Engraving The Undisputed's whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Engraving The Undisputed's whistle?

Post by brewerpaul »

One of the many people who chipped (chiffed?) in to buy the Copeland Low D for Dale suggested engraving it for him. What do you all think?

I was thinking of something simple and tasteful, like "The Undisputed". Possibly the date (year) too.

Any other suggestions?
Any suggestions where on a Copeland the engraving would fit well and look good? I'd like to keep it fairly short to save funds which can then be used for the Katrina relief.

One advantage of engraving the whistle is that it would discourage Dale from doing something silly like selling the whistle for charity again... :roll:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Re: Engraving The Undisputed's whistle?

Post by I.D.10-t »

brewerpaul wrote:One advantage of engraving the whistle is that it would discourage Dale from doing something silly like selling the whistle for charity again... :roll:
Well if that is the issue, you should have it engraved with something obscene in a hard to read area, like “cannibal sock puppets!” I think that “Undisputed” is something that would raise the resale value.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Engraving The Undisputed's whistle?

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I.D.10-t wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:One advantage of engraving the whistle is that it would discourage Dale from doing something silly like selling the whistle for charity again... :roll:
I think that “Undisputed” is something that would raise the resale value.
I think so, too.

M
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Sounds like a great idea , Paul ! Might I suggest " Thank You , Dale " and the date. Isn't that what we are all trying to say to the man through this gesture ? Just a thought. :)

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

"From your C&F Family, Sept 2005"
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

How about engraving on the underside near the fipple:

DALE,
YOU DA MAN!

I also had, DALE, THE BIG CHIFF; and DALE, WELL DONE! But they didn't come out as I had them formatted, so I edited it.

Simple, tells what we feel, and effectively lowers the value just enough that he won't sell it for charity!

There may be better ways of saying it. I would like someone to run this question by Cathy Wilde, who seems to have a talent with words and ideas. I think she said she had an advertising background. Hey Cathy!???
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

avanutria wrote:"From your C&F Family, Sept 2005"
That's very nice! I like that!
~~~~
Barry
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

We could probably find all sorts of ways to say this. My preference would be for something like Kingfisher commended. Simple. Avanutria's is nice, too.

After all is said and done, there's really no way we can keep Dale from doing what he will. I suspect, though, that he'll keep this one with all that it means to us and, we hope, to him.
Keith
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

I nominate simply engraving it with:

Chiff & Fipple

That is who we are after all (well collectivly at least), and Dale is at the helm. I don't like the idea of a engraving that commemorates this as an even. I'd feel like my whistle was forever stuck in that moment, and it's never truely mine. Then again, I am a weird kid.

"The Undisputed" is also quite tasteful (Though perhaps "Daleforce1" has a good ring to it as well).
Everyone likes music
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Maybe we should ask Dale what he'd like it to say. Or what he'd like it to not say.

Not like this is a surprise present, after all...!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think that's a good idea. It seems like a group of people would have a hard time agreeing anyway. Unless it would be a headache for him to decide.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

You're right, no group can decide, so why don't we give Paul that honor, since it was his great idea in the first place. He shows good judgement. He can weigh the suggestions, and call it like he sees it.

I think it would be a nicer gesture if we decided instead of Dale.

What do you think?
~~~~
Barry
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

How about something like what they put on trade paperbacks . . .

"If you have purchased this instrument, be aware that the sale has broken the hearts of many . . . "

:lol:

I think a simple "With thanks to the Undisputed . . . Your C&F family, September, 2005," or something along those lines, shorter, would do nicely.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

greenspiderweb wrote:You're right, no group can decide, so why don't we give Paul that honor, since it was his great idea in the first place. He shows good judgement. He can weigh the suggestions, and call it like he sees it.

What do you think?
What spidy said. I was the one who suggested to Paul that a suitable sentement should be engraved on the whistle but Paul has pulled this thing together singlehandedly and I think he should have the honor of deciding.

Best
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

peteinmn wrote:
greenspiderweb wrote:You're right, no group can decide, so why don't we give Paul that honor, since it was his great idea in the first place. He shows good judgement. He can weigh the suggestions, and call it like he sees it.

What do you think?
What spidy said. I was the one who suggested to Paul that a suitable sentement should be engraved on the whistle but Paul has pulled this thing together singlehandedly and I think he should have the honor of deciding.
What they said.
Keith