Anyone have a Dell computer?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

I have passed through a number of Dell's at work, currently using two 340 workstations and a laptop X1 (standard computers at the office).

My impression is that they are no better or worse than other major brand names.
Customer service and support are probably better if you are a company so I have never had any trouble, they return any complaint within a few hours and any replacement is fixed within two days, we pay extra for that.

If you are to buy one for private use I guess the laptop models are ok, if you can get a good deal or discount.

I would strongly advice against getting a Dell desktop computer to use at home.
The main reason is that Dell does not use standard dimensions on their mother boards and the plug-in graphic and sound cards are often customized versions and it is therefore not always possible to use other drivers than the ones provided by Dell.

This will limit your possibilities to upgrade the computer in the future or replace broken parts if needed. A new motherboard from Dell cost as much as a new computer and as soon as a product is discontinued you will have no support and no update of drivers.

Cheers!

/MarcusR
Last edited by MarcusR on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

A friend recently had a nightmare experience with a new Dell, during which they shipped their machine to someone else and the someone else's machine, a lesser model, to them. Upon discovering this, they notified Dell before using the machine. Dell contacted the other family, which had had theirs up and running for several weeks, and simply asked them to pack the thing up and send it to my friends. My friends declared this to be unsatisfactory, as it was now a used computer. Dell refused to accept it back, claiming it WAS a used computer. "Sorry, we can't sell this now as new. . . it has been used for two weeks." After several more weeks of arguing, Dell finally agreed to take it back, but only if it was shipped back at my friends' expense.

On the other hand, the little power supply fan gave out on my nearly 3-year-old Gateway. It required only a short email conversation to get a replacement power supply sent out under warranty, complete with excellent directions for making the switch. I didn't have to take the it to a repair shop, didn't have to send in the old power supply before they'd send me a new one. I didn't even have to send it back after making the repair. They were nice as could be and didn't make fun of my non-technical explanation of what was wrong. I didn't even have to figure out what I needed . . . they queried my machine to find out. They even accomplished all of this in the middle of the night.
missy

Post by missy »

well, I'm typing this on an ancient, bought used through eBay 4 years ago, Dell Latitude laptop. The only thing really wrong with it is the battery is dead, and it's WAY too expensive to get another, even if we can find it.

I know all the laptops at work are Dells - including those assigned overseas such as in Europe and Asia. I'm about to be assigned a laptop, (beginning of October), bet it'll be a Dell.

As for desktops, I've had the worst luck with HP systems. Especially when combined with Agilent (which used to be HP) software.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Right now I am using a Dell desktop, at home. I had one other at home and worked with several at work. My previous home computer had problems but we never ruled out that it wasn't a Windows ME problem. I have called Dell support but I never had any major difficulty understanding the Indian accent, and I got the help I needed. Maybe I've just been lucky. I also had a service tech come and replace the CDRW drive. The visit was arranged by the Indian support guy but the tech who came to my house was American :) . The Dells at work, desktops and laptops, never had any major problems. I guess I have lived a Dell charmed life.

But I have heard horror stories about other computer makers, most recently about an HP laptop purchased at CompUSA. CompUSA was definately at fault there. I don't know how much blame was to be born by HP.
Mike
moxy

Post by moxy »

I've got a Dell, and have had for about two years now. I've had no trouble with customer service in India - in fact, I was impressed at their patience, and we resolved my issues every time I called. They even stayed on the phone with me while I disassembled and reassembled the PC to have a look inside :)

I like it - wish I had the flat screen now though, might make the switch if I can find the $$ to do so...
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Anyone have a Dell computer?

Post by Dale »

susnfx wrote:I'm not really interested in a discussion about all the different computers, and what you'd get if you could or what you have now. I'm really only interested in hearing about Dell computers by those who actually own or use one. I don't know much about them and I'm wondering if they're basically good computers or if they have problems.

Bottom line: If you own or use one, do you like it or would you get rid of it if you could?

Susan
Sorry you asked?

