The omnipresent Soldier's Joy. (long post)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

The omnipresent Soldier's Joy. (long post)

Post by Flyingcursor »

Another thread got me to thinking about this tune. Is there anyone who's played any kind of trad or dance who hasn't learned this tune?
I have never found a compilation CD of fiddle tunes that didn't include Soldier's Joy.

Therefore, for your enlightenment, I researched the history of this ever over played tune. Here's what I found.

SOLDIER'S JOY [1] (Lutgair An Sigeadoir/t-Saigdiura). AKA and see "French Four" [2], "I Am My Mamma's Darlin' Child," “John White,” "The King's Head," "The King's Hornpipe [1]," "(I) Love Somebody [1]," "Payday in the Army," "Rock the Cradle Lucy." Old‑Time, Bluegrass, American, Canadian, English, Irish, Scottish; Breakdown, Scottish Measure, Hornpipe, Reel, Country Dance and Morris Dance Tune. D Major (almost all versions): G Major (Bacon, Bayard‑Simmons). Standard or ADae (Edden Hammons). AB (Athole, Bayard‑Simmons, Shaw): AABB (most versions): ABCDE (Cooke {Ex. 54}). One of, if not the most popular fiddle tune in history, widely disseminated in North America and Europe in nearly every tradition; as Bronner (1987) perhaps understatedly remarks, it has enjoyed a "vigorous" life. There is quite a bit of speculation on just what the name ‘soldier’s joy’ refers to. Proffered thoughts seem to gravitate toward money and drugs. In support of the latter is the 1920’s vintage Georgia band the Skillet Lickers, who sang to the melody:

Well twenty-five cents for the morphine,
and fifteen cents for the beer.
Twenty-five cents for the old morphine
now carry me away from here.

Bayard (1981) dates it to "at least" the latter part of the 18th century, citing a version that has become standard in Aird's 1778 collection (Vol. 1, No. 109_) and Skillern's 1780 collection (pg. 21). Kate Van Winkler Keller (1992) says that the hornpipe “Soldier’s Joy” appeared with a song in London in about 1760. John Glen (1891) and Francis Collinson (1966) maintain the first appearance in print of this tune is in Joshua Campbell's 1778 A Collection of the Newest and Best Reels and Minuets with improvements. It has been attributed to Campbell himself but Collinson notes it is hardly likely as it is a well known folk dance tune in other countries of Europe. There is also a dance by the same name which is "one of the earliest dances recorded in England, but no date of origin has been established. It is still done in Girton Village as part of a festival dance. The tune is also well known in Ireland" (Linscott, 1939). The melody was used in North‑West England morris dance tradition for a polka step, and also is to be found in the Cotswold morris tradition where it appears as "The Morris Reel," collected from the village of Headington, Oxfordshire. Scots national poet Robert Burns set some verses to the tune which were published in his Merry Muses of Caledonia. In the first song of Burns' cantata, The Jolly Beggars, by the soldier, is to the tune of “Soldier's Joy.” Early versions of "Soldier's Joy" can be traced to a Scottish source as far back as 1781; variants can be found in Scandinavia, the French Alps, and Newfoundland (Linda Burman‑Hall, "Southern American Folk Fiddle Styles," Ethnomusicology, Vol. 19, #1, Jan. 1975).

Swedish folklorist Jonas Liljestrom writes to say that Danish folk dance researcher Per Sørensen has traced the history of “Soldier’s Joy” in Denmark and Scandinavia, and has written that it can be found in the third volume of Rutherford's Compleat Collection of two hundred of the most Celebrated Country Dances, Both Old and New, published in Scotland circa 1756. Sørensen’s article includes a transcription of the Rutherford version, nearly identical to the usual melody, and indicates the “Soldier’s Joy” title was used by Rutherford and that it was published with dance directions. Liljestrom cites: Sørensen, Per: "Dansens og musikkens rødder 42: Hornfiffen fra Randers 2.del" ("The Roots of the dance and music part 42: The Randers Hornpipe part 2"), (Published in "Hjemstavnsliv" issue nr. 11, 1999. The magazine is issued by "Landsforeningen Danske Folkedansere" ["National Association of Danish Folk Dancers"] in association with Danske Folkedanseres Spillemandskreds ["Danish Folkdancers' Association of Fiddlers"].)

