DVD recommendation: "Firefly" series

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

DaleWisely wrote:I fear we'll never get to the Shepherd secret--unless there's something in the movie about it. There's no doubt, though, he's a reformed criminal.
Hmm... I've always gotten the impression that he was formerly in law enforcement or the Alliance military; perhaps a judge or interrogator. How else do you explain the reaction and special treatment he received for his gunshot wound after the Alliance officer saw his ID card?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

If you enjoy the series..you will definitely enjoy the movie.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Oh, well: Gotta suspend that disbelief a little.
A little, yes. What about the distances traveled. No mention of warp drives or time dilation, or any of that good stuff. Oh yeah, it's a western.

And back to Shepherd, remember he said in an early episode he saw a man killed he was sworn to protect? This was a government agent who got killed by one of the crew. And he threw a few martial arts moves during the ruckus before that happened. I thought, oh, he's from a Shaolin monastery.

I hope they do more with River's psychic development. Weird kid.

Speaking of other sci-fi westerns, have you seen Outland with Sean Connery?

"But, you can't take the sky from me..."
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

TonyHiggins wrote:I hope they do more with River's psychic development. Weird kid.
I think the movie is going to revolve around River...
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

jsluder wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:I fear we'll never get to the Shepherd secret--unless there's something in the movie about it. There's no doubt, though, he's a reformed criminal.
Hmm... I've always gotten the impression that he was formerly in law enforcement or the Alliance military; perhaps a judge or interrogator. How else do you explain the reaction and special treatment he received for his gunshot wound after the Alliance officer saw his ID card?
Ah. You're right, I'll bet.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

TonyHiggins wrote: Speaking of other sci-fi westerns, have you seen Outland with Sean Connery?
I saw that. I thought it was under-rated. Good movie.

Dale
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've seen the movie..i'm resisting the urge to answer any speculations ;)

Trust me, though...it's worth seeing
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

TonyHiggins wrote:I'm still wondering where the crew or captain came up with the money to buy the ship.
Crime. Duh.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

fearfaoin wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote:I'm still wondering where the crew or captain came up with the money to buy the ship.
Crime. Duh.
:oops:
I've seen the movie..i'm resisting the urge to answer any speculations wink
Wanderer, I thank you for your restraint.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I'm glad to see that there's this much of a following here! I had no idea!
I was also turned on to Firefly during it's initial run, and I thougt it was a spectacular show...I was upset when they cancelled it. IMHO, It wasn't given a fair chance to reach it's target audience. Had it been given a chance, I do believe we would still see it running. It could have been the next genuine Sci-Fi phenom like Star Trek or something...
Hopefully the movie will have a good run; if popularity increases with the movie, it would be nice if they could start shooting the series again and put it on cable...
Who knows...it could very well turn out like that; Star Trek ran, what, two seasons? As long as Joss doesn't ask the Shatner to be a part of the crew, it might work! :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:Hopefully the movie will have a good run; if popularity increases with the movie, it would be nice if they could start shooting the series again and put it on cable...
Don't hold your breath. Joss has said in interviews that, after the way Fox treated Firefly, he's through with TV for a while. Follow-up movies are more likely.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:Hopefully the movie will have a good run; if popularity increases with the movie, it would be nice if they could start shooting the series again and put it on cable...
Don't hold your breath. Joss has said in interviews that, after the way Fox treated Firefly, he's through with TV for a while. Follow-up movies are more likely.
That's really too bad...there's such a following now that a new series on cable might really do well. Followup movies are a fun thought...(Think Star Trek I thru whatever-they're-on-now)....
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Here's an interesting trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal ... large.html
Tony
dapple

Post by dapple »

My brother got two tickets to a pre-screening of Serenity, and we saw it tonight. A bit more humor and more intense than the series. Excellent movie. I highly recommend it.
~ David
Darwin

Re: DVD recommendation: "Firefly" series

Post by Darwin »

DaleWisely wrote:A friend clued me in on this "Firefly" thing. Glad he did. In the 2002-03 TV season, Joss Wheedon, who is the guy behind "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" & "Angel," (I've never seen a single episode of either)
"Angel" was okay, but "Buffy" is my personal all-time favorite TV series--even ahead of "M*A*S*H" and "The Andy Griffith Show".

I saw the original run of "Firefly", then bought the DVDs and watched the whole thing again. The extra episodes and the background stuff made the purchase well worthwhile.

I'm hoping that "Serenity" and the "Firefly" reruns on the Sci-Fi channel will build up enough of a following to bring the series back. I'm waiting for a cold to cure itself before trying to sit through the movie. (The last movie I saw in a theater was "Golden Eye", around 10 years ago.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe