Nemo sua sorte contentus.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Nemo sua sorte contentus.

Post by Dale »

avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

How do you say, "In this moment, I am content"?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

En este momento, estoy contento/a....
oh, wait, thats Spanish...
Noum speakumus latiunus...sorryum!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
TomB

Re: Nemo sua sorte contentus.

Post by TomB »

This is a great quote. Something to keep in mind, particularly for me, at this point. I am having some great difficulties at my place of work, and I've only been here for about six months. It's so bad, this weekend I need sometime to reflect to figure out if I can/should make a change.

OK- sorry, Dale, I'm not trying to thread-jack, I really did this to say how great I think the quote is.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

So true. I have been a bit closer to contentment than usual lately, mostly because my nervous responses are slowing with age and I just am not as excitable. Not over-reacting goes a long way towards feeling contentment, especially at the end of the days. Less psychodramas....

Also, I have learned that one of the greatest sources of my personal frustration derive from living and thinking in terms of "the cult of impending perfection." Working on a newspaper, on the graphic side, having played classical music for years has led to a constant push for perfection and expectation. This translates to being hyper-critical of others and pushing them away in so doing...

Learning how to swallow mediocrity and incompetence by others within my sphere and realizing that my own expectations are my personal form of incompetence helps, too.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
missy

Post by missy »

I've often told my boys that my job - as a parent - is to help them become happy, self sufficient adults. Not to be what I want them to be, but to be what they want to be. I've said that I don't care if they dig ditches or get a PhD, as long as they are happy in whatever they choose to pursue.
I do get on them, but not because of something they aren't, usually because of something they don't do that they are more than capable of. I've never insisted on straight As, but I do insist that they complete all assignments (and with a child that's ADD, this is NOT an easy task). I've offered to help with schoolwork, or with career options, etc - but they must do the actual work.

This comes from having a parent that has NEVER been happy with anything I've ever done in my life. It no longer effects me - I long ago learned to accept that fact and live my life for myself. Most of the time, I can honestly say I am happy in my life, and satisfied with how things have gone and how things are going.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Great page. More good ones as you scroll down too...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

This idea is always sort of hard for me. My response is usually "But shouldn't I have to earn respect for myself just as I have to earn it from others? So why should I accept myself just because I am me? If I know I should be doing things to carry my fair share of the load that I am not doing, why should I accept a shirker? If I'm a jerk (or whatever word would apply), wouldn't it show poor judgement to accept myself?".

I'm not saying I think I'm evil incarnate or anything, but I guess most of us have some things we could improve on. I can't separate the needing to improve idea from the accepting idea somehow.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Condemnant quod non intellegunt
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

buddhu wrote:Great page. More good ones as you scroll down too...
Thanks. Bob Patrick writes these and I host & blogify them. I'm proud to be a small part of it.

Dale
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Blackwood wrote:Condemnant quod non intellegunt
The condemn what they do not know....at least I think that's what it is.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Yeah, they condemn what (or because) they do not understand.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I like this one....."Aliud vinum, aliud ebrietas."

Wine is one thing,drunkenness is something else.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

avanutria wrote:How do you say, "In this moment, I am content"?
"contentus" (boy)
"contenta" (girl)

if you want to be a bit obvious or medieval about it, you can say:

"contentus sum" (boy)
"contenta sum" (girl)

(adding "sum" would have seemed pointlessly verbose to a classical Roman, unless it wasn't clear that you were refering to yourself.)

That's enough to express "at the moment." But if you want to emphasize it you can add "nunc" for now ("nunc contenta" - now I am content (girl)). That implies that you weren't before, but have arrived at contentment. You can also add "hodie" for today (hodie contenta - today I am content (girl)), which is a bit more poetic and implies that contentment is fickle: here today gone tomorrow. There are other ways to literally translate "at the moment" but I shouldn't recommend them.
/Bloomfield
Paul Thomas

Re: Nemo sua sorte contentus.

Post by Paul Thomas »

Mirabile visu! ...and contentment is indeed wealth. I'm approaching it closely when I make one of my infrequent scans of the pub & find latin in the thread titles.

Is this forum embracing & extending such that I no longer need to visit Rogue Classicism? All my vices in one place? That would be truly Roman in its decadence.

The only thing missing for complete rapture would be a thread on classical rhetoric, the importance of enthymemes in Aristotle's Poetics, and a full online reprint of "The Garden of Eloquence" - oh, wait, that's already online at Perseus.

Thank you Dale!