In America the melody is ubiquitous. It was cited as having commonly been played for country dances in Orange County, New York, in the 1930's (Lettie Osborn, New York Folklore Quarterly), and Bronner (1987) confirms it was a popular piece at New York square dances in the early 20th century. The title appears in a repertoire list of Norway, Maine, fiddler Mellie Dunham (the elderly Dunahm {b. 1853} was Henry Ford's champion fiddler in the late 1920's). Musicologist Charles Wolfe (1982) says it was popular with Kentucky fiddlers. The tune was recorded for the Library of Congress by musicologist/folklorist Vance Randolph, from the playing of Ozark Mountain fiddlers in the early 1940's, and, for the same institution by Herbert Halpert in 1939 from the playing of Mississippi fiddlers John Hatcher, W.E. Claunch and Stephen B. Tucker. “Soldier’s Joy” is one of ‘100 essential Missouri tunes’ listed by Missouri fiddler Charlie Walden. It was also recorded by legendary Galax fiddler Emmett Lundy, and is listed as one of the tunes played at a fiddlers' convention at the Pike County Fairgrounds, Alabama (as recorded in the Troy Herald of July 6, 1926) {Cauthen, 1990}. Arizona fiddler Kenner C. Kartchner said: "Every fiddler plays this. Some not so good" (Shumway). Howe (c. 1867) and Burchenal (1918) print a New England contra dances of the same name with the tune. Tommy Jarrell, the influential fiddler from Mt. Airy, North Carolina, told Peter Anick in 1982 that it was a tune he learned in the early 1920's when he first began learning the fiddle, at which time it was known as "I Love Somebody" in his region. Soon after it was known in Mt. Airy as "Soldier's Joy" and, after World War II, as "Payday in the Army." Another North Carolina fiddler, African-American Joe Thompson, played the tune in CFgd tuning. Gerald Milnes (1999, pg. 12) remarks that tune origins were of significant value to West Virginia musicians who often tried to trace tunes to original sources. It was the first tune learned by Randolph County, W.Va., fiddler Woody Simmons (b. 1911). Braxton County fiddler Melvin Wine (1909-1999), says Milnes, used family lore to attribute the tune to his great-grandfather, Smithy Wine, of Civil War era. Smithy, it seems, had been detained by the Confederates in Richmond under charges of aiding Union soldiers. Although imprisoned, his captors found out he was a fiddler and made him play for a dance, and Smithy later associated the tune with this incident, calling it “Soldier’s Joy.” For further information see Bayard's (1944) extensive note on this tune and tune family under "The King's Head." During a Senate campaign in the 1960's the piece was played to crowds by Albert Gore Sr., the fiddling father of the Vice President during the Clinton administration (Wolfe, 1997).

In England, the title appears in Henry Robson's list of popular Northumbrian song and dance tunes ("The Northern Minstrel's Budget"), which he published c. 1800. The novelist Thomas Hardy, himself an accordionist and fiddler, mentions the tune in his Far From the Madding Crowd:

'Then,' said the fiddler, 'I'll venture to name that the right
and proper thing is 'The Soldier's Joy' ‑ there being a
gallant soldier married into the farm ‑ hey, my sonnies,
and gentlemen all?' So the dance begins. As to the merits
of 'The Soldier's Joy', there cannot be, and never were,
two options. It has been observed in the musical circles
of Weatherbury and its vacinity that this melody, at the
end of three‑quarters of an hour of thunderous footing,
still possesses more stimulative properties for the heel
and toe than the majority of other dances at their first opening.

