The Sitar

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

The Sitar

Post by Tyler »

I was wondering, since there seemes to be a broad sampling of people who play a broad spectrum of instruments here on C&F, if there were any Chiffers who play the Sitar...If so, what is your experience with it?

Last night a friend and I went to a local Indian restaurant that I frequent (I love Indian food), and they have started inviting a few local Indian classical musicians on different nights. I've always enjoyed Indian classical music, but I had never before experienced it live.
Wow...talk about an experience.
The sitarist was amazing! I could have watched that dude all night if I didn't have to get to work at 4am!
When I get the new house paid down a bit, and when I have a bit more free time, I think I'd like to learn the sitar...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Talasiga usually frequents the flute forum. He is big on Eastern music, and might be able to give you direction. There are lots of places that sell sitars on the web, but since they are the same places that sell garbage quality ITM instruments, I would guess the same goes for their Indian instruments. If there was a local musician playing, and you know where he plays, you have at least one potential teacher in your area.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Yeah, I have to work up the guts to ask this guy to teach me a few things, couse he's great.
I did a google search on the Sitar to learn more about it, and came across one site that looks reputable, at least to my semi-veteran-instrument-buyer eyes.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

My wife and I saw Ravi and Anoushka Shankar perform this past weekend. Wonderful show with a full complement of instruments for the first half and just them for the second.

I hope when I'm 85 I still have enough air to play the flute. Or at least enough air to breathe.

Eddie
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

beowulf573 wrote:My wife and I saw Ravi and Anoushka Shankar perform this past weekend. Wonderful show with a full complement of instruments for the first half and just them for the second.

I hope when I'm 85 I still have enough air to play the flute. Or at least enough air to breathe.

Eddie
That must have been an awesome show...!
I think, if I'm not mistaken, Anoushka has a new album coming out....supposed to be more of a world music fusion type of deal, i heard something about it this morning on NPR.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Tyler Morris wrote:
beowulf573 wrote:My wife and I saw Ravi and Anoushka Shankar perform this past weekend. Wonderful show with a full complement of instruments for the first half and just them for the second.

Eddie
That must have been an awesome show...!
I think, if I'm not mistaken, Anoushka has a new album coming out....supposed to be more of a world music fusion type of deal, i heard something about it this morning on NPR.
I went and checked out Anoushka's website...her new album is called Rise.
http://www.anoushkashankar.com/
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I took sitar lessons when I lived in India. Has to be the most painful instrument I ever tried. You have this little wire cage thingie for your right hand index finger which is what you pick with. Maybe they have decided to start using insulated wire but at the time (1972) it just cut into my finger painfully. Then, on your left hand, the string, of steel, has to be depressed so much that it wears a groove in one spot on your finger pad, much moreso than st string guitar. My sitar teacher, in Hyderabad, would put an ointment of Novocaine or something similar, eat some hashish and begin practicing. The groove in the finger often goes bloody so you have to take a break.

Sitars can be bought for not a lot of money but its likely that most of them are not very good. I wouldn't know how to get a good one but with so many more Indians in the US these days, perhaps there is an online resource with something near you.

To me, it's not an instrument for dabbling.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TomB

Post by TomB »

The Weekenders wrote: eat some hashish

So, Weeks, what you are saying is that learning the Sitar has it's good points! :wink:

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

TomB wrote:
The Weekenders wrote: eat some hashish

So, Weeks, what you are saying is that learning the Sitar has it's good points! :wink:

Tom
Yeah, in those days, I found lessons quite enjoyable. The dude was a real stoner.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

If you're looking for a sitar-like instrument, you might want to consider the harp. Not just any harp, but so-called "Gothic" harps from the renaissance. They have these little gadgets called "bray pins" that interfere with the strings' vibrations. In other words, they buzz like a sitar. Or a bagpipe :)

Unfortunately they ain't cheap.

Sound sample:
http://asni.net/amoroso!.wav

from the following site.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
I.D.10-t

baby sitar

Post by I.D.10-t »

One of the strangest things that I heard was at the Fox’s Lair in Augusta. The guy that played there had a HUGE request list and in the middle of one act re tuned his guitar to sound like a sitar and played “Dueling Sitars”. The brain was in pain.

I Always thought that the instrument was huge (even though I think the name translates to the “three string”) I wonder if they have smaller versions, may be a baby sitar.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Anoushka Shankar was on NPR this morning.

Interesting interview, some astonishingly good music. On this page, you can hear the interview, and a little down the page are audio links of three complete tracks from her new CD:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4855112

Best wishes,
Jerry
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

The Weekenders wrote: To me, it's not an instrument for dabbling.

Very true.

Doesn't it take five or six years just to learn how to tune it...

Lot of hassle.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

It's been a while but I think it was some kinda tuning like a banjo or dobro or something, maybe a triad like GBD.... Getting the little sympathetic strings in tune at first might be hard, but, being steel, they would hang on pretty good once broke in. I remember thinking that really, it was straightforward to learn the scales (they teach you Indian solfege which is sa ri ga ma pa da ni sa, instead of do re mi, etc.. The structure of the music ran in cycles, sorta like flamenco as I recall and they had ragas for different times of day and such. Like I said before, I just remember a lot of pain trying to play the damn thing.

And, being built like many of my Western Euro compatriots, another pain dimension was sitting yoga-like just to hold the instrument. Even when I was skinny it hurt. I remember looking around and wondering if I shouldn't have taken up the Veena. It's sort of a South Indian sitar and is dinkier and the music is very cool...

Or even tabla. Hey, its a drum that has a melodic scale on the head. How cool is that??
missy

Post by missy »

dubhlinn wrote:
Doesn't it take five or six years just to learn how to tune it...

Lot of hassle.

Slan,
D.
nah - that's a hammered dulcimer!!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com