Need used Dixon basic plastic flute in D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Need used Dixon basic plastic flute in D

Post by Guest »

Please if you have one of these basic models looking for a new home, I would like to buy it for an a wannaplayer who's still chosing twixt flute and fiddle...

thanx
DCrom
antispam: No

Re: Need used Dixon basic plastic flute in D

Post by DCrom »

toasty wrote:Please if you have one of these basic models looking for a new home, I would like to buy it for an a wannaplayer who's still chosing twixt flute and fiddle...

thanx
So you're trying to steer them towards fiddle? :twisted:

I've heard the the 3-piece conical Dixons are pretty decent, but the two-piece cylindrical one I have is a *lot* harder to play than any of the wooden flutes I've had a chance to borrow (not a big selection, admittedly). Not unplayable, but it made getting started a lot more work than it needed to be.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The Student would do better with a Tipple Flute about the same price too.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

Yeah, Tony's 3-piece conical is good; I didn't like the one cheaper cylindrical model I tried.

If you're looking in the 3-piece price range, take a look at Casey Burns' wooden folk flute. It's had great reviews (I've not played one).

If you're looking in the cheaper, cylindrical category, you're probably better off going with one of Doug Tipple's PVC flutes. I had one and thought it impressive for the price; I gave it to another member of this board, though, else I'd just send it off to you.

Good luck on your budding fiddler/fluter. (Why not both?)
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

DEFINITELY go with a Tipple, or a CB, or perhaps a Ralph Sweet. I had a chance to compare all four on the same day recently, and the Dixon isn;t even in the same category.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I'll go along with the others. Tipple is a great value, and I'm finding it to be a good starter instrument.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Doug Tipple's basic 2 piece tunable D flute is only $55. For a beginner, especially, it will start them off right. It will be an instrument to learn on instead of fight with, as in the case of the Dixon 2 piece.

But, if they have small hands, the Eb or G may be even better, depending on the size of their hands.

Here's Doug's webpage:

http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dougswebspace/
~~~~
Barry