At the turn into the 20th century the melody was in the repertoire of fiddler William Tilbury (who lived at Pitch Place, midway between Churt and Thursley, Surrey), the last of a family of village fiddlers who had learned his repertoire from an uncle, Fiddler Hammond (died c. 1870), who had taught him to play and who had been the village musician before him. The author of English Folk-Song and Dance concludes that “Soldier’s Joy” was enjoyed in the tradition of this southwest Surry village about 1870, and was one of a number of country dances which survived well into the second half of the 19th century (pg. 144).

Some of the lyrics which have been sung to the tune are:

Chicken in the bread tray scratchin' out dough,
Granny will your dog bite? No, child, no.
Ladies to the center and gents to the bar,
Hold on you don't go too far.

Grasshopper sittin on a sweet potato vine, (x3)
Along come a chicken and says she's mine.

I'm a‑gonna get a drink, don't you wanna go? (x3)
Hold on Soldier's Joy.

Twenty‑five cents for the malteen,
Fifteen cents for the beer;
Twenty-five cents for the malteen,
I'm gonna take me away from here.

Love somebody, yes I do, (x3)
Love somebody but I won't say who.

I am my mama's darling child (x3)
And I don't care for you.

Refrain

Dance all night, fiddle all day,
That's a Soldier's Joy. (Kuntz)

The Holy Modal Rounders sang:

Bold General Washington and old Rochambeau
Buggering the hessians while the fire light's aglow
Spending all their money, drinking all their pay
They're never going to end the war this a way.

In Newfoundland, it is sometimes known as “John White” and sung accompanied by the fiddle or accordion:

Did you see, did you see, did you see John White?

He's gone around the harbour for to stay all night.
He's gone around the harbour for to get a dozen beer.
He's gone around the harbour and he won't be coming here.
He's gone around the harbour for to get a cup of tea.
If you sees him will you tell him that I wants he?

Source: http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/FCfiles.html
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

It was certainly a tune you were likely to hear any time my grandfather got his fiddle out.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

Flydood - you should post this on E.D., and make sure you dedicate it specifically for folkfan!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: The omnipresent Soldier's Joy. (long post)

Post by colomon »

Flyingcursor wrote:Is there anyone who's played any kind of trad or dance who hasn't learned this tune?
Err... me? I mean, I can hear Great Big Sea sing their version ("Billy Peddle Billy Peddle Did you see Tom White?") in my head, but I don't think I've ever tried to play it, and until I got to the Newfoundland section in the above writeup, actually thought we were talking about a completely different ultra-common tune.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Thanks for that, Flyguy! Very interesting.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Hey, Flying,

Whatever you were on when you started this thread...I WANT some.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Don't know if it was your intention, but this thread amused me enough I took the time to learn the tune. :twisted:

I can see why it might be a tad overplayed, though - very easy to pick up the basic tune, without any really tricky bits to deal with. One of those tunes whose notes are easy for even beginners to learn - but takes a much higher skill level to play well. I'll get there someday, maybe. And will try to hold of playing it in sessions until that day arrives. :D
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Sorry, dumb as a rock. Could't find the sheet or the ABC's.

Link?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

I enjoyed reading that.
Everyone likes music
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm glad some of you liked it. I guess there are more people who don't know it then I thought.

The site above has a few ABC versions of the tune. I just didn't post that as part of the message.

Here's an ABC version from http://thesession.org/tunes/display.php/1356
A great source.

Here's a link to one version of the tune. Note that this site has a lot of cool old recordings.

http://www.archive.org/audio/audio-deta ... urce_audio

Another great site with over a thousand tunes.
http://www.norbeck.nu/
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

It's on the list of tunes my local group 8 Bars are playing on Sunday for a Food Festival.

I've tried it, but it somehow doesn't grab me, so I'm playing bodhran for that one! Probably we're not getting the snap into it that makes it good - it just doesn't have a hook for me.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Flyingcursor wrote: Here's an ABC version from http://thesession.org/tunes/display.php/1356
A great source.
Thanks for the ABC. I thought that was the tune you were talking about, but wasn’t sure if there was another version.

The version that I have seen was from Compleat Instructions for the Fife c.1780
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."