Key of C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kim in Tulsa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

Is there a way to convert some others?

I was playing this one just now and my husband actually came in and listened (his brother sang this at our wedding over 10 years ago).

My husband hates my whistle blowing so I was pretty tickled he came to listen!

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

On 2002-06-29 21:54, Kim in Tulsa wrote:
Is there a way to convert some others?
My favorite music software, NoteWorthy Composer, does it fairly quickly. It does take time to put the notes and all into it. Once you become familiar with the keyboard shortcuts to do this and how the program works it goes pretty quickly. Also, if you learn the ABC format ABCTools is free and will transpose for you. Also Melody Assistant (not free, shareware) speaks ABC and can transpose. I haven't used it myself but other folks on this messageboard seem to like it real well.

Cheers,
David

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feadan on 2002-06-29 22:22 ]</font>
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Hi again,
I wanted to help you with the word Transpose.
To me it means to change the key and starting note of a tune so you can play
it on the D whistle that you have.
Take Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
Grab your whistle and try to play it
starting on a B for example. After a few notes you will see it doesn't work well in that key.
So try starting on an A...oh, that works fine.
If it sounds too high, try a G, and that works too.
That is how I "transpose" music so it
fits the perticular instrument I am wanting to play it on.
I hope that helps you too.
Lolly
Calliope

Post by Calliope »

Wow! I didn't expect so many replies so quickly! Thanks for the answer, and so many new things to think about as well!

Can you tell I just started playing? I've had my tin whistle for a year, but never had the time to play it...but my fiance and I are "getting musical". We have so far collected a hand drum/tambourine cross from Indonesia, and Australian didgeridoo, a rain stick and two tin whistles (as well as his 12 string and 6 string guitars), and we hope to get pan pipes, a bodhran and more hand drums...heeheehee

strange combos there if we ever tried to play together.

Rambling--sorry! :smile:
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

my fiance and I are "getting musical".
Good for you having this understanding before you get married! I just decided one day to learn how to play a whistle 10 years into my marriage and it's been quite a blow to my husband.

It seems he doesn't really appreciate the fact that I've dropped the fan I wave over him all the time and picked up something else that just happens to be loud and squeaked horribly at first! :wink:

Kim
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

For tunes that are in key of C, with the lowest note being a C, they're actually very easy to play on the D whistle (if you're not playing with other instruments...)

Play a 'D' where you read a 'C';
Play an 'E' where you read a 'D';
and so on... in other words, always play one note higher than what you're reading.

This, effectively, is 'transposing' it from C to D. (Or, another way to look at it is that you're playing the D whistle -as if- it was a C whistle...)

I could go on, but I don't want to get to complicated and confuse the issue again...

I will say, though, even at that risk, that using the same fingering on a C whistle, you would then be playing the tune in C... so you can learn all these tunes on your D whistle for solo playing and/or playing with only a singer or other D instruments, but if and when you get a C whistle you could then play with other C instruments.

Am I making sense this time? Maybe? :wink:

--Chris
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Hi Kim,

I'm coming in late on this - looks like you've solved your problem, but can I suggest a great music theory book. It starts right from the beginning; it's what I used with my students and worked wonderfully.

It will take what you've learned already and really build on it. The title is: "Practical Theory Complete: A Self-Instruction Music Theory Course" by Sandy Feldstein. It's actually a pretty fun book.

The link on Amazon.com is: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 2842250</a>

Erik

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2002-06-30 15:46 ]</font>
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

Thank you Erik, Chris and all! And a special thanks to Calliope for bringing this up in the first place...it had been a question of mine for awhile.

Kim
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Here it is in standard notation.
Reasonable person
Walden