Songs you hate to love- your secret shame

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

Ok some of you have confessed to some terrible things but I not only like Danny Boy I am a fan of Mel Torme.

Ron skooby do wa do wa
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

RonKiley wrote:Ok some of you have confessed to some terrible things but I not only like Danny Boy I am a fan of Mel Torme.

Ron skooby do wa do wa
To like the Velvet Fog is not shameful.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

RonKiley wrote:Ok some of you have confessed to some terrible things but I not only like Danny Boy I am a fan of Mel Torme.
Mel Torme is one of the great jazz singers. I have only listened to him a bit long ago, but he is no one to be embarrassed about liking!
As for Danny Boy, it depends on who's singing it.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

SteveK wrote:
Tommy wrote:Sammy Davis ''Candy Man''
Is that the same Candy Man that Mississippi John Hurt recorded.

All you ladies gather 'round
The good sweet candy man's in town.
I don't think so?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

''The Beatles'' I try to play some of their music on my whistle. Please don't tell the ITM police.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

NancyF, Joanie, et.al. - I swear this is not me! :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Miki & Griff singing Rocking Alone In An Old Rocking Chair. A song so schmaltzy it should be Irish. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

and of course any song sung by Barry Fitzgerald in The Quiet Man. :P
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Cynth wrote:
Mel Torme is one of the great jazz singers. I have only listened to him a bit long ago, but he is no one to be embarrassed about liking!
Mel was one cool cat. I think of him every Christmas when I'm roasting chestnuts. :)

How about Melanie's "I've Got a Brand New Pair of Roller-skates"... my skin crawls every time I hear it... yet I always listen closely. :shock:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Tommy wrote:''The Beatles'' I try to play some of their music on my whistle. Please don't tell the ITM police.
No one should ever feel ashamed for listening to the Beatles. Although I have to admit that I have never tried to play their music on my whistle.... :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

UGH - I am very embarased to admit this, but here goes. "Sara Smile" and "She's Gone" by . . . . . . Hall & Oats.

My wife just loves to poke fun at me for liking anything by these guys (and I can't say that I really blame her :lol: ).
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

ISU Trout Bum wrote:UGH - I am very embarased to admit this, but here goes. "Sara Smile" and "She's Gone" by . . . . . . Hall & Oats.

My wife just loves to poke fun at me for liking anything by these guys (and I can't say that I really blame her :lol: ).
'Abndoned Luncheonette' is a pretty doggone good album. Before they got popular and hit oriented.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Cynth wrote:
Mel was one cool cat. I think of him every Christmas when I'm roasting chestnuts. :)
Nothin' wrong with being a Mel Torme fan...I'm one too. My fav of his is so cliche that that's what I'm almost embarrassed to admit; I looove his rendition of Stardust.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Tony wrote:Wombat's from Australia... I thought Wagner might have been a musicial group from 'down unda' you know.. like The Wiggles...

:o
No, he's much worse than that.

I was more than half serious. His antisemitism alone would be a serious turn off although if you only appreciate art by people you morally approve of that could narrow the field to the point where there is hardly anybody else bar the Singing Nun. (Whatever happened to her?) What I hate about Wagner most is his music: triumphal, self-satisfied, bombastic, meglamaniacal, oozing all that is worst in European culture. Yuk. Of course, you might find it technically brilliant but I find the things I don't like getting in the road of things I would like if they served a more modest aesthetic vision.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wombat wrote:...if you only appreciate art by people you morally approve of that could narrow the field to the point where there is hardly anybody else bar the Singing Nun...
Nope Wombat. 'Fraid we're going to have to nix her too. Dominique, after all, praises the suppression of the Albigensians during a Catholic inquisition, and therefore must be reviled by any DaVinci Code adherents who believe in that the Cathars were protectors of the truth.
:lol: