Looking for an affordable Irish flute (Seery or M&E)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
varro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for an affordable Irish flute (Seery or M&E)

Post by varro »

Dear all!

I fell in love with Irish music a long time ago. About five years ago I got myself a Moore flute -- a plastic instrument which has been a great companion on my way of developing as a fluteplayer. Now, as I have been able to save some money, I am in a position of purchasing a more advanced instrument.

I have read many materials which have convinced me -- mostly due to my limited budget -- that perhaps the best option for me would be to have a polymer instrument. In particular, two flutes have cought my eye: the Seery flute and the M&E Flute (made by mr Cronnolly).

Could you please share your thought on the advantages and disadvantages of the said instruments. I'd also appresciate highly your recommendations for other instruments.

I thank you in advance for all suggestions.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

If you get an M&E (new) get the Rudall model..
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've got the M&E original model, the new "Rudall & Rose" model, and also the Seery "Pratten" model.

The M&E original is the easiest of the three to fill and play. The fingerholes are medium-sized; ornamentation pops out cleanly and nicely. I think this is an excellent flute to learn on. The sound is somewhat brighter than the R&R model on my flutes.

The M&E R&R is a little more bang for the buck--bigger, more focused sound, great responsiveness, larger tone holes. This is also a great flute to learn on. The sound is somewhat darker than on the original model on my flutes.

The Seery Pratten is a different beast. It's not a particularly easy flute to learn to fill. The tone holes are larger and may be difficult for a learner to seal well. I don't think this is well suited for most beginners but I think it's a great flute to grow into. It has a lovely range of sounds, great volume and projection, and will carry in even a very large session. I find this a very rewarding flute to play. While my Hamilton blackwood was being made, I played the Seery exclusively to "build up my chops." It was time well spent.

Of the three flutes, both M&E's and the Seery, it is the Seery that gets the most play, being the flute that usually goes with me to places where, for whatever reason, I don't want to risk the Hamilton, which is my regular session flute.

--James
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Varro, please check your pm box.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:If you get an M&E (new) get the Rudall model..
I'd second this advice. Mainly because it's the only one available new.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

What type of sound are you looking for?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Both fine flutes. I've owned both. I didn't find the Seery at all difficult, except for the problem I have wth all Prattens -- I have difficulty keeping the low D in the lower octave.

I think Avery hit it on the head. If your eventual goal is to play with a Big, Harry Bradley-type sound, get the Seery. If you want a sweeter sound, then get the M&E.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Basically it's the difference between a Pratten-derived flute (Seery) and a Rudall copy (M&E).

Both are excellent instruments. The Seery has larger holes and further space between them. If you have smallish hands I'd definitely go with the M&E.

If you have big hands either will do. The M&E Embouchre is a bit more forgiving for a beginner but you'll never outgrow either of these flutes.

The tone of the M&E is a bit rounder and darker than the Seery which is a bit brighter and has more inclination to bark.

Having said that, either of these flutes can be made sweet or reedy, loud or soft etc... as most of that depends on the player anyway.

My advice would to be to listen to some recordings (Wooden Flute Obsession for example) and decide whether you are more drawn to a Rudall-type sound or a Pratten-type sound.

If you have a favorite player that you want to be like "when you grow up" let us know. Someone here will likely know what they are playing.

Cheers,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

On the topic of rudallish vs. prattenesque, I wondering where Chris WIlkes' flutes fit into this equation.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I believe Wilkes makes rudallesque flutes, chiefly.

Let suggest to our Estonian friend the possibility
of buying a wooden flute. While I like my Seery OK,
I like wooden flutes better, and I suppose some
reasonably good ones are available for about as much
or even less than the polymers mentioned.
varro

Post by varro »

Thanks, everyone! I think I have gotten answers to the questions I was pondering over. I have contacted mr Cronnolly to get one of his flutes. Let us see what happens.

Thanks again.
Varro
Henke

Post by Henke »

varro wrote:Thanks, everyone! I think I have gotten answers to the questions I was pondering over. I have contacted mr Cronnolly to get one of his flutes. Let us see what happens.

Thanks again.
Varro
Excellent choice and you will not be dissapointed.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Henke wrote:
Jack Bradshaw wrote:If you get an M&E (new) get the Rudall model..
I'd second this advice. Mainly because it's the only one available new.
Although not pertinent and at the risk of sound facetious, you can get the older versions used from other people. I think his older original model is just as good as the new R&R type. I just picked it up the other day and was impressed yet again...which is why I've never sold it I suppose.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I just remembered Jon C.'s delrin flutes...I'd heartily recommend that one, even over the M&E.
kburget

Might think about a Dixon

Post by kburget »

Might consider a Tony Dixon 3-piece -- far superior in my opinion.