Heather Clarke's book?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
gold ring

Post by gold ring »

Oh yeah.....good one...I actually had forgotten.....Haven't found out yet. Love to know. Hot piper girlies are a rare thing!!!!!
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Good tutor. I think a good tutor ought to take a couple years to work through (unless you're even more obsessive than average for pipers). It's thorough in the beginning, where it counts most.
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

heather clarke probably is hot. i can tell from the voice. but that should not matter. there are millions of attractive women in the world and it doesn't take much talent to be one. there is only one tutor like hers, though.

i use it exclusively.
what i suggest is to use the book as a warmup. meaning:
until you have passed lesson #12: start every practice by playing the book from the begining. it only takes a few minutes and you will rapidly have it memorized.
once you have done enough of the book so that there is not time to play it all each day. warm up occasionally with the first 12 lessons, then play other tunes.

after lesson 12, the tunes are certainly not arranged in the exact order of difficulty that i would have chosen, experienceing it as a beginner.
for example, frahers is much easier than kittys rambles yet comes after it. and harvest home is introduced too early. and ask my father is introduced too late.

so after lesson 12, jump around with what suits you, playing tunes freely without ormaments you are not ready for.

meir
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

gold ring wrote:Oh yeah.....good one...I actually had forgotten.....Haven't found out yet. Love to know. Hot piper girlies are a rare thing!!!!!
I doubt Dr. Clarke would like to be referred to as a 'hot piper girlie'.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I think Brian Howard has/had a picture of Heather Clarke on his website. Must have been the only one in circulation. Perhaps someone can forward the link to Gold Ring..?
djm

Post by djm »

Found the photos on BH's site, but none of them are labelled. Which one?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

This may have come up before, but is Heather C even playing the pipes anymore? I heard something to the effect that she isn't, or at least that she's not playing them very much.
I agree with the assessment that her tutorial starts out very well for beginners but suddenly takes a leap that beginners may have a difficult time keeping up with. I have used her tutorial in conjunction with the NPU tapes and found they each fill in gaps that the other doesn't cover.
Ailin
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
djm

Post by djm »

JES wrote:I doubt Dr. Clarke would like to be referred to as a 'hot piper girlie'.
Good man yerself, Joe. I don't know any ladies who would appreciate an epithet like this. If it is not sufficient for some to simply call her Dr. Clarke, a more truly sensitive and politically correct term would likely be rockin' piper babe.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
gold ring

Post by gold ring »

Hot hot hot.....it's Sat night and goldy thinks of hot piper chicks!!!!!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

gold ring wrote:Hot hot hot.....it's Sat night and goldy thinks of hot piper chicks!!!!!
djm wrote:
JES wrote:I doubt Dr. Clarke would like to be referred to as a 'hot piper girlie'.
Good man yerself, Joe. I don't know any ladies who would appreciate an epithet like this. If it is not sufficient for some to simply call her Dr. Clarke, a more truly sensitive and politically correct term would likely be rockin' piper babe.

djm
I simply thought I would express my opinion that a little well deserved respect for Dr. Clarke was in order... she has more than earned it, don't you think?
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

My sources tell me there's another Clarke tutor out there...

ausdag

Post by ausdag »

djm wrote:Found the photos on BH's site, but none of them are labelled. Which one?

djm
There's a whole bunch of out-of-focus shots mostly close-ups of bearded men, from some Lark camp but I don't think any of those are her :)
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
billh

Post by billh »

excellent, the disguise worked.
DarthWeasel

Respect

Post by DarthWeasel »

I simply thought I would express my opinion that a little well deserved respect for Dr. Clarke was in order... she has more than earned it, don't you think?
Of course she deserves respect!! But being a guy I am intriged by the fact that she is a female that plays the bag pipes and she has a cute irish accent.

My profession (computer programmer) is also a field devoid of females.
Well thats enough sexism from me.
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"