Cause of Katrina and 9/11 revealed!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Cranberry wrote:I'm not sure if "stoned" means being hit with rocks or being high, but either way, I've never been stoned.
...but do you " understand the truth"?
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Denny wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I'm not sure if "stoned" means being hit with rocks or being high, but either way, I've never been stoned.
...but do you " understand the truth"?
I don't know?

(I really have no idea what I'm even being asked...)
djm

Post by djm »

Cranberry wrote:I've never been stoned.
I find that hard to believe. I never came down. :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: I find that easy to believe. :wink:
Jack

Post by Jack »

I come from a family background of drugs and violence and general chaos, so a lot of people don't believe me when I tell them I've never taken drugs, drank alcohol, and am a pacifist, but it's true. I've never been stoned.

I don't know how it happened, other than as a psychological reactionary measure to my early enviroment and/or the grace of God, but I'm glad for it.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Cranberry wrote:
buddhu wrote:I reserve the right to become gay at some point in the future if I so choose.
No you don't.

Sorry.
No need to be sorry, Cran. I suspect you misunderstand me. I don't mean that (above) in the patronising way that Chris Evans did when he announced 'jokingly' that he was going to spend a year being gay. Ron hit the nail on the head when he said that everyone is bisexual whether they know it or not.

To put it another way, there is a wide range of sexuality among people, ranging, perhaps, from the very predominantly heterosexual to the very predominantly homosexual and all points in between. I think it is very possible that, over time, even if a person's basic sexual orientation doesn't change (although as far as I know it might), certainly their awareness of their sexual orientation can change. That might conceivably happen with me, and if so anyone who didn't like it could go fly a kite.

My comment was very vaguely in the spirit of 'The Life of Brian'. I may not be able to have babies, but I have the right to have babies. :D

I may have a degree of gay inclination that I haven't yet discovered, or I may not. I rather suspect not, but should I discover otherwise I'd have every right to date as many guys as I liked, and it'd be my own freakin' business. Any bigot who cared to try to make it his business would receive a cordial invitation to kiss my chubby white behind.

I have seen in my sister's case the fact that some people will try to impose their values.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Caj

Post by Caj »

jim stone wrote:
Caj wrote:Here's a good one:
Pat Robertson wrote: Just like what Nazi Germany did to the Jews, so liberal America is now doing to the evangelical Christians. It's no different. It is the same thing. It is happening all over again. It is the Democratic Congress, the liberal-based media and the homosexuals who want to destroy the Christians. Wholesale abuse and discrimination and the worst bigotry directed toward any group in America today. More terrible than anything suffered by any minority in history.

More terrible than anything suffered by any minority in history! He must have some amazing scars to show for that.
Source? I suppose citations should be routine, given the
hoax-quotation that inspired this thread and the pleasure people take in
ridiculing this guy. Stuff we can verify ourselves.
The cite I have is an interview with Molly Ivins, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, September 14, 1993. I guess someone with a good library can look that up to make sure that it exists.

It sounds like such a ridiculous statement that it's hard to believe it's real. But, this level of hyperbole is not uncommon.

My brother used to run a well-known conservative blog. I don't agree with him on everything, but I like to read his columns, K. being a funny and witty guy. Agh, but the reader comments! Some of them just creeped me out. One time these folks were ranting about how white male Christians were "under siege" in this country. One fellow said that to be a white male Christian was to be treated like a 3rd-class citizen.

I almost choked when I read that. These people belong to the most powerful political party on the entire planet earth. They belong to the majority religion, and most privileged race and class in the USA. And yet this was the way they viewed the world, with themselves at the bottom.

Caj
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The Weekenders wrote:My favorite show was This Week in Bible Prophecy with the LaLonde Bros. It was a first-rate gimcrack, with a newsy-desk, a "reporter" and numerous proofs that the world would end and soon. Hey, Revelation is no joke but I calls 'em as I sees 'em. And I'll back back next week, if the Lord don't take me!!
While I agree that the Lalonde Bros. had the slickest, most entertaining version, they did not originate the Bible-prophecy-newscast format. I'd say it even predates the religious talk/variety show format pioneered by Jim Bakker and Pat Robertson. Prophecy preacher Ray Brubaker had begun doing God's News Behind the News segments on radio, 50 or 60 years ago. He later brought it back as a TV show, which still airs today.

The Lalondes' This Week in Bible Prophecy has given way to Cloud Ten Pictures, a movie studio specializing in films that promote the Lalondes' views on Biblical prophecy. Another well-worn format, as can be seen by looking at the religious films section of http://www.archive.org .

The Lalondes and their enterprise are Canadian, but a number of Americans are in the act, as well, with Revelation seminars of the air delivered from news sets. One of the more conspicuous is Jack van Impe, who with his wife Rexella, even make an appearance in Cloud Ten's most popular film, Left Behind, where they, along with some other popular TV preachers, get raptured off an airplane (they got to be in the movie in exchange for helping to bankroll and market the film-- DVD's were sold by the TV preachers prior to the theatrical release).

Even Hal Lindsey, who made a name for himself as author of Late Great Planet Earth and Satan is Alive and Well in Planet Earth, in the early 1970's, has taken up the newsdesk format, first with a radio broadcast, and now a television show, International Intelligence Briefing. It was more entertaining when he had Cliff on there, and they called each other Beauregard, but I guess Hal doesn't work well enough with others to continue with a partner.

Edited to correct BBS code error.
Last edited by Walden on Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reasonable person
Walden
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Walden wrote:One of the more conspicuous is Jack van Impe, who with his wife Rexella.
Is it just me, or is Jack van Impe absolutely hilarious? I mean, I thought this show was a joke for a very long time. I didn't believe people when they told me the man was for real.

"Gas prices rose $0.02 today, which, according to Revelations 4:15 means that the apocalypse is underway. Everyone to your underground bunkers."

I mean, really.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

ah, gay or not gay. I have got no problems with gays whatsoever, in fact, my best friend is gay.

cran, you see, there is hope. :wink:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Congratulations wrote:
Walden wrote:One of the more conspicuous is Jack van Impe, who with his wife Rexella.
Is it just me, or is Jack van Impe absolutely hilarious? I mean, I thought this show was a joke for a very long time. I didn't believe people when they told me the man was for real.

"Gas prices rose $0.02 today, which, according to Revelations 4:15 means that the apocalypse is underway. Everyone to your underground bunkers."

I mean, really.
Rexella is much stranger to me, especially her name.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Jack

Post by Jack »

amar wrote:ah, gay or not gay. I have got no problems with gays whatsoever, in fact, my best friend is gay.

cran, you see, there is hope. :wink:
When I go to Austria, I am going to take a train into Switzerland and come stalk, I mean, visit you.

And you have to show me where the pink tattoo is. ;)
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

djm wrote:Everybody must get stoned, whether they realize it or not.

djm
http://cypressonline.com/Sounds/III/Eve ... Stoned.wav