If I had a Pound...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

emmline wrote:I was on a skipjack on the St. Mary's River yesterday. (Visiting daughter in college--family weekend.) The boat's captain was a waterman by the name of Jack Russell. Naturally, more than one of the passengers had something to say about that and he, remarkably, at 62, still delivered his retort with no hint of disgust: "When I was born, my mother took one look at me and said 'this world's going to the dogs.'"
I'm surprised no-one asks him what he thinks of the wicket-keeping of Geraint Jones in the Ashes series. :D

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

dub - I get something similar when I say I work for Procter and Gamble here in town. The other person will ask "Do you know so and so?". Ah - there's over 10,000 employees of P&G here, spread over 5 technical centers and downtown main offices. Sure - I know "so and so"..........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

djm wrote:
Buddhu wrote:BTW, djm, IMHO that was rude, man.
Well of course. You're English. :lol:

djm
Yep, but not intentionally.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

missy wrote:dub - I get something similar when I say I work for Procter and Gamble here in town. The other person will ask "Do you know so and so?". Ah - there's over 10,000 employees of P&G here, spread over 5 technical centers and downtown main offices. Sure - I know "so and so"..........

I've had that happen when I tell people where I work too.

People used to always assume I was from Detroit when they found I was from Michigan.

Then I really get sick of it when I say, "I'm a copraphagic." And they say, "Oh you're afraid of copper?"

What goofballs.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Going through life with a name like Joseph Smith hasn't exactly been a bowl of cherries. :lol:
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Going through life with a name like Joseph Smith hasn't exactly been a bowl of cherries. :lol:
Come on out to Utah, my friend, I'll show you a whole new bowl a cherries!!! (then we'll mash them and ferment them and drink the juices!)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Joseph E. Smith

Tyler Morris wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Going through life with a name like Joseph Smith hasn't exactly been a bowl of cherries. :lol:
Come on out to Utah, my friend, I'll show you a whole new bowl a cherries!!! (then we'll mash them and ferment them and drink the juices!)
It has long been a desire of mine to play that mighty pipe organ in the Tabernacle... I figure with a name like mine, I stand a better chance than most at seeing my desire coming true. :)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
It has long been a desire of mine to play that mighty pipe organ in the Tabernacle... I figure with a name like mine, I stand a better chance than most at seeing my desire coming true. :)
You know, it's worth a try!
P.S.....your newest quote is the password...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Here's one for those somewhat familiar with US history...

The principal of my high school (in Tennessee) was named Nathan Hale. One year, he was trying to register for a principals' conference in Dallas, TX.

"Name?"
"Nathan Hale."
"School?"
"Daniel Boone High School."
"County?"
"Washington."
"Uh... Any other high schools in the county?"
"Davy Crockett."

They refused to register him over the phone.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Joseph E. Smith

:lol: :lol: :lol:
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

missy wrote: Sure - I know "so and so"..........
Is that the chap that wears spectacles?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

So what I wanna know is, what's the premium in being acquainted with Bono, anyway? Does one have more street cred for it? Is one sexier? I guess I don't have to answer that last one when I consider the way some people's minds seem to work. Dubh, just say "yes" and hope for the best. :lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician