Origami!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

TomB wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Tom B, if you have the fidgets, you might consider learning Cat's Cradle!
You only need one piece of string (two if you are REALLY picky) and you have the comfort that it may save your life by distracting native cannibals if your plane crashes in New Guinea. That's what the book said, anyway.

Umm, isn't that a "two-person" activity? Tom
There are lots of "two-person activities" that humans often opt to do alone... :twisted:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

Tyler Morris wrote:
TomB wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Tom B, if you have the fidgets, you might consider learning Cat's Cradle!
You only need one piece of string (two if you are REALLY picky) and you have the comfort that it may save your life by distracting native cannibals if your plane crashes in New Guinea. That's what the book said, anyway.

There are lots of "two-person activities" that humans often opt to do alone... :twisted:

Tyler, I must meet you some day. I may have to go to SLC, just for that reason, alone.

So, then, I should say- "isn't Cat's Cradle a game REQUIRING the use of four hands"?
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

TomB wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
TomB wrote:

Tyler, I must meet you some day. I may have to go to SLC, just for that reason, alone.
...i'm trying to decide if I should be afraid or excited.......
:P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
turtleneck

Post by turtleneck »

TomB wrote:
missy wrote: Tom does counted cross stitch and needlepoint.

My wife does counted cross-stitch, also. Well, sometimes. When she's doing it, she goes full bore, and then does not do it for a year or two.

Tom
Forgive my ignorance, but is counted cross-stitch the same as cross-stitch? Or are there some people out there who are cross-stitching like crazy and not counting a single stitch; only stopping when they run out of floss?
TomB

Post by TomB »

turtleneck wrote:
TomB wrote:
missy wrote: Tom does counted cross stitch and needlepoint.

My wife does counted cross-stitch, also. Well, sometimes. When she's doing it, she goes full bore, and then does not do it for a year or two.

Tom
Forgive my ignorance, but is counted cross-stitch the same as cross-stitch? Or are there some people out there who are cross-stitching like crazy and not counting a single stitch; only stopping when they run out of floss?
That's an excellent point. I don't know the answer.

I love your description though. If somebody did that, maybe they would become the Andy Wharhol of Counted Cross-Stitch.

Tom
TomB

Post by TomB »

Tyler Morris wrote:
TomB wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: There are lots of "two-person activities" that humans often opt to do alone... :twisted:

...i'm trying to decide if I should be afraid or excited.......
:P

Tyler: Be afraid, be very very afraid.

Nah, you are a large dude who has automatic weapons and knows how to use them. I, on the other hand, am a not so large dude, who does not own any weapons and survives on my wit and charm. :D

In reality, I enjoy your posts, even if they are meant simply to inflate your personal post count :P

I think I'd enjoy sitting down and tipping back a cold one with you.

Tom
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

turtleneck wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is counted cross-stitch the same as cross-stitch? Or are there some people out there who are cross-stitching like crazy and not counting a single stitch; only stopping when they run out of floss?
:lol: Oh dear, that's funny.

Counted cross stitch is done on special fabic (sort of in the needlepoint family of fabrics) in which the threads are far enough apart and large enough for the human eye to see and count them--so you get stitches that are very, very identical looking, they are all exactly the same size. Usually counted cross stitch is all filled in with cross stitch, sort of like needle point is all filled in. Depending on the special fabric, the size of the stitch can vary, but it is often quite small.

Just plain cross-stitch, in my experience, is usually done by stamping (ironing) a pattern on regular fabric. The pattern looks like a bunch of purple x's. No matter how hard you try, you can't get it to look quite as accurate as counted cross stitch. The threads in regular cotton fabric are just too tiny to count. I think quite often the pattern is not necessarily filled with cross stitches. The stitches in regular cross stitch are usually larger than in counted cross stitch. Regular cross stitch might also be done on checked fabric. Then you would have a pattern of squares that you look at but you wouldn't have to stamp it on the fabric because your stitches would be just the same size as the checks---the checks would guide you.

Umm, I hope you were really wanting an answer to that question.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

TomB wrote:

Cat's Cradle, per se, is a two-person activity, but you could always do Crow's Feet or Cup and Saucer all by your lonesome.
Reasonable person
Walden
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Cat's Cradle?
There ARE a few Cat's Cradle games that require four hands (or even more), but there are many, many figures that only need one pair of hands.
I have pictures somewhere of a Japanese Dance company doing a six-person dance involving weaving a stage-sized cat's cradle.

Even the figures used in the "everybody knows" cat's cradle game you can do on your own: The soldier's bed, the Pig on the Pegs, the Starfish and the crow's feet.

And I've been stuck late at night at a Railway Station with only a bit of string, and amused myself for hours working out the variations to the Osage Diamonds.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

There are instructions for several string figures, here: http://www.darsie.net/string/
Reasonable person
Walden
Caru

Post by Caru »

There are tons of string figures that one person can do alone. Telling stories with string figure illustrations is done in several cultures. Check out the International String Figure Association on the web at www.isfa.org or try Caroline Jayne's excellent book "String Figures and How to Make Them" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books), which was originally published about a hundred years ago.
turtleneck

Post by turtleneck »

Cynth wrote: Umm, I hope you were really wanting an answer to that question.
I sure was. Thanks!
Tommy

Re: Origami!!!

Post by Tommy »

Band Nerd wrote:I just ordered an origami book off the internet, hoping it'll be fun. Does anybody here do origami? How much do you enjoy it? I've done origami once or twice, nothing special. It looks challenging, but fun at the same time!

Collin :lol:
Band Nerd lives in Beaumont, Texas.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Band Nerd wrote:I've watched my grandmother knit and crochet, but it looks really complex and intricate. :o
Not at all . . . they're both very, very simple. Each starts with one basic "thing" and then that "thing" is done over and over again. Once you get the hang of the basic "thing," you can then see how the variations are done.

They look a lot more complicated than they are.

They're all done one row at a time. You make a whole row of -------. Then, you turn it around and make an x in each -, all the way across. Turn it around and make an x in each x all the way across, etc., etc. If you then start skipping an x here and there, or making taller x's, or doing 2 x's in an x, you get all those patterns. But, it's all one row at a time. One "thing" at a time.

Look at it this way . . . until a hundred years ago or so, the only way you'd have a pair of socks or a sweater or an afghan would be if you knitted it yourself. If all those people did it--and often did it while walking around minding the sheep--how hard can it be?
Caru

Post by Caru »

You can find a radio program about origami on bbc.co.uk/radio this week. From the main site, click on "Factual" under the Speech category in the Listen column on the right side of the page. The program is called "Fold Here First" and I think it'll be available until Friday.