Any other Chiffers play the Mandolin?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Any other Chiffers play the Mandolin?

Post by Tyler »

I just bought meself a new mando Saturday to take on camping trips and such (so if something happens to it, I'm only out $300 instead of $3000!), and I got to thinking yesterday, "I wonder if there are any Chiffers who play mando too......"
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

don't play it, but I own one - it was my dad's. Really tacky thing that he had put a pick up on, etc. - but there have been some good players at the house that say it sound really good for what it is.

One of the earliest pictures I have of my dad is him playing a mando when he was in the Civil Conservation Corps.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

do you know who might have made your father's mando? Just out of personal interest.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

missy

Post by missy »

there's no label in it, and it's painted a gosh awful black enamel. It could be something he cobbled together from other instruments, he was always doing something like that.

I'll see about getting a picture of it and posting on our site.........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I have one I was given for my 50th birthday last Feb. Any day now I'm gonna do some serious practice on it. Honest.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

missy wrote:there's no label in it, and it's painted a gosh awful black enamel. It could be something he cobbled together from other instruments, he was always doing something like that.

I'll see about getting a picture of it and posting on our site.........
Let me know when you post them and I'll go check it out! :) Do you know how old it might be?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Mandolin is on the list of instruments I'd love to learn to play. (The list currently includes guitar, fiddle, and mandolin. I have a guitar and a fiddle, but I need to take lessons.) My dad plays mandolin (and guitar), and has had two (and F-style and an A-style) custom made by Audey Ratliff.

Perhaps when I retire, I'll finally have time for all my hobbies. In the meantime, I content myself with playing the whistle (and singing in the shower). :roll:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I'm learning mando and tenor banjo and I love them both. Picking patterns for jigs are a bit random at the moment, as are my triplets. I keep playing the note following the triplet with an upstroke, and doing the same with the fourth beat of the 6/8. Grrr.

My mando is a very cheap one indeed, so much so that it was just about unplayable out of the box - but after taking a file to the string slots in the nut it is remarkably playable and addictive. And soooo portable!

It's great being able to use the same fingering on the mando and the banjo. If the sound of one isn't what you're in the mood for you just pick up the other and play it much the same.

I've just about got The Swallows Tail (the reel) down to a passable standard, and the same for Chief O'Neil's. I'm currently working out the neat mandolin parts from one of the Dubs' versions of Leaving of Liverpool (the one with Ronnie and Bobby on vocals).

Also working on The High Reel, The Fermoy Lasses and Kitty Come Down from Limerick. Finding all of those hard. In Fermoy Lasses I have a blind spot and keep forgetting where i am in the tune, and Kitty buggers me up because I'm a dunce with my picking patterns and slip jigs are obviously a bit of a test in that respect...

The whistle is suffering a wee bit from neglect.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

What brand is your mando Buddhu? (It's not a Rogue is it?)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

My first mandolin was a round back that I bought from Ted Furey about thirty odd years ago.It cost me twelve quid.I have no idea where or with who it ended up.

I play a Kentucky flat back these days.Being primarily a fiddle player,I have always enjoyed the mando and find it very enjoyable for quieter moments.
Sometimes I drop the E and the G down a tone for song accompaniment.

It is worth the effort Tyler, stick with it :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have a 70s Kentucky A style that I love. It's so pretty I have it hanging on the wall. Mandolin is a LOT of fun to play. I don't know many chords-- I generally pick out tunes. I love bringing it to sessions for when I get tired of playing whistle, or if there are already a lot of whistle's playing.
Also, the fingering is a good intro to fiddle fingering if you ever decide to go that route.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I play a Fylde. It's really delicate and has beautiful tone but would not be heard in a bluegrass setting. It's perfect for my needs.
BD

Do You Play Mando?

Post by BD »

I play a Flatiron A style mando. I've played mandolin quite a bit longer than I've played whistle (23 years on mandolin and a 4 years on whistle). I like bringing my mandolin to sessions for tunes that go below the reach of a whistle. Also, playing rhythm is just such fun on some songs.

BD
I care not who makes the laws of a country as long as I can listen to their music!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I have an old regal two-point mandolin and several no-name tenor banjos.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis