, but amazingly worth it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I have experienced a bunch of Bflats - Burke brass black tip (currently the lowest key he makes in that model) is very good, solid, about $150; Abell blackwood is fabulous, mine is a bit airier than the Burke with a nice mellow tone, about $350 or more; Copeland is fabulous, but takes a lot more air and a bit more care in the octave transitions, maybe about $375; if you can find a Schultz Water Weasel, I've always found that to be best bang for the buck - big round sound, slightly larger tone holes, about $85. Oh there's also the PVC racing green Silkstone, which is ok, but not tuneable and not as good as the others IMHO.

I once had a Honduran Rosewood beauty that I picked from among a bunch that Glenn had sent me to try, and sold it. I forgot this on the "Selling Whistle Remorse" Thread, but that was probably a mistake - great whistle with a big round yet warm sound.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I have another suggestion. Before moving up to the more expensive whistles, consider a Whitecap or Blacktop from Mack Hoover. http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/index.htm

I have Bb Generation with a Hoover Whitecap on it. It is a very, very nice whistle and an amazing improvement over the standard Bb Generations I have tried. Only $40 for the new head and you already have the body.
monkey587
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

Funny... I have several Hoover instruments, and a wide variety of whistles by different makers, but my Generation Bb is probably still my favorite.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions you've been given.
William Bajzek
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

oops - I did forget the 2 really good Bflat Gens I have - one brass and one nickel. These are early ones, weren't pick out specifically and are both real fine for about $7 a pop. Some say that these days it's hard to find a good one...I don't know.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Butterfly,

I've PM'd you a link to a soundclip of Burke Bbs.

Carol
tim-hart

Post by tim-hart »

HI. I have a sound clip on my Web site of a Bb Burke, which I highly recommend: http://www.tim-hart.com/pretty-maid-sample.mp3

Have fun.

tim
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Hi Butterfly ! I have a newer black-tip brass Burke in Bb and a Humphrey Bb. They are currently my favorites in that key. The only real difference , at least to my ear , is the purity of the sound. The Burke has a bit purer tone. It's also a heavier whistle. The Humphrey , on the other hand , plays like the really good Generation , that I've never owned !! :lol: Nice fullness and complexity to the tone. Either would be an excellent choice ! IMO

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

To also chime in. I would vote for a Sindt Bb. I had one and have remorse for selling it. They're a great Bb.
Character is the ability to carry out the
commitment long after the mood is gone.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

You could have Jerry Freeman tweak your generation for you. the cost is reasonable and he is fairly quick in turn around time.

Also, Erle Bartlett has made the Syn in various keys including Bb (lowest). These are a little weak if you get like a Bb through D set, but I believe are quite good if ordered specifically in that key. They are a thick walled aluminum whistle that get consistantly good reviews.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I agree with IDAwHOa about the Syns. I have a Water Weasel Eb which I love it is one of the Three most played of all my Whistles the other two are a Burke DASBT and my new Bleazey Blackwood High D which I would play more but it is being broken in. I love my Burke DASBT and would say that if the Bb is anything like it it is a great Whistle. The Bleazey is absolutly great and I know Phil had a Bb in South American Boxwood avaiable two weeks ago for 140 pounds you should ask him if he stil has it.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

IDAwHOa wrote:You could have Jerry Freeman tweak your generation for you. the cost is reasonable and he is fairly quick in turn around time.

Also, Erle Bartlett has made the Syn in various keys including Bb (lowest). These are a little weak if you get like a Bb through D set, but I believe are quite good if ordered specifically in that key. They are a thick walled aluminum whistle that get consistantly good reviews.
Actually, IDAwHOa, the Bb tube of the D through A set I bought from you isn't bad at all. A bit quieter than the C or D tubes, but plays quite well.

I agree that the A tube is noticably quieter (and can't use the 0XX 000 "C-natural" fingering) - nice for airs, but not so nimble for fast play. - but unless you're planning to concentrate on fast dance tunes the Syn Bb should do you just fine.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

DCrom wrote:A bit quieter than the C or D tubes, but plays quite well.

I agree that the A tube is noticably quieter (and can't use the 0XX 000 "C-natural" fingering)
Yeah, that is what I meant to say.... :oops:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

One of the things I like about my Syn Bb (by Erle Bartlett) is that I can get the third octave Bb and C without any special fingerings (that is: any fingerings different to the lower octaves). I have not experienced this with other whistle makes.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit