Why you should never hug an Australian

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Why you should never hug an Australian

Post by herbivore12 »

. . . without grounding yourself first.

(What's a guy in southern Australia doing in a woolen shirt and nylon jacket, anyway?)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_ ... NlYwM3NTc-
Partial excerpt wrote:SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian man built up a 40,000-volt charge of static electricity in his clothes as he walked, leaving a trail of scorched carpet and molten plastic and forcing firefighters to evacuate a building.

Frank Clewer, who was wearing a woolen shirt and a synthetic nylon jacket, was oblivious to the growing electrical current that was building up as his clothes rubbed together.

When he walked into a building in the country town of Warrnambool in the southern state of Victoria Thursday, the electrical charge ignited the carpet.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

This is really interesting. I have heard those spontaneous combustion stories and wondered if they really happened and what on earth could have caused them. The paranormal explanations did not go over with me at all. So, it must be static electricity. Wow! Of course, now there is one more thing to worry about. How does one not build up too much static electrictiy? Okay, don't wear wool and nylon. But there must be other things to avoid. Oh dear.
Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

What, was the carpet soaked with kerosine? A spark like that shouldn't have lit up the joint... but I suppose crazier things have happened.

:lol:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Cynth wrote:...don't wear wool and nylon.
Good advice.
Taste would be a better reason than fire.

I would say that Vegemite breath is a better reason not to hug an Aussy.

(Now I will never get a piccolo or fife from Mr. McGee…)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Why you should never hug an Australian

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

herbivore12 wrote:
(What's a guy in southern Australia doing in a woolen shirt and nylon jacket, anyway?)
It is winter in Australia... or early spring... and southern Austalia is colder than the rest of the continent. It is pretty cool there.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:It is pretty cool there.
It's in the fridge, daddy-o.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
herbivore12 wrote:
It is winter in Australia... or early spring... and southern Austalia is colder than the rest of the continent. It is pretty cool there.
Sure, it's chilly, but that's no excuse for a fashion travesty.

(When I was in northern Aus a while back, we were surrounded by souther Aussies escaping the winter chill; met an awful lot of folks from Melbourne...)
djm

Post by djm »

They are starting to advertise Australian wine on tv here - Wolf Blass, I think. All I can think of is Monty Python's review of Australian wines (bouquet of an aborigine's armpit, not meant for drinking but rather for hand-to-hand combat, etc.). Poor Australian wine makers. They don't stand a chance. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
herbivore12 wrote:
Thank you for that insight into your sense of fashion!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

SHOCKING!!! :shock:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Denny

Post by Denny »

Tyler Morris wrote:SHOCKING!!! :shock:
Careful there, Tyler. They'll be making sport of your sense of color next.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Denny wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:SHOCKING!!! :shock:
Careful there, Tyler. They'll be making sport of your sense of color next.
I'll just put on my wool shirt and nylon coat and chase after them!!!! :twisted:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

You have been warned. Be careful if you ever meet me. Sparks might fly. :D

Then again, when wombats walk, the bits that rub together tend not to be synthetic.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I wonder if he said "flame on" beforehand
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

herbivore12 wrote:. . . without grounding yourself first.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_ ... NlYwM3NTc-
Partial excerpt wrote:SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian man built up a 40,000-volt charge of static electricity in his clothes as he walked, leaving a trail of scorched carpet and molten plastic and forcing firefighters to evacuate a building.

Frank Clewer, who was wearing a woolen shirt and a synthetic nylon jacket, was oblivious to the growing electrical current that was building up as his clothes rubbed together.

When he walked into a building in the country town of Warrnambool in the southern state of Victoria Thursday, the electrical charge ignited the carpet.
I suppose it's a very good thing that he didn't walk into a petrol station then, huh?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com