So what's the diff?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So what's the diff?

Post by jbarter »

So as not to threadjack elsewhere I shall ask the burning question of the day right here.

What's the difference between UK and US baked beans? :-?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I'm surry to admit it but US beans come in a better sauce. I think it involves brown sugar or molasses.

Once you've tasted it, the UK variety of orangey goo just isn't quite the thing anymore.

but I still had b on t last night!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I can explain UK beans in American terms and then maybe someone else can help explain US beans. Brown sugar and molasses are both in US beans I think.

My American brethren - You know the tomato sauce in canned pasta like Spaghetti-os? That's what baked beans come in here - always that slightly funny-tasting tomato sauce. I have searched high and low with no luck in finding anything else. No "pork 'n beans" either though I did find some with chicken nuggets in the tin with the beans.

http://p.vtourist.com/2298798-Travel_Pi ... _Beans.jpg
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I am glad he didn’t ask about Boston baked beans
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I think this is a job for Walden. He seems to know these things.

However essentially our version of baked beans are slow baked with molasses and/or brown sugar. Some like to put strips of bacon over the top but that's not necessary. This is what you'd call Boston Baked Beans.

If you don't mind lots of pop-ups you can find out more at: http://www.beanbible.com
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

No "pork 'n beans" is true... we have entire sausages in our baked beans, not miserable tiny bits of underdone bacon. Image

I've had various varieties of US baked beans, but I have to say I do prefer the Heinz brand here in the UK. Although, I am somewhat partial to HP's "Full Monty", which is baked beans with sausages mushrooms potatos steaklets and salami. Very yummy.

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Few people know about the final war between England and the US. In 1826 British sailors brought red sauce beans into Boston harbor. The US responded with immediate molasses beans. Fearing for the safety of their ship the British sailors began eating cabbage as well. After two days the resulting stink brought a quick armistice. Both sides then got rip roaring drunk and went to sleep. Boston was saved.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Heinz baked beans are really nice if you fry them.

Heat a decent amount of oil in a large saucepan and tip a whole tin of baked beans in it. Cook on high heat until the oil merges with the tomato sauce.

Yummy stuff!

:D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Screeeech!!! wrote:Heinz baked beans are really nice if you fry them.

Heat a decent amount of oil in a large saucepan and tip a whole tin of baked beans in it. Cook on high heat until the oil merges with the tomato sauce.

Yummy stuff!

Yes, one of my favorite ways to clog my arteries! :D
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

US baked bean sauces vary quite a bit. The sauce I make is of the traditional New England (aka Boston) style. It includes some sort of tomato (paste or puree), mustard, molasses, sugar, vinegar, and Worcestershire. You can do a non-veggie version and put some salt pork/fat back/bacon in it. Mix it with a bunch of navy or other small beans, put it in the oven, and bake at 250F/120C for 6-8 hours.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Post by emmline »

The best ever: a recipe I adapted from my mother-in-law's heavy on the bacon and beef version.

It contains several varieties of beans--kidney, pinto, and navy or somesuch, brown sugar, molasses (a little), sauteed onions, hint of mustard, splash of ketchup, bit of pepper, and some SmartBacon(veg) and veggie burger crumbles all baked in a casserole. Very good.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

avanutria wrote:My American brethren - You know the tomato sauce in canned pasta like Spaghetti-os? That's what baked beans come in here - always that slightly funny-tasting tomato sauce.
EEWWWWW!!! No wonder you're suffering! :P Next time they are on sale, I'll have to find out postage and send you a couple of cans
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Can you not get a hold of navy (white) beans and make your own there? Ours were always made using the water left over from boiling a ham. Molasses to flavour. One homemade type I had was flavoured using regular mustard. Excellent.

I'm not sure why people would draw back in horror to hear that the English version would be tomato-sauce flavoured. The first thing people around here do is dump ketchup all over their beans, so what's the difference?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Yes, one of my favorite ways to clog my arteries! :D
Absolutely! It's a short life so we might as well enjoy our beans and die of something worthwhile. :D

I remember when i was at university in the 90's and all the major super markets had a baked bean price war. My local shop had them down to 3 pence a 14 oz can.

The oil sure seemed expensive in comparison.

Great food for poor students though.

avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hey Izzy, interested in setting up a Bush's Beans / Green & Black Chocolate exchange programme? :P Email me!