DVD recommendation: "Firefly" series

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

DVD recommendation: "Firefly" series

Post by Dale »

A friend clued me in on this "Firefly" thing. Glad he did. In the 2002-03 TV season, Joss Wheedon, who is the guy behind "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" & "Angel," (I've never seen a single episode of either), had a science-fiction series on Fox that ran for 11 episodes before being unceremoniously cancelled by Fox. In that short time, it developed a rabid fan base and sales of the DVD box set (which includes unaired episodes) has been brisk and added to the ranks of fans. This allowed Joss Whedon to get support to make a feature film based on the series. The film is called "Serenity" and is due out Sept 30.

Anyway, I'm nearly done working through the DVDs and I can very highly recommend them. Now, if I tell you that it's a sci-fi western, which it is, you have every reason to be skeptical. But, I have found it to be smart, funny, and exceptionally entertaining.

Dale
Last edited by Dale on Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

If you get the Sci-fi channel, Firefly is also on every friday night I believe.
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Alcona wrote:If you get the Sci-fi channel, Firefly is also on every friday night I believe.
Right you are. I did not know that.

http://www.scifi.com/firefly/

I'd recommend waiting to see if they cycle through them in order again.

The movie trailers will give you a good feel for the series as well, I guess, as the movie.

http://www.serenitymovie.com/

Dale
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

They're very good fun. I also came to them via the DVD -- hadn't even known there was a TV series before these were given to me -- and have become a fan. Funny, smart, entertaining, very clever stuff.

Watching the discs with the commentary on is fun, too, by the way. Along with the usual anecdotes and explanations, the actors point out a couple of funny flubs, including one shot where the ship's navigator, Wash, is sitting in a chair in front of a console and just sort of waving his hands around *pretending* to steer the ship (his hands were supposed to be out of the shot).
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I've heard good things about it but haven't caught it yet, I wonder if I need to see the series before the movie comes out.

I've only seen one episode of Angel, it was the one where he was turned into a muppet. I laughed myself silly.

<a href="http://puppet.witchgoddess.org/">Wee little puppet man.</a>
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

beowulf573 wrote:I've heard good things about it but haven't caught it yet, I wonder if I need to see the series before the movie comes out.
Joss has given many interviews saying that it was difficult writing a script that would not alienate new viewers, but also would not bore the die-hard fans of the series. I believe the movie revolves around a subplot that was supposed to be fleshed out later, but was only somewhat touched on during the first and only season. So, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You can probably get away with not seeing the whole series before the movie, but it might help you get pre-aquainted with the characters to see at least one or two.
For Pete's sake, definately see the series eventually. It is great stuff. Joss Wheedon likes to make fun of Sci-Fi stereotypes. A lot.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

We loved Firefly, and were really upset when it was canceled. Really looking forward to the movie!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
dapple

Post by dapple »

My brother introduced me to "Firefly." It's a good series and very well made. Too bad it was so short-lived.
~ David
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I think I stumbled into this when it was on TV. I have it on videotape somewhere.

Wasn't there an episode where they were trying to find some escaped or kidnapped people on a medieval planet and there was a little outdoor festival with a band playing a tune that sounded familiar but I couldn't quite place... and because of that tune, I haven't recorded over the videotape yet, in the expectation of transcribing it and identifying it. :D

Thanks for the update, Dale! I wondered what had happened to it.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

mvhplank wrote:I think I stumbled into this when it was on TV. I have it on videotape somewhere.

Wasn't there an episode where they were trying to find some escaped or kidnapped people on a medieval planet and there was a little outdoor festival with a band playing a tune that sounded familiar but I couldn't quite place... and because of that tune, I haven't recorded over the videotape yet, in the expectation of transcribing it and identifying it. :D

Thanks for the update, Dale! I wondered what had happened to it.

M
Yeah, it finally showed the whistle player...playing a piccolo! Looked like a Sweetheart. :]

Dale
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

DaleWisely wrote:Yeah, it finally showed the whistle player...playing a piccolo! Looked like a Sweetheart. :]

Dale
As I recall, it may not have been a D tune either, which is what was causing me some grief.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Just finished the second disc (seen 5 episodes so far) and loving it. I'll watch the next disc next weekend (or sooner). Netflix has them. It really is a western with a few sci-fi props. Funny dialogue and circumstances. I love the theme song and the instrumental with the fiddle and banjo (3 seconds of banjo) and the slide guitar stuff. I'm still wondering where the crew or captain came up with the money to buy the ship. And the shepherd sure has some secrets in his past that haven't been exposed yet. hmm...
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

We missed the first run of Firefly, but a friend had taped all the episodes and insisted that we watch them. I'm very glad she did. We now own the DVD set, and have watched all 13 episodes multiple times. I believe it is Joss Whedon's best work, to date. Firefly is intelligent, funny, well-written and well-acted. So, naturally, it was cancelled after one season. Had to make room for some new "reality" show, I suppose. :roll:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I was surfing through the channels and stumbled upon the opening credits of Firefly.... needless to say I was hooked after 5 minutes of watching it. I haven't seen more than a couple episodes since then, but I try to every Friday evening..... It was nice to see Ron Glass still in 'show business', he was my favorite character in 'Barney Miller'.

Can't wait to see 'Serenity'.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

TonyHiggins wrote: I'm still wondering where the crew or captain came up with the money to buy the ship. And the shepherd sure has some secrets in his past that haven't been exposed yet. hmm...
Tony
Regarding the ship: It was a used ship. Bargain priced. :)

Actually, you make a good point. My wife raised the same one. Oh, well: Gotta suspend that disbelief a little.

I fear we'll never get to the Shepherd secret--unless there's something in the movie about it. There's no doubt, though, he's a reformed criminal.