DW
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

I've had a Dell for over 5 years now. The same one. Anytime I called for assistance which has only been a few of times, I got help right away. The first couple of years, I got an American on the line. The last time just a few months ago when I called to get instructions to add a new hard drive and CD burner. I got an Indian who surprisingly spoke perfect English.

If I ever have to get another computer, it will be a Dell again. I just hope, that is never, because I love my W98SE and would have an awful time getting use to something else. I hate my moms HP and her Windows XP. Her CD burner/player hasn't worked right from the beginning and she has received papers in the mail for a lawsuit against them. Not one that she filed, but one where all of the people get something or nothing in the end. I can't come up with what that is called. It must be past my bedtime. :roll:

Good luck on making the right decision Susan.

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

YEE HAW! Another chance to post:

I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

missy wrote:
As for desktops, I've had the worst luck with HP systems.
And I just recently had my son replace my '98 HP computer with one he built himself ~

In fact, the old one still works fine, and my husband is gonna set it up in our study.

For "tech support" I have my sons, so no calling for me. :party:

M
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

DaleWisely wrote:
susnfx wrote:I'm not really interested in a discussion about all the different computers, and what you'd get if you could or what you have now. I'm really only interested in hearing about Dell computers by those who actually own or use one. I don't know much about them and I'm wondering if they're basically good computers or if they have problems.

Bottom line: If you own or use one, do you like it or would you get rid of it if you could?

Susan
Sorry you asked?

DW
Um...only because I decided to go a completely different direction yesterday :oops: . I do appreciate the responses--they helped with the decision I did make.

Susan
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My last Dell XP desktop computer I purchased new on ebay at a discount price (several hundred dollars less than the same computer from Dell's catalogue). It came with the 3 year gold star in-home service warranty. I have had to make one customer service call (a year ago), got a cs person in Austin, TX (he had a funny accent), and a repair person drove 60 miles to my house to repair the problem. I would purchase another Dell computer, although I have been hearing good things about Gateway, as well.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I haven't read the entire thread, so I am just giving my opinion of Dell.

A friend of mine has a Dell and they use non-generic parts.

Reading up some on slashdot at about the time he bought it, they said that if a mobo or power supply went out and you bought a non-Dell part, you would burn out both the power supply and motherboard.

The CPU and fan are in an unusual place so that the fan has to be a Dell assembly.

It also had a winmodem and an oddball soundblaster Live card that uses a different driver than the SBLives I have had experience with.

He has had a terrible time with tech support. Within 30 days he had a motherboard and hard drive failure.

When their tech guy replaced those, he did a re-install of Windows 2000 Pro and he used the FAT32 filesystem rather than the NTFS! He has had both CD rom and CD burner to fail. Luckly, a generic can be used for these and he replaced them with a DVD dual layer burner.

If it's a tower box you want, then, I would just buy good parts and case and put your own box together.

I would take almost any other brand than Dell for a laptop as well as I would be suspicious of them because of their past track record.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

susnfx wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Sorry you asked?
Um...only because I decided to go a completely different direction yesterday
Cool! What'd you get? (I only ask because I'm a Geek.)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

fearfaoin wrote:
susnfx wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Sorry you asked?
Um...only because I decided to go a completely different direction yesterday
Cool! What'd you get? (I only ask because I'm a Geek.)
Well, it involved a lot of convoluted thinking and reining myself in (I'm an impulse buyer). What it boiled down to was that yes, I undoubtedly need a new computer but: the one I have works well except for the sound issue and being slow as molasses, my monitor is new, my speakers are new...so I decided to buy a new printer and wait (financial issues) and buy a CPU later--I can do that, right? I mean, buy just the hard drive box thingy later? (You can see my level of geekness.)

So, I bought an HP printer/copier/scanner (handy) and, other than having to listen to music clips at work instead of at home where I could try to play along, I'm happy as a clam. :)

Susan
Denny

Post by Denny »

susnfx wrote:and buy a CPU later--I can do that, right? I mean, buy just the hard drive box thingy later?
You were doing good...then you went for the hard drive box thingy :D