fatigue

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

If you can't afford to get the meninigitis shot through school (which I agree you definitely should get), check with the health department of the place you're living in. You MAY be able to get it for low or no cost through them. I say only may because at our health department we have restrictions on who we can give the low/no cost meninigitis shot to because of the expense and the current supply problems with it. But it's worth a phone call to find out what the situation is in your area.

Even if you have to pay for it from the health department, it almost assuredly will be cheaper than if you get it from the school. They may also know of someplace else you could get the shot.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

dbl post
Last edited by Jack on Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks everybody.

Lambchop, of course you're right. The last couple nights I've been up much later because I've had to clean my room and get it organized, it's orderlilessness has suffered as I've had 435,978,128,843.91 other things to get done in the day and I thought if my room was neat and tidy I might feel better (but I'm weird like that, if I'm in a pretty place I feel better, lol).
Last edited by Jack on Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Re: fatigue

Post by Will O'B »

Lambchop wrote:
Will O'B wrote:Man!!! You must be a mom.

:wink:

Will O
No. . . . I missed the pair-bonding game and everyone got married without me. And now it's too late.

I don't have cats, though. :lol:
Well, it sounds like you sure would have made a good one. :)

Will

PS: I tend to agree with Cursor's assessment.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Chances are you're fine but overtired. Try not to stress even more over it as that in itself can be enough to disturb your sleep pattern.

Good luck with the quack.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

My perscription for fatigue...
take 2 pints and call me in the morning! :P

seriously, though, good luck with that. I remember what it's like to be studying your brains out and working too!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Well, I suggested mono because when I had it (as a freshman), the first symptom was that I was so fatigued that I could barely make myself walk from one building to the next, like walking through molasses. About a week later the raging sore throat set in....

P.S. I can't imagine why a meningococcal shot should cost $200. Are you sure it wasnt a Hepatits B series they were talking about or something like that?

Robin
missy

Post by missy »

last March there was something going around that was very similar to mono in symptoms - overwhelming fatique, no appetite, sore throat and head cold symptoms. Lasted about a week. Many of us had been at a festival and I know of at least 30 that "came down" with whatever it was. I don't know if anyone got an actual "diagnosis" of what it was.

Oh - and the festival was in KY, too!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

In addition to the fact that college students (who do well) work hard, it's a different kind of work from what you're used to, and therefore--even if you'd been a marathon runner prior to beginning the life of a student--would be exhausting. You're not in college student condition. You will always have to work hard, but it should get easier once you get adapted to the type of things you're doing.

An analogy: A person who babysits four small children for a week will be more exhausted at the end of the week than the parent, or person who is used to that sort of work.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks everybody.

I woke up this morning and went to my first class, but I came back and somehow fell asleep and slept through lunch and my second class (I had planned to skip the second class anyway and go to the doctor).

Then I went to the blood drive but they wouldn't let me give blood because I'm a FLAMING HOMOSEXUAL WHO EATS CHILDREN AND WORSHIPS THE DEVIL, but its probably best anyway because I don't feel well.

I'm just going to keep my original appointment the day after tommorrow.

Robin, walking through molasses is exactly how it feels!

I know I got 3 shots but I couldn't afford 2 of them. But they all have such strange names that to be honest I can't remember which two. They cost $200, that's all I can remember about them.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Yeah, Cran, if it's not going away, definatly keep your doctors appt.
Good luck! Let us know what happens...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Cranberry wrote:Robin, walking through molasses is exactly how it feels!
That is a great analogy (chest-deep molasses I might add) -- a MAJOR effort to move your feet and legs forward. I'm suprised so many here seem to have experienced true fatigue. Most of the folks I talk with think it can be cured by getting a good night's sleep. What I tell them is to think about doing some incredibly strenuous excercise ALL DAY AND NIGHT, such as digging ditches. You're so exhausted when finished that you drag yourself home and collapse in bed. You get a good night's sleep and the next morning you're refreshed and invigorated and you're ready to take on the world again. But if you have chronic fatigue that feeling when you collapsed in bed never goes away.

Or picture being in the depths of a bad case of the flu. As bad as you feel, you know that eventually it will go away and you'll feel better. Chronic fatigue sticks around day after day, month after month, and year after year. Resting never really helps. I know because I've been walking through chest-deep molasses almost every minute of every day for the last 10 years of my life. I say "almost" because I have 3 - 4 nonconsecutive days a year when the weightiness evaporates and I feel like a new person again. But it always comes back with as much vengence as it had before.

My reason for writing this, Cran, is to show you that I know exactly what you're going through, and to help people try to understand there is a WORLD of difference between being very tired and suffering from fatigue. My daily fatigue is one of many symptoms of a larger systemic condition that I'm trying to deal with, and I am in no way implying that you have this to look forward to.

Be well.

Will O'Ban

emmline

Post by emmline »

Cranberry wrote:Then I went to the blood drive but they wouldn't let me give blood because I'm a FLAMING HOMOSEXUAL WHO EATS CHILDREN AND WORSHIPS THE DEVIL, but its probably best anyway because I don't feel well.
Dang. You probably should have said you just occasionally have an apple juice with the devil, and you only eat tofu based children.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

emmline wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Then I went to the blood drive but they wouldn't let me give blood because I'm a FLAMING HOMOSEXUAL WHO EATS CHILDREN AND WORSHIPS THE DEVIL, but its probably best anyway because I don't feel well.
Dang. You probably should have said you just occasionally have an apple juice with the devil, and you only eat tofu based children.
:D
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

emmline wrote:Dang. You probably should have said you just occasionally have an apple juice with the devil, and you only eat tofu based children.
That would certainly explain the fatigue. Be sure to mention your unusual diet when speaking with the physician. Too much tofu can't be good for you.

Will O'Ban