Susan the betta picture (was: fish)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I.D.10-t wrote:Great pet, just watch the water. Most people try to treat their fish too well and change all of the water at once. Lack of healthy bacteria, chlorine, etc. will hurt a fish faster than neglect.
I know. She isn't my first fish. I used to have many tanks set up, you know--back when I didn't have a life. :)
Jack

Post by Jack »

OK, follow up question--I know it's normal for female bettas to sometimes lay eggs, and, in the absense of a male to fertilize them, to eat them.

But is it normal for them to lay the eggs and NOT eat them?
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cranberry wrote:
emmline wrote:Nice fish Cran! I hope she does well.
Thanks. I wanted to get a mouse but we're not allowed to have them in the dorms...

...but if I got a female (which don't produce the musky smell like the males) and let her live in a big sterilite box under my desk where nobody would ever know...

Oh ... they'll know alright... when she finally manages to chew through that sterlite! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

anniemcu wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
emmline wrote:Nice fish Cran! I hope she does well.
Thanks. I wanted to get a mouse but we're not allowed to have them in the dorms...

...but if I got a female (which don't produce the musky smell like the males) and let her live in a big sterilite box under my desk where nobody would ever know...

Oh ... they'll know alright... when she finally manages to chew through that sterlite! :lol:
Actually, I've kept hundreds of mice like that before. As long as the insides of the big sterilite box are smooth, there's nothing for them to grab on to so they can't (and don't) chew out.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Bettas are cool to breed, the male will create a bubble nest and capture the eggs in his mouse and 'blow' them into the bubbles. They stay there until hatching.

We used to keep them when I was a kid, but my dad kept the tank in the path of the window AC unit, so they didn't live though the Houston summer. :D
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

beowulf573 wrote:.... the male will create a bubble nest and capture the eggs in his mouse.... :D
That's one hellova trick for a fish! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

"This is my mouse, I shall hug him and hold him and kiss him and call him 'George'."

Ahem, 'mouth'. Sorry.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Ow, shucks!
I thought mebey you could tell me how to teach my fish how to do that... :P
(I've got a miniature Bask Shark <I think that's what it's called>. It's supposed to be vegetarian or something, but it ate one of my other fish! I figured if I could teach him how to catch a mouse in his mouth, then catch eggs with his mouse, I could make some good money at the county fair!)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:OK, follow up question--I know it's normal for female bettas to sometimes lay eggs, and, in the absense of a male to fertilize them, to eat them.

I think it would depend on how hungry she is. If you've been feeding her, then she might not eat the eggs.

Why do you ask?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cranberry wrote:OK, follow up question--I know it's normal for female bettas to sometimes lay eggs, and, in the absense of a male to fertilize them, to eat them.

How many things can you do with eggs? Isn't that both of 'em?
Jack

Post by Jack »

It seems she just waited a while, because they're gone now...
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I see . . . they needed to ripen a bit . . . :wink:
Rob G

Re: fish

Post by Rob G »

I like her :D

Actually, I was thinking that one female betta could be a bit tricky to entertain (In the world of betta's, the males spend houres in front of the mirror but the females don't seem to care that much) so she might get a bit depressed.

Anyway, have fun,

Cheers,

Rob
Jack

Post by Jack »

This is as clear a picture of Susan as I could get, and her house. The camera made her look greenish, but she's actually quite blue.

Those brown bulbous things are plants that haven't sprouted yet.

I'm going to try to find some duckweed to put in there with her, but the pet store doesnt carry it because it grows too fast and ebay and aquabid only want to sell it by the cup full but I only need about a spoon of it. Any C&Fers just so happen to have spare duckweed they wanna give me? :P
djm

Post by djm »

Any roadside ditch or pond should yield up some duckweed, and maybe something natural for your fish to eat as well.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.