Hard Case

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nemesis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hard Case

Post by Nemesis »

I’m guessing that those of you with whistles over $300 and such don’t just keep them in a soft case lying about hither and yon. So I’m wondering if anyone has a hard case for a typical D size whistle, and how much and where you bought it and did it come with a 50,000 mile protection plan and so on and so forth …
Bryan
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Hard Case

Post by chas »

Nemesis wrote:I’m guessing that those of you with whistles over $300 and such don’t just keep them in a soft case lying about hither and yon.
Not sure where you got that idea. Most of my high-end whistles are wooden, and I keep them in a tupperware humidifier. The Schultzes all come in handmade cases, but they're kind of voluminous; I'd have to get a gun safe or something to keep them in. I have a big piece of fleece that I just kind of weave between them. For those that came in cloth bags, I just keep them in those. For the metal ones, I just keep them on a homemade stand that's basically a wire spool, test tube, etc., stand with a bunch of dowels of different diameters that I stand the different keys of whistles and flutes on.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I just use a Gun Case.
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

I don't have any $300 whistles but my son-in-law made me this case to keep my favorite whistles in.

If anyone is interested, the whistles are Alba low D, Alba Alto G, Dixon Alto A, Hoover whitecap Bb, Alba Q1 and a Clark D, which is there because my Parkhurst Copper D was out on loan to a friend.

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

My only whistles these days are Abells.
I will soon order a very custom case from Cedar Creek to house my collection of flutes and whistles, but for now . . .
Here's my case:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=h ... id/544070/
I love it; it reconforms to the whistles/flutes I need for each different gig. Pretty, too. And taps into that black Irish/Scottish sense of humour.
This could work as well:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=h ... id/543078/
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
Stu H

Post by Stu H »

Pool/billiards cue case.
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

i have a few whistles that are expensive and a hard case would not even occur to me. none of mine are wood- if you had a high end wood, or 2, a hard shell makes sense.
meir
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

i have a few whistles that are expensive and a hard case would not even occur to me. none of mine are wood- if you had a high end wood, or 2, a hard shell makes sense.
meir
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Flute/whistle case #1 is a modified briefcase. I took it to the local auto upholsterer and he made a beautiful, plush-covered, slotted section for my wooden Boehm and left an accessory well at the handle side which can hold swabs, flute stands, pens, cork grease, and five or six whistles of assorted sizes. I don't think it'll hold a one-piece low D, but I don't have one anyway, and aren't likely to get one. (Can't make the reach.)

Flute/whistle case #2 is an aluminum, briefcase-sized handgun/equipment case with egg-crate foam. A big section of foam lifts out and gives you two layers--one under the foam, one under the lid. This works for my new Casey Burns Folk Flute. Extra-long instruments might fit better catty-cornered.

Case #1 came about because the cases for my two wooden Boehm flutes are ratty and falling apart. New cases for these larger-outside-diameter flutes are way more expensive than even a modified briefcase.

The inspiration for them both was contra dance multi-instrumentalist David Canteini, who hauls around flutes, whistles, a bombard, a saxophone, and sometimes an oboe. I've seen him put the flute-like objects together in one padded briefcase for ease of transport.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I think that our fellow-Chiffer, Lark, still builds whistle and flute cases.

http://www.larkwoodworks.com
Reasonable person
Walden
emmline

Post by emmline »

The nice thing about whistles is that even the higher-end models are still rather simple little structures, without keys to jam, or expansive planes of wood to crack. Obviously people do occasionally slam them in car door and such, but it seems to me that any sort of soft protective case, even without a hard shell, should be adequate, and not so bulky.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Having recently recovered from FRAGAD (Fly rod and gear acquisistion disorder) I can tell you that, in any high-end tackle shop you will find cases for all lengths of skinny things. Hardy, Orvis, Scott, Dragonfly, and Loomis all make cases for 4-5 piece rods: very fancy, robust, and slick. Prices range greatly.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

mvhplank wrote:
Flute/whistle case #2 is an aluminum, briefcase-sized handgun/equipment case with egg-crate foam. A big section of foam lifts out and gives you two layers--one under the foam, one under the lid. This works for my new Casey Burns Folk Flute. Extra-long instruments might fit better catty-cornered.

I go the same thing except plastic outside it was only like $15 at a sports equiptment store.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Unseen122 wrote:
mvhplank wrote:Flute/whistle case #2 is an aluminum, briefcase-sized handgun/equipment case with egg-crate foam. A big section of foam lifts out and gives you two layers--one under the foam, one under the lid. This works for my new Casey Burns Folk Flute. Extra-long instruments might fit better catty-cornered.
I go the same thing except plastic outside it was only like $15 at a sports equiptment store.
I think I paid $20-something (less than $30, all told) on eBay.

I suspect the regular briefcase (Case #1) may be easier to take on an airplane, if the need arises. I also had it fitted with a shoulder strap, and Case #2 just has the regular handle.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Thank you all for the replies. Some things here I’d never even considered as whistle case material. I’ll check the links and look into some of the suggestions.

Thanks !
Bryan