Cause of Katrina and 9/11 revealed!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

:lol: I knew s1m0n would have an answer---I'm always dying to see what it will be. So when I do something dumb (oh dear, yet another word) I can say "I may be stupid, but I'm not an idiot." Like okay, I screwed up, but I learned my lesson.

schle·miel also shle·miel (shlə-mēl')
n. Slang.
A habitual bungler; a dolt.

schli·ma·zel also shli·ma·zel (shlĭ-mä'zəl)
n. Slang.
An extremely unlucky or inept person; a habitual failure.

It would be sort of hard to decide which of these I would rather be. I guess I would rather blame my luck than to just have to say I was a dolt (oh dear, yet another word).
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Didn't we already have a thread like this one?
oh well...
Poop Robertson also hates Masons...
So I guess I'd be in pretty deep schiz-nit if they asked me to hose the Academy Awards, eh! :D
I might have to go into the spiritual witness protection program.
:P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

SteveK wrote: I think these terms were still current when I was in university but they have nicer words now.
The problem is that just as soon as they invent new terms, the public learns them and starts using them as insults. After a few years, sensitive souls demand new, insulting-connotation-free terms. In short order, these become useful insults and the whole cycle begin anew.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cynth wrote:
s1m0n wrote:Are you asserting that "idiot" and "stupid" are synonyms? They are not; one can be both.
I always took it that when someone called me an idiot that person meant I was stupid. :lol: I mean, I don't think they were saying I was smart were they? No one has ever said "You are one brilliant idiot." to me or "Oh well, better a smart idiot than a stupid one."
Ah, but there are brilliant idiots!
I.D.10-t wrote:
s1m0n wrote:"Idiot", on the other hand, began as an assessment of a person's capacity to learn. It's an earlier euphemish for "retarded". It is not temporary.
Crap, so there is no hope for recovery.
None...

:D
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

The Weekenders wrote:This might be a hoax. Might want to verify these quotes, not that I am a fan. But he got his butt whipped pretty good for the Chavez thing...hard to believe he would start right in again.
Good eye Weeks. You're right. It fooled me. Pat didn't blame Ellen. It's a fake. As the following article suggests, it's good satire because it's so believable.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/katrina/robertson.asp
djm

Post by djm »

Cynth wrote:schle·miel also shle·miel (shlə-mēl')
n. Slang.
A habitual bungler; a dolt.

schli·ma·zel also shli·ma·zel (shlĭ-mä'zəl)
n. Slang.
An extremely unlucky or inept person; a habitual failure
More common interpretation is that the schlemiel is the guy who gets hit in the face with the pie, but never saw it coming. The schlimazel also gets it in the face with the pie, but he saw it coming, and knew what was about to happen.

So, would you rather get taken by surprise by misfortune, or would you rather know that misfortune was coming your way even though you knew you could do nothing about it? Similarly, would you prefer to do something foolish and be too much of an idiot to realize it, or would you rather be stupid enough to do something foolish, but smart enough to realize what an idiot you were? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

That looks like an interesting website. I'd never heard of it before.

I'd think I still go for schlimazel. Even though life would be more painful if you realized how stupid you really were.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

s1m0n wrote: "Idiot", on the other hand, began as an assessment of a person's capacity to learn. It's an earlier euphemish for "retarded". It is not temporary.
Idiot originally referred to a private person-one who failed to be involved in politics in Greece. It's related to idiomatic and ideosyncratic.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

s1m0n wrote:
The problem is that just as soon as they invent new terms, the public learns them and starts using them as insults
Yes, that's true. The term retard is an example. People with very low IQs are said to be profoundly retarded. So I guess the next derogatory term will be profound retard.
Caj

Post by Caj »

Weeks is right. This is a hoax.

Pat Robertson has in the past made very similar comments---he once hinted that a hurricane would punish people in FL for taking part in a gay pride parade---but this particular comment is a hoax.

I first read about it on snopes.com, in the "what's new" section.

Caj
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:That looks like an interesting website. I'd never heard of it before.

I'd think I still go for schlimazel. Even though life would be more painful if you realized how stupid you really were.
A shlemiel spills the soup. A shlemazel gets the soup spilled on him/her.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Everything you know is wrong...sigh...the Internet sure has sped up rumors, etc....and cagey, manipulative people with agendas sure know how to work it. Don't know if that's the case here but no punches are pulled these days....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

You're going to believe a site that lists it's own history as:

About Dateline Hollywood

Dateline Hollywood was founded in 360 BC as "Gladiators Weekly" to cover the booming entertainment industry in the coliseums of ancient Rome. Its pioneering analysis of the statistics of lion mauls and emperor thumbs up/down made it the original publication to take the business of entertainment seriously. Its premiere edition included "The Ten Gladiators to Watch" and an analytic feature, "Deaths by Daggers Down LXVIII Percent."

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

kkrell wrote:You're going to believe a site that lists it's own history as:

About Dateline Hollywood

Dateline Hollywood was founded in 360 BC as "Gladiators Weekly" to cover the booming entertainment industry in the coliseums of ancient Rome. Its pioneering analysis of the statistics of lion mauls and emperor thumbs up/down made it the original publication to take the business of entertainment seriously. Its premiere edition included "The Ten Gladiators to Watch" and an analytic feature, "Deaths by Daggers Down LXVIII Percent."

Kevin Krell
" What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Tom Waits.

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:So I guess I'd be in pretty deep schiz-nit if they asked me to hose the Academy Awards, eh! :D
I dunno, I'm fair certain you'd be just the right guy to hose the Academy Awards... :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."