Thanks, y'all!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Thanks, y'all!

Post by Lambchop »

Planes from Great Britain are now arriving in Little Rock, Arkansas, carrying food for Katrina relief, and aid is beginning to come in from countries around the world.

It is truly humbling for me to see all the wonderful, generous offers of aid . . . to see all of you sending your best to us . . .

So, thanks to all of you. You've been very kind and we are most blessed to have you for neighbors.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/intern ... ndex.html/

This is a partial list of all the countries that are helping us. It is, as Lamby says, so very kind. It sounds as though there may have been some logistics problems in getting the aid to the places, but please don't think that means it isn't wanted or needed. Thank you all very much.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Well and graciously said. I second that emotion; simple, humble thanks are in order.
mukade

Post by mukade »

One of the world's poorest countries, Bangladesh, has promised 1m dollars in aid.

Japan has also offered money and support. A typhoon is currently ripping through Japan as I write. Flooding is bad here, but in a mountainous country like this people fear landslides the most.

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=ne ... &id=348167

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Jack

Post by Jack »

mukade wrote:One of the world's poorest countries, Bangladesh, has promised 1m dollars in aid.
That's really something. It reminds me of the story in the Bible about the lady who gave a few coins but really gave more than the wealthy people who gave a lot of money, because those two coins were all she had.

It's not that Great Britain, Australia, Canada, and all the other developed countries' money and other aid isn't appreciated or needed (I think we all know it is), but that when such a poor country gives so much of their resources, it sort of stands out (to me at least, and I'm guessing mukade, too...).
mukade

Post by mukade »

Cranberry wrote:
mukade wrote:One of the world's poorest countries, Bangladesh, has promised 1m dollars in aid.
That's really something. It reminds me of the story in the Bible about the lady who gave a few coins but really gave more than the wealthy people who gave a lot of money, because those two coins were all she had.

It's not that Great Britain, Australia, Canada, and all the other developed countries' money and other aid isn't appreciated or needed (I think we all know it is), but that when such a poor country gives so much of their resources, it sort of stands out (to me at least, and I'm guessing mukade, too...).
Cynical people might say they are doing it to gain favour with the US, but I prefer to think that Bangladesh is a country that understands the misery flooding can bring.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Jack

Post by Jack »

mukade wrote:
Cranberry wrote:

Cynical people might say they are doing it to gain favour with the US, but I prefer to think that Bangladesh is a country that understands the misery flooding can bring.

Mukade
I'm not cynical. I didn't mean to come across that way. I actually agree with you.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

That's amazing. I've never even heard of Djibouti, but they are donating $50,000. Words cannot express.

Robin
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks so much for posting link. Very inspirational, I can't find better words....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:That's amazing. I've never even heard of Djibouti, but they are donating $50,000. Words cannot express.

Robin
Djibouti is also a Muslim country, with over 90% of the population Islamic. Tiny; located on the Horn of Africa.
/Bloomfield
mukade

Post by mukade »

Cranberry wrote:
I'm not cynical. I didn't mean to come across that way.
You didn't. It wasn't aimed at you. :D It wasn't aimed at anyone. :D :D

Mukade
- Tony Mcmahon
brianc

Post by brianc »

Bloomfield wrote:
spittin_in_the_wind wrote:That's amazing. I've never even heard of Djibouti, but they are donating $50,000. Words cannot express.

Robin
Djibouti is also a Muslim country, with over 90% of the population Islamic. Tiny; located on the Horn of Africa.
Not to split hairs, but Djibouti is nowhere near the Horn - it's between Somalia and Ethiopia & Eritrea on the east coast, along the Gulf of Aden & the Red Sea.

They were a French colony until the late 1970s. And you are correct, the population is about 90% Muslim.

Djibouti currently hosts the only United States military base in sub-Saharan Africa.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Cranberry wrote:

Hello Cran,
In biblical terms it is called the "widow's mite". She didn't give much, but what she gave was very large to her, in terms of what she had to give.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/intern ... ndex.html/

This is a partial list of all the countries that are helping us. It is, as Lamby says, so very kind. It sounds as though there may have been some logistics problems in getting the aid to the places, but please don't think that means it isn't wanted or needed. Thank you all very much.

Thank goodness several countries are sending logistics experts.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

A friend in our time of need is a good friend indeed. Bless them, as they bless us!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com