Is it worth buying a tunable Susato?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fishie

Is it worth buying a tunable Susato?

Post by Fishie »

I want to try a Susato, but I read that the two piece is limited in its tunability, so i was wondering if it is worth it. To be honest, I like the look of the non-tunable better, not that looks should matter. Any opinions on the subject?
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

For it's price range, a tunable Susato is always a bargain. I cut my teeth on the high D. I think I still have it here some place.
More than a few famous players use a Susato.

Mike
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Fishie: If you harbor the desire to ever play your whistle with other instruments, purchasing a tunable instrument is always 'worth it.'

Simply my $.02...

Be well.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Byll wrote:Fishie: If you harbor the desire to ever play your whistle with other instruments, purchasing a tunable instrument is always 'worth it.'

Simply my $.02...

Be well.
Byll
Agreed..I played non-tunables for the longest time.

And then I started playing with others ;)
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Tunable is a Good Thing.

--James
fearfaoin

Re: Is it worth buying a tunable Susato?

Post by fearfaoin »

Fishie wrote:I want to try a Susato, but I read that the two piece is limited in its tunability
All whistles are limited in their tunability in some respect...
Did you read why they are limited? Is it that you can only make them flatter
(a problem with unmodified cheap whistles)?
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-I have both, a tuneable Susato and a non-tuneable in the truck which seems impervious to abuse. The tuneable will pull apart for easier stowing, and Fearfaoin is right -tuning is handy, but maybe not if you play alone only and have no need to adjust pitch. One-piece whistles are often more sturdy than tuneables, but that may be of limited value if you treat yo' whistles well. I treat my indoor whistles well and they beg to be played again and again. :)
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

Byll wrote:Fishie: If you harbor the desire to ever play your whistle with other instruments, purchasing a tunable instrument is always 'worth it.'
I'm aware of the virtues of tunable intruments. What I was really wondering is if the Susato is tunable enough.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Fishie wrote:
I'm aware of the virtues of tunable intruments. What I was really wondering is if the Susato is tunable enough.
All of my Susato whistles are tunable. Enough that they can all be brought dead on A=440. I also have the privelage of playing with a fine acordion player (don't laugh, it's possible :D ) from time to time who's box is about A=447 I would imagine. These work fine there too. The don't require any funky breath controll to be blown into tune. Set it and forget it.

My big question would be "Is the non-tuneable whist in tune enough to get by with out needing adjustment?"
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Oreo

You can make non-tunable tunable

Post by Oreo »

Hi,

I visited the makers in NC, and they told me that the non-tunable normal bore (not Very Narrow) can be made tunable. Just use a 12 cent 1/2 inch pvc pipe extension joint/sleeve available at any hardware store. Cut the whistle, file off a little in length, and glue on the pipe fitting to one side. They fit snugly already, so you probably won't even need teflon tape for the tuning side of the joint.

I had one of my non-tunables run over by a passing car when I dropped it on an asphalt road. It only sustained a couple of scratches and is still playable.

Phil
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Scott McCallister wrote:My big question would be "Is the non-tuneable whist in tune enough to get by with out needing adjustment?"
If you're playing with others, you likely want a tunable model. I've been to a session in Houston where there was someone who played a Susato, and was enough out of tune to be noticeable. I don't know if they had a tunable model and just never bothered or if they had a non-tunable, but when I looked up to see who was out of tune (since I'm always afraid it's me) , the guy next to me said under the music "nah, it's so-and-so..you just have to kind of ignore their tuning when they're here".

I think it's the things like this that make me so paranoid about keeping myself in tune. ;)
Last edited by Wanderer on Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

O.K. So if I'm really looking for a tunable, I should kick out a few $$ and get an upper-end model. I may pick up the Susato two piece anyway, since people generally have good things to say about them.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

There really is not much latitude for tuning Susatos BUT i have been glad for the little there is. If you are going to play with others then definitly go for the tuneable ones.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I brought a tuner to a festival this summer because I wanted to buy a good Susato. One of the first ones I picked up could not be put into tune. I forget whether it was sharp or flat, but there wasn't enough adjustment to make it right. The one I tried after that was perfect.
If you get one that's not right just return it. It's a reputable company.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

A vote for tunable and a point to consider: if you end up falling in love with a tunable model, you can buy another body or two in other keys to match it, thus saving some $$ in the long run.

I'm enamored with my tunable Susato A that I bought a couple of years ago, and just picked up a G body to go with it. It'll take a couple of weeks before it really feels like home, but my first impressions of the G are good thus far.

Jef