Seller's Remorse

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Seller's Remorse

Post by Tyghress »

I have made a 5 year hobby of buying whistles, playing around on them, and selling those that don't work out well for me. I've bought and resold more instruments than I currently own.

Now three times I've had the opportunity to play an instrument I've previously owned, and immediately regretted selling it in the first place. I've heard of buyer's remorse, but I'm having some major cases of seller's remorse, and last night I decided that I really NEEDED to have a Syn again. Guy offered it to me at twice the price I sold it to him for!

Maybe if I just slip it in my bag on the way out?

Anyway, I wonder how many others have this problem, and whether its caused them not to sell whistles that otherwise they would have moved on to other owners.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Seller's Remorse

Post by Wanderer »

Tyghress wrote:I have made a 5 year hobby of buying whistles, playing around on them, and selling those that don't work out well for me. I've bought and resold more instruments than I currently own.

Now three times I've had the opportunity to play an instrument I've previously owned, and immediately regretted selling it in the first place. I've heard of buyer's remorse, but I'm having some major cases of seller's remorse, and last night I decided that I really NEEDED to have a Syn again. Guy offered it to me at twice the price I sold it to him for!

Maybe if I just slip it in my bag on the way out?

Anyway, I wonder how many others have this problem, and whether its caused them not to sell whistles that otherwise they would have moved on to other owners.
I often wish I had an Abell still (and likely will some day in the future) ..but I am glad that the guy who has it now has got it. I wouldn't have sold it to anyone else.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I kinda wish I still had my laughing low D, but then other times I don't think that I would have played it much anyway. It was a cool whistle though.

I once ordered two whistles from a maker, intending one to be a gift for a friend. When the whistles arrived, one was very nice and the other was the sweetest thing I had ever heard in my life. Guess which one my friend got?

:moreevil: Sometimes I really annoy myself. I've already made my friend promise to sell it to me if it ever goes on the market.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The closest I've come was sending my Humphrey D out to Idaho for a trial - Steve returned it and must have tweaked it somehow ( :) ) because now I like it enough not to sell it. Go figure. I also recently traded an Abell delrin D that I miss on occasion but I think Jim is as happy with it now as I am with the Copeland C I got in return - happy all the way round, no regrets. (I do after all have my Busman little green delrin friend). Whatever else I've sold I don't miss at all.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

After I received my Overton low d I tried to sell my Howard low d (bumped the thread to many times and it was locked :lol: ). Last week I needed a low c for our praise band and was to slow trying to buy another overton on the board. I found an aluminum tube (handle of pool dip net)
put holes in it and the Howard low d fipple fit good. Plays great. :D No time for regrets but I now need a handle for my pool dip net. Arg :boggle: The woes of Whoa.

I bought a pre owned Greenwood and the seller and I thought it was lost in the mail. So when I knew I was going to Minnasota for vacation I ordered a new one. Then the pre owned came back to the seller and he remailed it me. I have not tried to sell either because they both sound excellent.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

You can buy Syns at Gaelic Crossing but hurry.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

avanutria wrote:I kinda wish I still had my laughing low D, but then other times I don't think that I would have played it much anyway. It was a cool whistle though.
I kinda still wish I had your Lughing low-D too. :lol:

I bought it from Loren as I recall.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I kind of regret trading away my set of Syns last week but then I jsut play my new Water Weasel High Eb and I don't regret it I also kind of regret selling or trading some of my Tweaked Whistles as I had made some nice ones especially my Feadog D and C also my Dixon because now I do not have a quiet Whistle. I am happy with the Whistles I am currently not trying to sell and have almost got all the High Ds I will need Burke (own), Bleazy(on its way), Sindt (about to send payment to buy one used), and another Dixon I need a quiet one to take anywhere (I have yet to purchase). Then come the Flutes...
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

PhilO wrote:The closest I've come was sending my Humphrey D out to Idaho for a trial - Steve returned it and must have tweaked it somehow ( :) ) because now I like it enough not to sell it. Philo
Glad I could help. :)
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I agree with you on the Syn: if I were looking to sell whistles, my Syns would not be on the list to go.

--James
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Yep! I had a really great Abell that I sold...wish I still had it. It was different from most of the other Abells I've played before or since. It had a buttery tone without too much air sound.

-Brett
thirdfipple

interesting read

Post by thirdfipple »

I am a relative unknown on here, I have been reading for about 6 months but recently registered.

I state that because I want to set the stage for my observation generated from reading this thread. It is amazing how much commerce/swapping of whistles occurs between the C&F irregulars. I have to laugh when I see the "six-degrees" of whistledom (with no Kevin Bacon in sight I might add!)

I have decided this phenomena needs a name.
Hmmm, whistle bartering, whistle sharing, whistle swapping, whistle trading, wait I just had a thought..... that's it! From now I will always think of this as:

...wait for it...

whincest

I can go to bed now.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Oh, I thought it was Whoa.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Tommy wrote:Oh, I thought it was Whoa.
Well, whincest would be a bi-product of WhOA, wouldn't it?

:lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jessica Ventura

Post by Jessica Ventura »

I don't miss a single one.