Any other Chiffers play the Mandolin?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

For all mando heads everywhere

http://www.mandolincafe.com/

Don't get lost now , we have had one celebrated chiffer defect over here already and there may be more....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

dubhlinn wrote:For all mando heads everywhere

Don't get lost now , we have had one celebrated chiffer defect over here already and there may be more....
That reminds me, I joined that group about three years ago but I've forgotten the name I registered under. :boggle:
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I have a Alverez A style mandolin. I haven't played in a long time since the bridge is messed up. Someday I'll fix it.

Glauber plays mandolin too but he hasn't been here in awhile.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Tyler Morris wrote:What brand is your mando Buddhu? (It's not a Rogue is it?)
It's so low-end that I had to go and look before I remembered the name! It's the most basic Blue Moon model that Hobgoblin offer. My wife bought it for me when I mentioned that I'd like to play mando. She knows me well enough to know that it would be foolish to spend on a 'real' instrument until I've had a go to see how I get on.

As I said, out of the box the action was like a cheese-grater and all but unplayable. However, now I've set it up I have to say I'm actually very fond of it. I've tried other 'better' mandos, but my cheapie has a nice chunky neck that I find more comfy then the very slim necks on just about every other I've checked out.

I'm happy to stick with it for now, and I'm playing it every day.

Same with my cheap banjo. OK so it is 'better' quality than the mando, but still a cheapie. It's a Gold Tone short-scale tenor from Andybanjo.com and is also getting played every day. Only prob with the banjo is that I daren't mess with the set up as it looks so complicated with those rods and brackets and stuff! Like a freakin' machine...

Not really a problem, as the set up as it arrived from Andy is fine, but as a confirmed inverted snob and fan of cheap instruments I am used to having to do quite a bit of DIY to get the best out of them, and I really would like to learn my way around the tenor well enough to set it up and maintain it myself.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I have a couple of reasonably nice mandos in the house, and a couple of clunkers.

I used to love slobbing in an armchair picking a mando, and my mando years definitely helped when I switched over to fiddle.

My problem, and part of the reason for the switch, as that my Mando was waaaay to quiet to be heard in a group or a noisy outdoor setting, the sound just didn't carry, sometime I couldn't even hear myself. I discovered later that you can get louder mandos, but by that time I was a fiddler.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Slan,
D.
Ahhh, yes, I know who you speak of (at least I think...).
I've been a member of Mandolin Cafe since last year, I think...I took a long hiatus from there for a while; the people there aren't nearly as interesting as the ones here! (and they dont have a pub either!)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Slan,
D.
I pop in there occasionally, it's a nice neat site. Just doesn't feel like home though. Now if only C&F had a mando/Fiddle/banjo forum...
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

buddhu wrote:

Slan,
D.
I pop in there occasionally, it's a nice neat site. Just doesn't feel like home though. Now if only C&F had a mando/Fiddle/banjo forum...
I'll second that!
Let's ask Dale to put one up :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
rh

Post by rh »

i have half a dozen at last count. and i'd probably have one more by now if the roof hadn't started leaking after the hurricane...

hmmm.... collings.... roof.... collings.... roof................
there is no end to the walking
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

hope the leak didnt ruin any.. :o
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I play Mando. All I have is a Kentucky KM-380 better than most imports but not the best instrument. I play Flute a lot more though.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Soon, and I'm hoping tonight, we'll have a new forum on this board: "Traditional Stringed Instruments," for mandolin, fiddle, etc.

Enjoy.

Dale
with thanks to Rich.
missy

Post by missy »

DaleWisely wrote:Soon, and I'm hoping tonight, we'll have a new forum on this board: "Traditional Stringed Instruments," for mandolin, fiddle, etc.

Enjoy.

Dale
with thanks to Rich.
MOUNTAIN DULCIMERS???????? :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

DaleWisely wrote:Soon, and I'm hoping tonight, we'll have a new forum on this board: "Traditional Stringed Instruments," for mandolin, fiddle, etc.

Enjoy.

Dale
with thanks to Rich.
Ooh ooh, Tyler, look!

:D Thanks very much Dale and Rich :D

Post by Guest »

And Banjars!