How many of us C&Fers consider themselves Professional Whist

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lollycross
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lollycross »

Hi,
With so many writing in saying they just purchased their first whistle, etc., I am
wondering how many of us are actual
professional musicians? I don't mean you have to be a member of the Musicians Union,
but how many have:

1. Made over $1000 playing last year and had
to pay income tax on it?
2. Recorded on a c.d. that has sold 5000
copies or more?
3. or earn a big part of your income playing
your whistle?

HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO BRAG FOLKS!!!
Lolly
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Last week I was in park playing Three Blind Mice, with ornamentation (StevieJ sent me the Mp3), and a guy paid me ten dollars to stop. Does that count?
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Lolly: Yeah, I admit it...I partially fit your 'pro'file. As Meatloaf has said: "Two out of three ain't bad..."
Cheers to all.
Byll
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

I'm in a band...but we're fairly new. We didn't start getting gigs until about 6 months ago.

That said, we've easily surpassed the 'thousand dollar mark' (we made something close to that st patrick's day weekend..we had 5 gigs!).

I don't think it'll ever be a big part of my income, though...I'd have to sell a whole lotta CD's to make the same kinda money that 12 years as a computer programmer earns me. :sad:

Greg
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

I wouldn't say professional. Perhaps semi-professional. Used to gig a fair amount with a harp player back in my old stomping grounds. I've played on two CDs and one LP (on Flying Fish records) but they weren't mine so who knows how many they sold. Working on forming a band with three other folks (guitar, cittern, whistle/vocals). Still building our repetoire and working out arrangements (some dynamite 3 part harmony vocals). Not to mention a couple of tunes with 2 whistles doing a melody/harmony thing.

-David

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feadan on 2002-06-29 22:03 ]</font>
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

I thought David, you would be the one saying you had sold a million copies....after that
WONDERFUL WONDERFUL Planxty Dale Wisely
song you wrote for all our enjoyment. I'm sure you and your new band WILL do very
well, if that song was any clue.
Thanks for answering
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Not sure how many copies have been sold of the records that I've been on... I used to play for a folk artist named "Ratsy" in Boston who won the Boston Acoustic Underground. She's sold a bunch of the record that I recorded on. Anyone ever heard of her? When I moved to Nashville I co-produced and played guitar for an indie artist - Katy Bowser (www.katybowser.com) She's sold a bunch of the record we made... One of the tunes made it on The Awakening Compilation. My wife and I just finished a record together done with some of the cats we used to play with/for in Nashville. I just sent the master & film to the CD pressing company this past week.

We moved to Colorado about a year ago and as far as the whistle goes... Well, I'm employed as a full time music director and the whistle usually makes its way into the service just about every week in some form or another... I lead a "learning" session here every Tuesday and I consider that to be part of my role for St. Pat... "The Jolly Clamdiggers" is a band that formed from the Tuesday thing with some of the better musicians that come...

So, um... yeah....

Vaya con dios,
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I'm a "part-time" professional... I am a student full-time, and then on the side and whenever I can get them, I play gigs for money, but I do a lot of ones for free just because I like to play, and because it puts myself out there.

Haven't had to pay income tax on what I've earned though. And I haven't recorded a CD (even though someday I hope to), or any of that. I guess I'm a "local professional that works part-time..."
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Played for the Olympics when they were here in February (YUCK!), but I don't generally play for money. I prefer to play for the music instead. That having been said, I do play with several local Irish groups in the area. 1 CD done, and another in the works. Don't expec tto sell thousands and thousands of copies, but If the people who do buy one like the music inside, then I figure I've done my job.

B~
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I'm a veterinarian which makes me a professional...and a whistle player which makes me umm... a whistle player.

Therefore I am a professional whistle player.

Doc
tomandceil

Post by tomandceil »

Judging by your criteria for "professional", I'm a former professional. Back in the 80's in the "heyday" of Waxies Dargle (I chortle at the thought of WD ever having had an actual heyday), we were making pretty decent money, although we never recorded. (Tried to once, but it was too awful for release.) Now, the only money I make off my whistle is teaching workshops, and not that often.
Tom Bingham