whistles are better than flutes.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Wah Lum kung fu has some flute and stick forms, and some of them require a stick much the same size as a low D :)
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

I think it depends on what you're used to. Both are generally responsive and can easily be played at a fast tempo, but I guess that if you're mainly a whistle player and not very proficient on the flute, you wouldn't be able to play the flute up to speed. I played whistle first, but nowadays I play the flute much better than the whistle. I reckon it works both ways.
Whitmores75087 wrote:It's a daunting challenge to play flute at full ITM speed. Some can do it, but not many. Most flute players that I know switch to something else when the going gets rough (guitar, whistle).
Les Cruttenden

which is best?

Post by Les Cruttenden »

whistles are not better than flutes...whistles are different to flutes and each have their appropriate place...BUT...accordions (have just bought one) are definitely better than flutes............argh...now what?
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

The flute can cover up to 16 distinct emotions, whereas the whistle is limited to 9. Everybody knows that.

:lol: I love your signature!
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mamakash »

My tin whisles have flute envy.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I think some flutes are better than most whistles and some whistles are better than most flutes.
~JessieD
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Whoa, that's making my head hurt :D
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Don't forget Serpent's bicycle-steel beasts.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

BUT...accordions (have just bought one) are definitely better than flutes............
HERESY! HERESY! Quick, call in the Spanish Inquisition.... :devil:

Eric
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I had to go do a search to find this, but it was perfect to drop in here:
blackhawk wrote:In the Haiku section of C&F there was one that really made me laugh. I can't remember who wrote it, but it fits in here:

A small Irish pub
An ugly fight beginning
Low D heard ringing
M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Speaking of dangerous instruments, I picked up a Sheng in China many years ago. Shengs are a curious mating of 1974 water bong, reject pipe drones, and harmonica, and they are more-or-less a mouth-blown concertina. Yes, you can play a ripping reel on it.

Danger came when clearing customs in Vancouver. I, in my bleary jet-lagged state, could not adequetely explain to the officers (senses of humour surgically removed at birth) either what the Sheng was, or how to take it apart. The next three hours were not fun.

On that trip I had tromped through areas of war and famine, but I didn't experience poor hospitality 'til I got back to my own country.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

ninjaaron wrote:
StewySmoot wrote:There are tunes that sound absolutely perfect on the whistle. That perfection needs to spring beyond the confines of ITM.
What, where am I. Your avatar always makes me forget what I was going to say.

Oh yeah:

The whistle seems like it's used in a lot of music besides ITM. Especially boring music for adults, but it seems to be leaking in to other genres as well. More and more all the time... My mom listlens to a really terrible christian radio station a lot, and there is whistle on a lot of the better songs on there. There are a few good songs... just not many.
Ninja, thanks to your pub post a while back, my curiousity about harps has been growing insatiably.

If you want to hear a great deal of "boring adult music," go to any download service and type in "Celtic Harp." There are some wonderful, fantastic harp players out there - Harriet Earis for starters. But there is also a tremendous amount of Seltic New-Age pfaff more suited to the weather channel or an elevator than a sentient person's stereo.

Oh, and I'm jonesin' hard for a Gothic 26-string harp tuned to G. Good going, Ninjaaron. :roll:

:lol:
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Wormdiet

Re: which is best?

Post by Wormdiet »

Les Cruttenden wrote:whistles are not better than flutes...whistles are different to flutes and each have their appropriate place...BUT...accordions (have just bought one) are definitely better than flutes............argh...now what?
as. . . .a door stop?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Denny

Post by Denny »

JessieK wrote:I think some flutes are better than most whistles and some whistles are better than most flutes.
Almost zen and absolute truth.
Wormdiet wrote:
Les Cruttenden wrote:whistles are not better than flutes...whistles are different to flutes and each have their appropriate place...BUT...accordions (have just bought one) are definitely better than flutes............argh...now what?
as. . . .a door stop?
Slow release boat anchor?
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Denny wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:
as. . . .a door stop?
Slow release boat anchor?
That's not what your mama was saying last night. At the barn dance.
Everyone likes music