Police: Man dies while mimicking TV show

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Police: Man dies while mimicking TV show

Post by brianc »

WEST RUTLAND, Vt. --A 19-year-old Shrewsbury man died after he jumped from a moving vehicle while imitating a stunt from the television show "Jackass," the Vermont State Police said.

Police are treating the death of Adam Page as an "apparent accidental death."

A friend of Page videotaped the stunt from the front passenger seat and then grabbed the wheel. Two unidentified juveniles were sitting in the back seat of the car, one of whom was also videotaping the stunt, police said.

After Page jumped from the car, the friend, Adam Cota, 18, turned the car around and drove back to where Page was laying in the roadway.

They called for an ambulance after realizing Page was unresponsive. Page was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Re: Police: Man dies while mimicking TV show

Post by Will O'B »

brianc wrote:. . . while imitating a stunt from the television show "Jackass," . . .
The television show was called, "Jackass." Enough said.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I'm always skeptical when a tv show is claimed to be a source of a kids behavior. A few years ago parents sued MTV when their children burned down their home claiming they were imitating a stunt on Beavis and Butthead. But then it came out before the trilal that they didn't have cable and had never seen the show.

Plus, I've always felt that if teenagers are dumb enough to jump from a moving car, they get what they deserved. And this is from a guy who pulled some pretty stupid crap in his teen years. :D
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Stupidity is it's own reward... tragic as this incident was.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Stupidity is it's own reward... tragic as this incident was.
I thought the Darwin Awards were invented to reward this kind of thing?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

GaryKelly wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Stupidity is it's own reward... tragic as this incident was.
I thought the Darwin Awards were invented to reward this kind of thing?
Yup, and this kid gets one in my book! At least he wont be spreading his genes throughout the genepool anymore...

By the way, the TV show should be called sh*t instead of Jackass...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think there are plenty of stupid, self-destructive people. The frequency at which they eliminate themselves, each other, and the rest of us based upon television is just a mark of how prevalent television is in our society.

If you remove the television from the scenario, unfortunately, the stupid people remain. They would simply take their inspiriation for their idiocy from other sources.

That said, I have seen the "Jackass" show, and really didn't find anything in it which lead me to ever want to watch it again.

Television itself has very little appeal for me anymore, and it's pretty rare that you'd find me watching it.

--James
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

peeplj wrote:<snip>If you remove the television from the scenario, unfortunately, the stupid people remain. They would simply take their inspiriation for their idiocy from other sources.</snip>
I grew up in the deep south and television never seemed necessary for people to do stupid things. Just boredom and intoxicants seemed enough.

It is not for nothing that there is a long-standing joke: The last words of so-and-so were, "Hold mah beer and watch this!"

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

peeplj wrote: That said, I have seen the "Jackass" show, and really didn't find anything in it which lead me to ever want to watch it again.
I hate to admit it, but I did catch it a few times and enjoy some of the candid camera style bits. The stunts didn't do much for me.

We used to pull stupid stunts when we were young because, well, we were young and stupid. [grump old man]why in my day we didn't need tv to tell us to perform stupid stunts, we came up with our own and we liked it that way...[/grump old man]
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx