Clarke Sweetone question: is it supposed to be like that.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ninjaaron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Clarke Sweetone question: is it supposed to be like that.

Post by ninjaaron »

My Clarke Sweetone sounds pretty good. It's never quite satisfied me like my other whistles, but maybe it's just my sound (all my others are cyliners)... not sure...

Anyway, along the seam, inside the bore, there is a peice of metal that sticks up about 1/8". This is down the whole bore. That Doesn't really seem right. Is that ok? or Normal?
Everyone likes music
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Normal.

Clarke Originals and Shaws also have this internal raised seam. Based on a lot of working with these whistles, I've come to the conclusion that it most likely doesn't influence the sound, though I may be able to do a more systematic test eventually.

Best wishes,
Jerry
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Normal.

Clarke Originals and Shaws also have this internal raised seam. Based on a lot of working with these whistles, I've come to the conclusion that it most likely doesn't influence the sound, though I may be able to do a more systematic test eventually.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Ok, at least it's not a defect.

I would go out on a limb, and guess that it probably does effect the sound. after just a little experience builing flutes (only about 20 or so), I've found basically every little thing about the inside of the bore affects the tone.

Not to doubt your experties, There are really a lot of things I don't know.
Everyone likes music
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Different parts of the geometry affect voicing and performance more than others.

There are some casting irregularities in plastic whistleheads that are quite pronounced, but I've found that it makes no difference at all whether I clean them up or not. There are other parts of whistlehead geometry that will make a crucial difference if there's only .005 inches of deviation from the ideal dimension, so some things I clean up and adjust meticulously and some things I ignore or only touch up for cosmetic purposes.

It may be that the raised seam inside the rolled/soldered metal whistles affects the performance or timbre, but I have yet to determine what the effect is or how much of an effect is there. They can be stunningly good whistles, even with the raised seam inside.

Best wishes,
Jerry
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

In my experience, whistles are less fussy about what the bore is like than flutes are.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I quite like my Sweetone...If you have a Clarke original or something of that nature, play them side by side...to me the Sweetone sounds a little better and is easier to play.
While both have that raised seam, I haven't noticed that the sound quality differs so much in those from, say, my Walton black, from having the seam in them...from my experience, the plastic seams on the inside of the fipple are more to worry about, but your mileage may vary.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I quite like D Sweetones, but I'm not sure about the Cs. The ones I've played weren't brilliantly in tune. My C Clarke Original, on the other hand, is quite well in tune... asks for too much air though.

Always did wonder why they didn't do something about that edge inside the bore...

Do Shaws have a similar feature?
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

buddhu wrote:I quite like D Sweetones, but I'm not sure about the Cs. The ones I've played weren't brilliantly in tune. My C Clarke Original, on the other hand, is quite well in tune... asks for too much air though.

Always did wonder why they didn't do something about that edge inside the bore...

Do Shaws have a similar feature?
Yes, Shaws do have that edge inside the bore (if you're referring to the raised seam -- an edge of sheet metal that extends inside the whistle at right angles to the circumference).

They have it because it facilitates manufacturing the whistles. It's a leftover artifact of the way the sheet metal blank engages with the roller to change a flat piece of sheet metal into the rolled, conical, finished shape.

Best wishes,
Jerry
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Tyler. methinks the game's afoot....I was about to call you a rude bold imposter, but Brett is my favorite too. :)

The Sweetone sounds to me too pure in so many ways as to almost be artificial or mechanical; I really prefer the tone of the Clarke original. I have several of both and I think that the seam on some Clarkes is sharp enough to be uncomfortable whilst playing; I hadn't really noticed any effect on tone, but perhaps Jerry will be more scientific and come up with something.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This was meant as a whistle for children, I believe,
but it caught on generally. M. Copeland designed the
mouthpiece. Some people think it's the whistle
equivalent of bubble gum; others that it's
lovely.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

jim stone wrote:This was meant as a whistle for children, I believe,
but it caught on generally.
Interesting. I would have thought that the Clarke originals would be
the more toy-like whistle, especially since Michael Copeland designed
the head (instead of, say, me). But I wouldn't put anything past
marketing...
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I am another who think the Sweet Tones are "too sweet". I have tried that head on my Bb Generation tube, and it is acceptable, but, in D, my next fav sop whistle is an old "Mellow D" (Soodlem? They changed hands and design, so no longer available) fipple on my Generation D tube from a couple of whistles that I bought back in the 80s.

My current fave soprano C and D whistles are the Clarke origionals. When you finally are fully relaxed and comfortable with it, the "seam" isn't uncomfortable. I first used a little poster putty where my thumbs rested, but now I don't bother as I don't notice the seam now.

The wood sometimes tastes bad on a new whistle, so I usually put a couple of drops of cinnamon oil on the plug (yee-hah! Hot whistle!) of my new ones until I get them broken in.

I have heard rumors that they are R&Ding a low D patterned after the orig. design. I can hardly wait until it is on the market!
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

PhilO wrote:The Sweetone sounds to me too pure in so many ways as to almost be artificial or mechanical;

Philo
You have just perfectly described not the way my sweetone sounds. It's got a breathy quality that I'm not very fond of, Not that I dislike breathy in all whistles, but it more makes it sound cheap. It's a bad breathy. I would probably like an artificial sounding whistle (I like them real pure).

Maybe I got a bad one. I will play again.

More whistles will be shipped tomorrow morning. :twisted:
Everyone likes music
joshjess

Post by joshjess »

jim stone wrote:This was meant as a whistle for children, I believe,
but it caught on generally. M. Copeland designed the
mouthpiece. Some people think it's the whistle
equivalent of bubble gum; others that it's
lovely.
The Meg is now seen as the learning whistle for kids, my local school has a box that they play.
Looking for a whistle?
http://www.musicians-choice.co.uk