Animal Behavior - Surging serpents!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I've never had a horror of snakes--just a healthy respect, especially if I can't immediately identify it.

They are startling though, if you're not expecting them. I've been sort of de-conditioned from being too startled, though, since I get baby snakes in the house from time to time. I'm in an old log house and they make their way up from the basement some point after hatching. It was years before I identified them as baby black rat snakes, since at that age they're still mottled in color and aren't black yet. I also get a few baby Eastern milk snakes (reddish triangle on the top of the head). And sometimes those little bitty black snakes with the collar on. I've never seen one longer than about 8 inches.

The cats are delighted with them, of course. Self-propelled string! When I find the snakes, I always pick them up (carefully, right behind the head) and toss them in the general direction of the St. Francis statue in my herb garden. It's just off the deck, and not far enough away from the cellar entrance, but what the heck.

I did get bitten once (an inconsequential pinch), by incautiously picking up one that I thought the cats had killed. I was wrong. :D

M

PS--I once worked with a woman who was so snake-phobic that when someone played a mean trick on her by putting a rubber snake through the bathroom door, she had major hysterics and it took them about an hour to get her out (she had slammed the door shut on it and by gosh wasn't going to let it loose) and calmed down.
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Wanderer wrote:vids from the university of chicago, that herbivore mentions above:

flight vid:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~jjsocha/flyin ... light.html

snake making 90 degree turn in air.
http://home.uchicago.edu/~jjsocha/flyin ... _turn.html
Yup, probably wrong... wouldn't be the first time. The flying snake I knew of, I didn't realize this was the same species.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

The vid in which the snake makes a (very sudden!) 90-degree turn is pretty amazing; I especially like the startled researchers underneath, scrambling away.

If only they formed flocks . . .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The videos load but they won't play. :cry:

Must be a workplace computer thing.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh poor nano. Why don't you just forget about that darn job and live a little? :lol:
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

You got Quicktime on that computer, Nano? Maybe it needs a newer version or something . . .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hard to say about the Quicktime thingy. I used to be able to get vids no problem. Could be my crabby meddling geek brother put more limits on the 'puters here ("The internet is the worst thing that ever happened to computers, blah blah blah..."). I'll bet HE gets to look at naughty stuff on his, and does, if I know him at all. I just do C&F or Google uilleann pipes and other racy controversial trash like that, including flying snakes. Terrible, terrible.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: :lol: Oh dear. I'd hate to get in a fight of words with Nano. :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote::lol: :lol: Oh dear. I'd hate to get in a fight of words with Nano. :lol:
When you grow up in a decidedly non-robust physique, you gots to have something. The feel of bones cracking under one's fist is very satisfying, I'm sure, but I had perforce to go for the SOUL. :twisted:
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Cranberry wrote:......
You don't hear people say, "Awww, such a cute little snake" like they do to puppies and kittens, after all...
Actually, I hear people say "what a nice looking snake" quite a bit - but then I work in a pet store and we sell snakes. And pinkies for the snakes to eat, and mice for the snakes to eat, and rats for the snakes to eat, and even chickens and rabbits for snakes to eat. I can handle knowing the pinkies and mice are food, and even the rats if I don't see them, but knowing a snake is going to eat a little chick or a rabbit freaks me out. However, I'm getting paid to check them out, not to change anybody's idea about their pet, so I keep my mouth shut and try not to think about it.

I would make a terrible farmer - I'd have a really hard time killing any animals myself.

I'm ok with snakes if I see them first. I don't like being surprised by anything, snakes or bugs or anything like that.
Charlene
mukade

Post by mukade »

Snakes don't really bother me. When I lived out in the Japanese countryside, they were a common sight.
One of my neighbours told me they always had snakes in old-style thatched houses. They were known as 'lord of the house' and were considered protectors of the home. So much for Cran's Eden theory.

After several years in Japan, I thought I had got used to most slithery, wriggly things until one of these crawled across the floor...

They are called 'gejigeji' and belong to the centipede family.
:shock: :shock:

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

mukade wrote:Snakes don't really bother me. When I lived out in the Japanese countryside, they were a common sight.
One of my neighbours told me they always had snakes in old-style thatched houses. They were known as 'lord of the house' and were considered protectors of the home. So much for Cran's Eden theory.

After several years in Japan, I thought I had got used to most slithery, wriggly things until one of these crawled across the floor...

Mukade
i bet the japanese eat them things, nice and crispy, with sesame seeds..
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Ah. A nice pleasent snake thread quickly filled with creepy crawly horrors.

I'd post the clock spider picture but I can't bear to look upon it.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
mukade

Post by mukade »

amar wrote:
i bet the japanese eat them things, nice and crispy, with sesame seeds..
That sounds more like Chinese food.

The only insects I know of eaten in Japan are...

grasshoppers
and bee larvae
boiled in soy sauce.

My mother-in-law has some in the fridge, but it is not a common food.
I have heard Nagano prefecture is the place to go for yer wriggly nosh.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

mukade wrote:Snakes don't really bother me. When I lived out in the Japanese countryside, they were a common sight.

Mukade

SONOFA!!!!!

How big is that mufffugger????!!! Looks huge!
<big shudder>
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown