O'Grady half set on eBay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jessica Ventura
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

O'Grady half set on eBay

Post by Jessica Ventura »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7346516070

Hey PJ you missed this one.

Jessica
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

PJ...you missed this one too...

Ebay pipes

Okay.....not quite a set but there is potential

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

US$1,009 Reserve not met.
PJ
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I still think it looks like Neil has skewered a marshmallow on the end of his chanters! :P
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I've liked the tone of every one of his chanters I have heard to date... but I find them uncomfortable to hold due to the bulky F nat key mount.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Yeah Joe, I agree. That F nat mount does seem on the large side.

With a good reed, O'Grady chanters have a great sound. A real "oomph" to them.
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I've liked the tone of every one of his chanters I have heard to date... but I find them uncomfortable to hold due to the bulky F nat key mount.
I agree on both counts. My first chanter was by Niel and I ended up just taking the mount off with a file. Looked great afterward and felt much better in the hands.
David Levine

Thanks--

Post by David Levine »

Thanks for the info re the F nat key. I bought the O'Grady set on Ebay. It's mad to start at my age but it's something I've always wanted to do. And probably safer than hang-gliding or bungee-jumping.
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Thanks--

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Good luck and have fun... you're never too old for that.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

If you find the mount hindering your placement of the right thumb you can easily reduce it's size with a sanding drum (Dremel tool) and it will be more like the tapered mounts that Bruce Childress or David Boisvert are making.

The Bb key will touch the Cnat key (opening that note too) when pressed too far. I ended up grinding (shortening) the Bb key, but you could put cork beneath the key and acheive the same results.

Watch the tie-in from the hose to bag. That can come loose. It's suggested to put a thin coating of contact adhesive on the stock where it meets the leather to keep it from shifting... re-tie it with the same nylon cord.

The short 1/4" brass tube that goes from the bag to the windcap can break off where it joins the reedcap. I repaired it by pushing the tube in 1/8" into the hole and soldering it from the inside. The other option is to use (stronger) silver solder.
Last edited by Tony on Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Thanks--

Post by PJ »

David Levine wrote:It's mad to start at my age but it's something I've always wanted to do.
Mental instability is a great advantage when learning to play the uilleann pipes. :boggle: :wink:
PJ
David Levine

Thanks

Post by David Levine »

Thanks for the advice. This forum seems to have fewer poseurs (fewer people presenting themselves as accompished players) than other forums. Posters seem more modest. I suppose that is because playing the pipes keeps one modest.
People on the flute forum who have been playing for three months give advice freely to those playing for a month or so, and feel competent to comment on a makers' skill (or lack thereof).
Here, despite the obvious madness playing the pipes entails, there is a certain honesty about one's abilities. Or so it seems thus far-- I've been lurking for a year or so.
Lorenzo

Re: Thanks

Post by Lorenzo »

David Levine wrote:This forum seems to have fewer poseurs (fewer people presenting themselves as accompished players) than other forums. Posters seem more modest. I suppose that is because playing the pipes keeps one modest.
Ahha! An idealist! May you never change your views! Good luck on the pipes and don't judge anything over just one set, or one or two mediocre reeds, or D sets only! And don't underestimate the value of an instructor-advisor.