whistles are better than flutes.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OnTheMoor »

Flutes are much, much sexier. 8)
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

There are tunes that sound absolutely perfect on the whistle. That perfection needs to spring beyond the confines of ITM.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

It's a daunting challenge to play flute at full ITM speed. Some can do it, but not many. Most flute players that I know switch to something else when the going gets rough (guitar, whistle).
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Whistles, hrumph, pipes is where it's at baby.

:twisted:

[runs back to the pipers forum]
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

It is a matter of your interpretation with your instument. The whistle is what it is. You do what you can with it and take it wherever you want.

If you think you can reach higher levels with a flute, fine. You should have bought a flute to begin with and saved yourself some $$.

I have an Irish flute. It sounds great, I wish I could play it better. But I would rather play a whistle. Why? I dont know and I dont care.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Yeah, whistles are way better than Flutophones...well... y'know... I do like that bell on the Flutophone, but other than that.
Reasonable person
Walden
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

It's hard to whip a flute out of your pocket and pick up women without looking a little pretentious ;)
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Ron Burgundy can do it.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Remember the Shakuhachi (a WHISTLE). When Ronin wandered the countryside, without their Katana (swords), they could always whip out their Shakuhachi and beat the living snot out of music critics. Or something like that.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Chiffed wrote:Remember the Shakuhachi (a WHISTLE). When Ronin wandered the countryside, without their Katana (swords), they could always whip out their Shakuhachi and beat the living snot out of music critics. Or something like that.
It was a very in-your-face kind of faith.
Reasonable person
Walden
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

StewySmoot wrote:There are tunes that sound absolutely perfect on the whistle. That perfection needs to spring beyond the confines of ITM.
What, where am I. Your avatar always makes me forget what I was going to say.

Oh yeah:

The whistle seems like it's used in a lot of music besides ITM. Especially boring music for adults, but it seems to be leaking in to other genres as well. More and more all the time... My mom listlens to a really terrible christian radio station a lot, and there is whistle on a lot of the better songs on there. There are a few good songs... just not many.

But whistle does seem to be taking pop by storm, not to mention movie music. It's a real mood maker, which I guess is what I probably value most in music.

By the way, anyone ever notice how the sound of the whistle is always described as haunting by non-whistlers? (well, in the hands of a good player... I think we've all heard other adjectives, not to mention explitives, from those we habitate with)

I was talking to my mom about the rise in whistle popularity, and she said "well, I don't think it would take much to make it popular... It kinda wakes something up inside of you, like a primitive response to that sound".

Is it possible that the tin whistle holds the keys to the human soul?

This means that I need to buy more. Can't wait for my Mellow Dog to arrive.
Everyone likes music
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Chiffed wrote:Remember the Shakuhachi (a WHISTLE). When Ronin wandered the countryside, without their Katana (swords), they could always whip out their Shakuhachi and beat the living snot out of music critics. Or something like that.
I don't know that musicio-oligistcy people would exactly call a shakuhachi a whistle... there isn't really a fipple.

*coughendblownflutecough*
Everyone likes music
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

True, the ethno-organologists would quibble - 'end-blwn flute' is more correct.

Also, trying to bodge a fipple-block out of one's lower lip is a challenge if one has facial hair. Drool helps, but seems very un-Samurai. I just love the fact that shakuhachi double as an effective weapon, sort of like my Generation G.

Gotta love multitasking.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Chiffed wrote:True, the ethno-organologists would quibble - 'end-blwn flute' is more correct.

Also, trying to bodge a fipple-block out of one's lower lip is a challenge if one has facial hair. Drool helps, but seems very un-Samurai. I just love the fact that shakuhachi double as an effective weapon, sort of like my Generation G.

Gotta love multitasking.
I bet those keyless derin flutes could leave a nasty mark. (well the ones with keys would probably leave an even nastier one, but who would hit someone with a keyed flute?)
Everyone likes music