I hear it, but she don't

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I hear it, but she don't

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I have been practicing "Greeve Sleeves" over the last several days, now its a rough version, but heck in less I have become deaf due to the pipes.....it sounds like green sleeves. So I asked my wife to come and give it a listen........the response I got was hun.....please sell those......its the worse noise I have heard in sometime....your were so good at the whistle, but that your doing now is just noise.

I replied.....just listen closely and tell me the tune I am playing......so I began "green sleeves", but she just can't hear it...... :sniffle:

I then pick up the low whistle and play her a slow haunting romantic air and she is all smiles..... :)

I told her to give me sometime and she will like the pipes just as well and reminded her that when I first started with the whistle I began with "twinkle twinkle little star".

It just takes time..... :)
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Hey, my wife said "you're sounding pretty good on those" after 3 years, so don't give up quit yet.
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

A friend of mine (yes I still have some left!) told me once, or maybe it was to my girlfriend that she had more patience than Jayzus to live with an aspiring piper. That was a couple of years ago, we don't live together anymore but she tells me that she misses the sound of my practicing???? Damn why did I ever break up with her :lol: Don't think there is anything more rewarding than an understanding "in-mate"...when will I get a new one?
-Hey! I'm a piper, plays roughly 1 hour a day at home, wanna move in with me?
Doesn't work...strange world????
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!
Uilliam

Re: I hear it, but she don't

Post by Uilliam »

KDMARTINKY wrote:I have been practicing "Greeve Sleeves" over the last several days, now its a rough version, .....)
:boggle: :boggle: I bet its not the Irish version Double Jig in 6/8.!!!

Can I suggest ye get a tutor book and the NPU CD Volume 1 and get some real practice in.If ye work in a methodical manner ye should make some progress,if ye keep up this apparent whinging ye will probably end up getting a divorce.. :wink:
Slán Agat
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I must be one of those lucky sods whose wife is 120% supportive in everything that I do. When my wife offers criticism to me, it is usually correct and constructive. Never, not once, in our 18+ years together has she been negative about my musical madness. :D
Reepicheep
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

JES - our wives must be related somehow. My wife has been very supportive of my "piping." (... my former obsession with Quake was another matter entirely, however!)

Peace!
Reepicheep

PS - looking at JES' avatar makes me feel an urgent need to go get a bigger boat. :lol:
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Joseph E. Smith

Reepicheep wrote:
PS - looking at JES' avatar makes me feel an urgent need to go get a bigger boat. :lol:
It makes me hungry...
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I must be one of those lucky sods whose wife is 120% supportive in everything that I do...
More like 100% apathetic here. :wink:
PJ
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, KD are you sure she knows the tune to Greensleeves? :wink: I would keep that low whistle nearby and play a nice quick tune on it every once in a while.
indestructibleman

Post by indestructibleman »

i remember when i was learning to play artificial harmonics on electric guitar. i thought it was the coolest thing ever, but my girlfriend swore she couldn't hear the difference between the artificial harmonic and the note played normally. :roll:
-will

"strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras."
billh

Post by billh »

KD

Maybe it's a bit early for tunes. I second uilliam's suggestion to get the NPU tutor, especially if you're an isolated piper.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I hear all of you regarding the tutor. Seth Hamon (maker of my set) is sending me some tutor material, if this doesn't meet my needs then I will order NPU Vol 1.

Thanks

ps. It is the Irish Trad of Greene Sleeves which I have slowed down to an air.

Now she said she recognizes the tune, but hates the sound of the pipes. Like many of you she has always supported me with what I do and has for 15 years, but guys/gals she just hates the sound of the pipes.
Keith

Joseph E. Smith

KDMARTINKY wrote:
ps. It is the Irish Trad of Greene Sleeves which I have slowed down to an air.
... composed by King Henry VIII... in honor of a hooker (hookers wore green sleeves denoting their profession).
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Didn't know that Joseph......I have always known it as a English tune which has been adpopted by the Irish.

I really didn't know about the hooker relation tot he tune....... :oops:
Keith

billh

Post by billh »

I've never heard Greensleeves played in Ireland FWIW.