Fifth and Final Test thread: 8-12 September at the Oval

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Congratulations England on a well-deserved Ashes win. It was harder fought and more closely contested than any other Ashes series I can remember. You don't dominate world cricket for over a decade without having a strongly competitive team but England answered almost every challenge, and today they answered their last one. They are a very fine side and will be hard to beat for everyone over the next few years.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Wombat wrote:Congratulations England on a well-deserved Ashes win. It was harder fought and more closely contested than any other Ashes series I can remember. You don't dominate world cricket for over a decade without having a strongly competitive team but England answered almost every challenge, and today they answered their last one. They are a very fine side and will be hard to beat for everyone over the next few years.
And what sporting spirit. Football could learn a lot. Ferguson and Wenger won't even talk to each other after a match, then they spend the next day in the press slagging each other off!! I'm uplifted. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

I know they say that size isn't important, but I was expecting a bigger urn.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

ectophonic wrote:I know they say that size isn't important, but I was expecting a bigger urn.
It only had to be big enough to hold the remains of one burnt bail.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I rather enjoyed the mounting frustration of the commentators when the Aussies came off for bad light after four balls, but the match could not be declared drawn immediately.

I cycled home with their whinging in my ears through my pocket digital radio, and just got through the door in time to see the bails lifted.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

With Richie gone I despair for the future of cricket commentary. None of the others seem capable of just having a conversation to pass the time. I suppose I've been spoilt being raised on Arnott.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

jbarter wrote:With Richie gone I despair for the future of cricket commentary. None of the others seem capable of just having a conversation to pass the time. I suppose I've been spoilt being raised on Arnott.
:lol: He was so good at soothing rambling that you can't even remember his name: Arlott. I must say that I miss his Hampshire burr too. :)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Wombat wrote:
jbarter wrote:With Richie gone I despair for the future of cricket commentary. None of the others seem capable of just having a conversation to pass the time. I suppose I've been spoilt being raised on Arnott.
:lol: He was so good at soothing rambling that you can't even remember his name: Arlott. I must say that I miss his Hampshire burr too. :)
John Arlott, the best commentator EVER. I have a 2 hour tape "The Voice of Cricket" featuring some of his best - the poetic way he deals with a streaker has to be heard to be believed. Also he gave the score after EVERY BALL, not just at the end of the over, so you never had to wait for long.

Generally I prefer the radio commentary to the TV, though Ritchie was good. We'll still get to see him though, apparently he's off down under to commentate there for a while, so the cheese and coffe has yet to be served. :D
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Martin Milner wrote:
John Arlott, the best commentator EVER. I have a 2 hour tape "The Voice of Cricket" featuring some of his best - the poetic way he deals with a streaker has to be heard to be believed. Also he gave the score after EVERY BALL, not just at the end of the over, so you never had to wait for long.

Generally I prefer the radio commentary to the TV, though Ritchie was good. We'll still get to see him though, apparently he's off down under to commentate there for a while, so the cheese and coffe has yet to be served. :D
And he did it all without calling anybody a dear old thing. :wink:

Was that streaker incident the famous 'leg over' episode in which the whole box dissolves into giggles?

Perhaps my favourite, actually heard live, was the deadpan 'The bowler's Holding; the batsman's Willey.' It took me several seconds to realise I'd actually heard that one on radio. Can't remember who it was who said it though.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Marvellous. :D

What a great series. Two brilliant sides with some great characters. I would say that it was so good that it almost didn't matter who won...

But what's the point in lying when EVERYONE knows it?
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Wombat wrote:He was so good at soothing rambling that you can't even remember his name: Arlott.
:oops: I've been staring at my keyboard for twenty minutes now and I still can't see how I managed a typo as bad as that. :oops:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Cricket is not my thing but Arlott sure had a way with words.

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
oscartherabbit

Post by oscartherabbit »

Wombat wrote:Was that streaker incident the famous 'leg over' episode in which the whole box dissolves into giggles?
That was Aggers describing a freak dismissal for Ian Botham when he fell over his own stumps. "Couldn't quite get his leg over...".

There is a clip of the "leg over" incident at http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sport/bestcommentary/.

Enjoy.

(edited to add)

"The bowler's Holding..." was Johnners.
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Thanks Oscar. Those two were priceless but especially funny if you just happened to be listening at the time.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

jbarter wrote:
Wombat wrote:He was so good at soothing rambling that you can't even remember his name: Arlott.
:oops: I've been staring at my keyboard for twenty minutes now and I still can't see how I managed a typo as bad as that. :oops:
Relax, John. It happens to all of us from time to time. I had a much worse brainstorm on another board yesterday and no, I'm not going to tell you about it. :wink: